Tuesday, June 21, 2022

GAY PRIDE- CORETTA SCOTT KING


Corette Scott King was always there to reminds us that racism and homophobia are inextricably linked. She was a lifelong political activist, whose advocacy ranged from the Black Freedom Movement to the anti-Vietnam War movement, even did much for queer liberation. In 1983, King advocated for the political visibility of the National Coalition of Black Gays, and the National Gay Task Force. As the HIV/AIDS epidemic escalated, she hosted regular events to keep the public educated, and she spoke at the DNC in support of AIDS legislation, at a time when neither party was really doing much on legislation then. King remained very vocal in her work until the end of her life. She was very loudly against the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and supported the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the anti-hate crime legislation. In 2004 she even called then President Bush's proposed same sex marriage ban " a form of gay bashing." I personally adored the woman.

Happy Pride🌈

17 comments:

  1. Like her husband, she stood for equality for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know she took a lot of flack, including from her own black community, for supporting LGBTQ rights. She was as principled and as strong as her husband though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She was the voice for many communities, many seem to forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When she spoke, she changed the civil rights movement. I remember well some of her queer movement speeches. We sure could use more like she and her husband Martin these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I wonder where all the Kings are these days.

      Delete
  5. I bet many our age had no idea she was such an advocate for the LGBT. I know I didn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous6/21/2022

    I learned a lot about her from your post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so glad Gabriel, she was a wonderful woman.

      Delete
  7. Anonymous6/21/2022

    Yes, and she did it when women didn't have the voice they have today. Where are these women today?????? Lost in Twitter somewhere I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered the same thing.

      Delete
  8. How much worse the world would be had it not been for the Kings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mitchell, but I sure hope that all their work doesn't get undone. They would be shuttering at the state of things today.

      Delete
  9. How thrilling to know. Thanks for educating us. Adore these posts... I keep discovering things I did not know about these people. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad Upton. I think it's nice to pay homage, and not let these names slip from our vision and what they all contributed.

      Delete
  10. I love learning new stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!