Monday, June 19, 2023

PRIDE MOOD


I tell you, I haven't been this exhausted from doing Prides festivities since I was in my late 20's!!! This weekend was the third Pride Celebration I attended this season, and I can tell you we are out in larger than normal numbers....and that's a good thing. It been great seeing all of the LGBTQ come together for a change and support each other. It is also amazing to talk to people and learn that for many this was their first Pride, or one they haven't attended in ages...even some queens that admitted they didn't "need" Prides...but know even they have seen it more important than ever, to be seen. I just knew Balitmore wouldn't disappoint. Back in the day, Balitmore was my clans home away from home. It was nothing for us to just up and decide we were going to Balitmore for the night. They had bars and nightclubs everywhere. And their Gay Pride festivals were always a hit with the DC and Harrisburg crowds. Our usual routine would be to go down, get parked, take drinks in order of Grand Central Station, the Allegro, then head to the legendary Hippo. The place was huge!!! And the DJ was often off the hook. I can remember one Pride year if was so packed there was nowhere to dance for little ole me...so two big jock boys put me up on a cigarette machine, remember those??? And I tore my whole routine up that on that space. And that was the beginning of my box and bar top dancing obsession! Most nights after the club let out, it was often off to Gampy's, where anyone and everyone who was a nightclub urchin would go for breakfast. The place was posh, camp, and loud. I recall many a night waiting for our food to arrive, and yours truly would pull a French Exit...either to blow a guy in the bathroom who was giving me ogling eye contact, or I'd leave Gampy's altogether to go to their place for sex. Never mind my food was waiting. But we all did it. Our agreement was if we hooked up, we were all to meet at the car or cars by daybreak. If one didn't hook up, they were already in the car sleeping. Ahhhh good times! Balitmore also always had a HUGE and serious drag community, and it was where I ended up getting most of my wigs done and buying the big jewels...from a place called Madame Woo's....sadly long gone. But By damn, this weekend was like coming home again. On tap next weekend will be the big one....NYC PRIDE!!! A few snaps from the weekend sprinkled in with some images.

I talked with this queen at length, Betty O'Hellno. I plan to return to see a show of hers.
This guy at one pub was kind enough to let me take a picture of him in this tee shirt, that I thought was funny as hell!!!! Thanks T!!!!

Meanwhile...this little ditty sums the mood currently...

43 comments:

  1. "haven't been this exhausted from doing Prides festivities since I was in my late 20's!!!" ROFLMAO!! You're going to need another vacation to reenergize recharge recover. Happy Pride! This is motivating me to reconsider my decision. I may head to Long Beach Pride in August after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say you should go Shirley. You have time to rest up till then and any pride festival could use your spunk! Not to mention t-shirt messages.

      Delete
  2. This all sounds like so much fun. Sometimes, ya just gotta let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes!
    THIS is why I do Pride festivities. Thank you!
    And I love the pics and I can totally believe you had a blast! And Betty O'Hellno? Fab.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. FAB-U-LOUS! Our "Gay Xmas" is a week on Saturday, and the excitement is building... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well dear.....the biggest blow up is coming up this weekend here....just in time too. Ill be lucky to get three hours sleep.

      Delete
  5. Impressive history, sweetpea! Your photos are gorgeous. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a blast!!!!! I guess this would be the equlivent of you Crew festivities. I sure hope you need well?!

      Delete
  6. Great to see Divine on a mural! Fab photos, toots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "so two big jock boys put me up on a cigarette machine" - I bet they did! (They probably looked up your skirt too, didn't they?)

    Fabulous, darling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They gave me a raise what can I say?

      Delete
  8. Love that you're having so much fun! And I really loved your reminisces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh boy I got more stories where they came from. Did you buy my Memoir when they were selling it at rest stops across America?

      Delete
  9. There's a glorious pictures! And what's not to love about Betty O' Hellno?!?! You must have been something I'll tell you. I'm just glad I never had the babysit you. And I think you probably still are! Happy gay pride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny.... my male partners tell me I'm a handful.

      Delete
  10. Out and proud and loud and voting and not gonna sit by and take this bull shit any longer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your snap shots...you little minx! You must have been one horny pip. Wait did I say used to? STILL! The balloons make me happy too. And the guy's tee shirt?!?!? Good one. You didn't do him did you???? We have been to two Prides ourself. Our Pride in LA was June 11 and had over 200,000 people in attendance..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even imagine what LA's pride festival and parade would be like. I'm sure I'll come back with at least four STDs!

      Delete
  12. Balitmore is such a fun city. I haven't been inn a few years. And I agree, the night scene was huge and soooo damn fun. I also thought the men were very friendly and welcoming there. Love the Pride photos...and I want all those donuts!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Pride Hennnny!!!!!! LOVE the mural of Divine! How did I ever miss that on trips to Balitmore gurl?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's true - Everyone does deserve to sparkle!! Glad you're having lots of fun, and I love those balloon pics!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  15. When are you going to write your X rated biography? Sure to be a best seller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean to say you missed the memoir tour?!?!? It was at rest stops everywhere!!!

      Delete
  16. So much color everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's clear, starry beards are in this season.

    PS I thought you were in your early 20s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Early 20's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

      Delete
  18. I'm glad you had a great time. Those pictures are wonderful, as well as that Divine mural.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would like to attend one but it's been a long amount of years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. the eels... omw. been ages. HAPPY PRIDE, my dear. Glad you were in your element. And I want that t-shirt! Our pride is next week, and not going, as there is no outdoor concert again this year to compel me. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people I don't want to be around, I'd work for a living. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of people I don't want to be around, I'd work for a living." ROTFLMAO!!!!!! I figured you probably heard of the eels!!!!

      Delete
  21. OMG...I love that "gay by birth, proud by choice". First time I have heard that!! LOVE LOVE LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous6/20/2023

    Just wanted to let you know that dropout tv is doing a four episode dungeons and dragons actual play show called Dungeons and Drag Queens, I think as a direct response to what is happening in the US. They are a super inclusive and safe org. Queens playing are Bob the Drag Queen, Monét X Change, Jujubee and Alaska Thunderfuck. It's a subscription service but hey, cancel after a month or stay because they're great. I'm not in any way connected to them, just love their stuff and don't want anyone to miss this who would love it! If you google dimension twenty and dungeons and drag queens you should get the trailer. Tina in west oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon for the fresh tip....I will have to go off and have a look see. Maybe even do a post about it! Happy Pride Month!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous6/21/2023

      Thank you, to you too! I'm anon because my phone won't let me sign in to comment. Tina in West Oz, a crossover from Going Gently. :)

      Delete
    3. Welcome Tina!!!!! I just adore John and his blog...such a sweet and caring man. Pop in any time dear!

      Delete
  23. These pictures made me so happy to see. So glad you had a nice time. I actually love hearing your sordid stories from then too. More please!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love the colors! the LGBT flag should have all the colors perceptible to the human eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right because we certainly are colorful bunch!

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!