Thursday, June 15, 2023

JUBILEE DAY

And yes...all these building are still standing! 

Today is the day that the fair little hamlet of Mechanicsburg has its day. Dubbed by promoters as the largest one-day street fair in the East Coast and now possibly country has been an annual tradition in the small town here since its inception in 1922. It has become such an industry unto itself that the name Jubilee Day even has its own trademark. In fact, the town's population swells to ten times its normal size during the event. Thank heavens we don't live near Main Street!!!  Shirley from over at Boots and Braids asked me what it was about. Besides eating!!! And I didn't know it's origin. Apparently, the event got its start in nearby Gettysburg, when some Mechanicsburg businessmen attended a similar celebration and brought it up to town. It was dubbed Farmers and Merchants Day to thank customers of downtown businesses and to attract lots of new customers to the downtown and town in general. By holding it in June, the local merchants were sure of attracting the local farming community which had just got its crop in the ground and didn't have much else to do. The town quickly embraced the idea and it continued to grow. In changed its name in 1930. During the second world war the event was not held at all, otherwise ran uninterrupted every year except for the two years of the pandemic and one year due to very heavy rains. At first, the livestock judging was considered one of the main highlights of the event. But it has now grown from these humble beginnings to become the mammoth street fair of today which closes the main street and several side streets down for the day, and it starts from dawn till sunset to accommodate over 70,000 visitors!

And if offers every food one can think of. While walking, one can hear the hardening of the blood vessels and arteries, and the seams of many a persons outfit crying for help. All types of fair foods ..but the funnel cakes, candied apples and greasy foods seem to be the most popular, while there are also many healthy options too...in addition to live music and bands, there are rides, and many artisans and crafts people selling their wares and handy craft. It's been since I originally moved to the Philadelphia area in 2000 since I have been, except once five years ago on a visit home. But when I was young, it was a tradition we'd go every year...we even called it Jubilee month. We'd go and eat, and run into everyone we knew, stuffing our faces! And they still even have a Jubilee Queen, but I didn't throw my hat in the arena for that. But wouldn't that be funny? Last time I was there, I did however run into Harrisburg queen Ito, who was in full drag. She is stunning...and the crowd had no idea that it was even a man I suspect. Will we go tonight?  HELL YES!  but the Mistress has a plan. We go, park, walk the sidewalk along the main street, scope out the Camp Curtain Pulled Pork Sammich stand, and the funnel cake stand, split up, divide and conquer and meet back up on the sidewalk, head to the car, and bring it home to eat it in peace and quiet. Hey.!!!..we have more style and clothe than to let everyone else see us eat like fieldhands and gobble like hogs!!!!

38 comments:

  1. sounds like more fun than our church fete!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!
    Sounds like three tons of fun. And I can believe the population swells during these times. I'm doing PrideFest in Chi and I just know the crowd is gonna be huge.
    Yay street fairs!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be three tons by the end of tonight....

      Delete
  3. Jubilee Day around here isn't until Monday. “A day celebrated on the anniversary of the order, issued by Major General Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, proclaiming freedom for slaves in Texas. Also called: Juneteenth National Independence Day, Emancipation Day, Freedom Day, Black Independence Day and JUBILEE DAY”. The day has only been declared a federal holiday for the last two years, but has been observed for 157 years. The Mechanicsburg Street Jubilee Day Fair looks to be more fun than celebrations taking place in the areas that care about Juneteenth Jubilee Day around here, but the tradeoff is the folks get a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, this Jubilee Day has nothing to do with freedom of slaves or Juneteenth. And this is no holiday either...although boat loads take the day off to go to this one. I just may get into a square cut bathing suit after tonight oink fest.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious to see what they're deep frying this year. I was joking with my brother last night they were deep frying Tide Pods at the local fair this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deep Friend vapes.

      Delete
    2. Cali Boi...your bad!!!!! This only deep fried I saw this year RJ was all kinds of veggies, and deep fried ice cream. We ourselves had DELISH pulled Pork BBQ, wonderful french fries to wash it down with and then a funnel cake!!!!! I feel like Jabba the Hutt right now. Was it worth it! HELL YES! I'll walk it off this weekend I'm sure...or other ways, wink!!!!

