Wednesday, February 16, 2022

MADDY


I don't just like this queen because we share the same name, but it was the style that took me back to what drag is. Maddy Morphosis definitely ruffled some feathers. And it's also been called upon her skills and ensembles may not have been the best, and her drag was subpar to even be on Drag Race. But I didn't mind it. That is what drag is in most cities and towns, in clubs and bars. Not every queen has big budgets to showcase haute couture, which is the one problem I have with the show. A true queen can put anything together with no budget. It's what us queens used to do. And Maddy had some very cool ideas. And even cooler was that Maddy was the shows first cis gender heterosexual contestant. Her place in the competition has been a hot topic, a lightning rod with some, and many in the gay community believing that straight people should not be featured. But kudos to the drag queen community who have welcomed her with open arms. I sometimes feel drag queens are the communities saving grace. I feel the gay community and the gay activist clamoring for gay safe spaces and protecting the LGBT community from a straight drag queen on a reality show seem to forget about a bill languishing in the Senate, which affects our ACTUAL safe spaces, home and work life from the real discrimination. Let's stop running around hysterical because a straight man is doing drag on a show. I adore her and quickly got a soft spot for her. Maddy is a small-town camp and comedy queen and represented well I thought. Maddy's quirky performances set her apart from the pack and she proved she can perform with the best of them, not to mention beat out tons of other queens vying to even get on the show. Hailing from Arkansas, she draws inspiration from pop culture, art, nostalgia and then flips it on its head, often in crazy and ridiculous ways.

While she may have been a bit dull, and that may have made things worse for her, she did give competent, but unexciting performances, and yes, may have worn some things that felt pedestrian, and barely scraped through a bottom two lip sync, only because her competitor June was a compete mess from the start. At that point it was clear Maddy was not cast alongside her identity as straight, but solely because of it. The show has a very clear top 5 to me already. But I give Maddy the tip of the hat for getting on and having the balls and the open mind to pursue drag as a straight male, and work through his issues with his sexual identity. I find it even cooler that he met his girlfriend in life while doing drag, and she herself is also doing drag by the name Liza the Queen! I would love to see Maddy in another couple years, and I bet she will really bring it. But then again, I love me the hometown queen style.

27 comments:

  1. I thought her was a little rough looking, and not quite as pulled together as other queens, but gave him massive props for being a cisgender male drag queen.
    But in these photos he has clearly upped his game or he didn't get far enough in the competition to show his stuff.
    Colonel Sanders in a garter slays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A queen friend of mine has seen Maddy and said he can get quite polished...but then that's not who or the style of drag he wants. His ideas would be great in NYC. I surmise we would have seen more looks...but I don't know the performance would have arrived just yet.

      Delete
    2. I did feel he was a little timid in performance. But the more you do anything the better you get.

      Delete
  2. Style and creativity have no gender. No sexuality. And this queen has both. How fun. Thanks for sharing. Me? I applaud kitchen sink gumption. Make due, make magic... Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here here! I too liked Maddy's vibe. Untucked made me feel a lot better about Maddy’s presence, and that seemed to be the general consensus. Given the amount of straight people who watch the show now, I hope they listen to what Maddy said about being a guest in a queer space and take it to heart.

    I was getting annoyed of the show obsessing about his sexuality. I would have been interested in hearing the show talk about his girlfriend some, as she’s a bisexual, drag queen herself like you said. I would really, really love to see some discussion of biphobia and the experiences of bi people in queer spaces, and I don’t mind Maddy bringing it up because as a bi woman myself it feels like there’s a lot of closed-minded bullshit with straight people and biphobia from gay people. I really appreciated that in Untucked Maddy stated, “there’s a thousand ways to be queer, but it feels like one way to be straight”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly sister!!!! I am curious to see how a seasoned heterosexual man who does drag...like real polished would do?

      Delete
  4. Tell them Mistress!!!!!! I didn't mind Maddy in the least. And yes, RuPaul cast him and yet could not let the straight angle from being brought up. Annoying! Gay people need to have a chill about him being a contestant. We gripe about acceptance and discrimination, and then yet are the first to discriminate within our own community. YOU GO MADDY! LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Maddy too. Not the most put together, but he reminded me of the drag queens in my own town and I could relate too.

    On a side note, in general, I am very underwhelmed and bored with this season with exception to Lady Camden and Angeria. Kerri Colby is one my last gay nerve!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Not the most exciting season. I still should be my top 5...and mu order they leave...although sorry to see Kornbread go.

      Delete
  6. I will admit to being up in arms with Maddy on the show at first. We can't have gay clubs anymore and they became hen party hangouts, but now straights on DragRace???? But then what Maddy said in untucked is pretty beautiful tbh, I wasn’t totally sold on the idea at first, but I totally support this queen now. She seems like a beautiful person at heart and a great ally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 'off with her head' is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wait. What? The community needs to remember this: Drag is a performance. Good, bad, or indifferent. It takes time to build up skills. I watched last week and thought I'd be toast because I wouldn't know even a third of the lyrics to the songs Ru makes them sync. Chill, people. Cisgender men - from whence drag originated - are not trying to take over the scene. May he and his wife continue to learn and shine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed....drag is drag and it shouldn't matter who it is doing drag. If your good with a schtick and can perform...more power to the individual I say.

      Delete
  9. OMG, her Colonel Sanders drag! Am stealing that photo for an upcoming post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed Maddy, was sorry to see her go, but she got absolutely crushed in the dance off. She looks like she's having the time of her life in each of these photos. Hopefully, her dancing skills have improved as much as the outfits have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, wot a pink 'at! It would cover up all the Maddy-Antoinette gore, although of course it would clash somewhat with the gore. And then there's the crocheted apron! Maddy Morphosis has a lively imagination, surely that's an essential for a queen?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. As your aware Ricko....I love me a large hat.

      Delete
  13. I.LOVE.HER.PHOTOS.

    Once again, thank you, sweetpea, for sharing! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Col. Sanders look is deeply disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope Deedles this didn't sour you on getting a bucket of chicken sometime? Now all you will think of is jahoobies with tassels hanging.

      Delete
    2. Sweetie, unfortunately, nothing can keep me away from fried chicken! I do, however, prefer Popeye's to KFC. It's not the tasseled jahoobies (ever grateful to Ann Marie for that word) that bother me. I dress my chickens all the time. It's the mustache and beardlet (I get goatees and van dykes mixed up all the time) that messed me up!

      Delete
  15. The Colonel Sanders? Love!
    The Cell inspired getup? Yes.
    The HAT? Honey...
    And she can bring the glam. People need to chill already.
    Maddy is a Ru girl now and nobody can take that away from her. And it's a PERFORMANCE fucking gender up and down the stage. So yes.
    She's gonna bring interesting things. And he's cute as a boy. He could hit it.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just knew he would look better with bigger hair! Bigger hair to me always makes the queen.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since I don’t watch Drag Race, I can’t comment on how Maddy amorphous is did there. But, here, I love her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous2/18/2022

    The images help me to appreciate Maddy more. I did not think she was very strong on the show, but lots of applause for being on it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!