      Delete
  5. Now I'm hungry and I'd like someone to pull my pork and make me jubileeeeeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let Carlos work his magic dear.....maybe we will read all about it in Tales of Carlos next week?!?!?!

      Delete
  6. Taking it home to eat sounds great to me. Do they serve all those things on a stick? Corn dogs, tempura pickles, chocolate covered bacon, chocolate covered banana, fried Snickers... Funnel cakes sound really good right now. But every time I've had them at a fair, I've regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is only ONE thing I eat that is on a stick and your guess is probably accurate. All the food we got tonight was DE-LISH! Whatever BBQ they used on the pulled pork was excellent...spicy, semi-sweet but yet had some kick to it!

      Delete
    2. For me, there's no better pulled pork than SG's. Take that how you like.

      Delete
  7. And for a change, this year it's sunny!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where I live is a major sugar producing area and, until a few years ago, there was an Annual Cane Fair.There was a parade of decorated floats and then everyone spilled over onto the green outside Council buildings.Some side shows, lots of food stands, gentle carousel rides for tiny tots and a brilliant girl with a saxophone. Damn! She was good! I sold a few small prints one year.But it petered out a few years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sound like it was a fun time! But inquiring minds want to know were you Miss Sugar Cane Queen???

      Delete
  9. Enjoy the pulled pork and funnel cakes! Oink oink

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation I feel like the Goodyear blimp today

      Delete
  10. It seems to me the east coast and down south have far more fairs and carnivals than out here on the West Coast. And don't you worry about eating... I see your figure. You're one of those people that can eat and eat and still stay in shape. Course, might also explain why you have so much sex. Good sex burns a ton of calories!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By damn it...the sex must be it!!!!!! Who the fuck needs Weight Watchers???

      Delete
  11. didn't you already get your prok pulled enough last weekend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now don't you be worried about my pork or who was doing the pulling.

      Delete
  12. I for one think it's great that this little hamlet is still carrying on this tradition. Nothing like a nice street fair or carnival. I havn't had a funnel cake or cotton candy in ages. But when I get moved to the beach, I just might treat myself to some cotton candy or a funnel cake, you wait.
    And your line of "Hey.!!!..we have more style and clothe than to let everyone else see us eat like fieldhands and gobble like hogs!!!!" had me in stiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well our photo cake was absolutely delicious, and I saw lots of cotton candy being spun on a stick, but I have to really really be hungry before I eat cotton candy .. it's just so sweet.

      Delete
  13. I haven't been to a street fair in years!!!! I can almost smell the deliciousness from here...and that certainly looks like it gets PACKED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was absolutely packed. And of course like always we run into people we know. We actually ran into my niece with her new husband there. I haven't seen her in about 5 years.

      Delete
  14. You would be the most glamorous Jubilee Queen they could have!
    This sounds a little like the County Shows we have in England - food and crafts, livestock, beer tents, and farmers flashing their tractors. I haven't been to one in ages, but they used to be fun.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flashing their tractors? Boy I tell you you really know how to sweeten the pot. I was always told it wasn't the size of their tractor, but how it plowed the field?

      Delete
  15. love your description, but reading "hardening of the blood vessels and arteries" I smiled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the amount of hot looking boys over there yesterday that wasn't the only thing hardening!

      Delete
    2. I can easily believe!

      Delete
  16. Never heard of this holiday. Will Pam be making an appearance? Just to remind folks to be a bit careful? These days, I avoid crowds as pictured. So, no gay pride fest for me. No state fair. But if it were a group of naked men.... I could be persuaded. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just a local day here...no national holiday. If you want to hang with naked boys, book a trip to the Woods...we shall have a nice, grand ole time!!!!!

      Delete
  17. Well those comments are hard to follow. Looks like a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It lloks like a lot of fun. Pulled Pork? Yes, please. (And I bet you pulled your fair share!) Funnel Cake? Sprinkled with confectionary, yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the look I saw of some of the guys I saw there, there was enough pork to pull.

      Delete
  19. It is nice and a bit odd seeing crowds again.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!