Thursday, February 17, 2022

BENEATH THE SURFACE

I have always been drawn to the water and have always lived within 10 minutes or less of some form of body of water. But I'm far from a mermaid. I know enough to save myself and it ends there, yet I like going in the ocean, jet skiing, and have done rafting and tubing. I must have a death wish. I would love to scuba dive, but alas, I don't think my nerves are that close to steel, but the depths fascinate me so. Exhilarating. Fascinating. Yet very beautifully haunting. It was a week or two ago while watching PBS that there was a piece about an artist,  Jason deCaires Taylor, and I was sucked in to the next two hours. Jason is a British sculptor and creator of the world's first underwater sculpture park, The Molinere Underwater Sculpture Park. Taylor integrates his skills as a sculptor, marine conservationist, underwater photographer and a scuba instructor into each of his projects. 
The sculptures offer a mysterious, ephemeral encounter and fleeting glimmers of another world where art develops from the effects of nature on the efforts of man. The best part of the art installations and site-specific locations, it is subtly integrating aspects of street art but also encouraging marine life, to promote ocean conservation. They are designed to act as artificial reefs, attracting corals increasing biomass and aggregating fish species while crucially diverting tourist away from fragile natural reefs and thus providing space for natural rejuvenation. Another cool aspect I learned, all the sculptures were modeled after real people Taylor knows, and residents, current and past, from his town he lives in.

Taylor's art installations changes over time with the effects of their environment. The factors create a living aspect to the works, which would be impossible to reproduce artificially. As time passes and the works develop biological growth, they redefine the underwater landscape, evolving within the narrative of nature...and promote whole new coral reefs one day helping out our oceans.

The sculpture are actual life castings and cast into concrete, and where they are subsumed by the sea and transformed from lifeless stone into vibrant habitats for coral, crustaceans, fish populations and other creatures. The result: Enigmatic, haunting and colorful commentaries about our transient existence, the sacredness of the ocean and it's breathtaking power of regeneration. Some days life and some people of this planet still amaze me.

37 comments:

  1. Enigmatic and haunting. Is that the same as creepy? Fascinating. I suppose it beats butter sculptures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit creepy and haunting....but Im drawn to this for some reason.

      Delete
    2. Does it appeal to your hauntingly creepy side? I must admit, it is quite beautiful. Creepy can be gorgeous on ocassion.

      Delete
  2. A bit unnerving, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! Especially the woman leaning back with her arms outstretched and the fan corals growing on them like wings.
    I love swimming, and spend as much time underwater as possible, so I'd happily trade a LOT to become a mermaid and explore the oceans and art like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my....now you have me day dreaming of you being a merman!!!! You'd be a good merman.

      Delete
    2. Just call him "Ethel". Jx

      Delete
  4. Love that!
    I used to dive when I lived in Hawaii and it is the most amazing feeling; it's just under the surface of the ocean but it feels like another realm. I adore it, and I'd love to see that art installation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I caught that same special on PBS and was amazed by it and his art. Just the logistics of getting those sculptures on a boat and drop was something. But you right, some days some people still amaze me and Jason deCaires Taylor is one of them. Loved the info of his website too. Anyone to help the oceans and planet is alright in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this is fantastic.
    I once tried to learn to scuba dive and it was a struggle.
    Would love to do it here.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goodness me! Absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd learn to swim just to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous and you're correct about humanity still having the ability to amaze and transfix us! xoxo

    p.s. I can only enjoy the depths of the ocean on TV because sharks don't visit me, so I'll stay out of their house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine just coming upon this one day once it's all covered in coral!

      Delete
  9. I'm not sure how I should think about this. It's fascinating and creepy at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder what brings people to water. I'm not a water person really. I water skied when I was younger quite a bit. I like fishing. Just to go swimming it not my thing. My oldest son is same as me. But my youngest son loves the water.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well for me...I find water to be very calming and rejuvenating for the soul...especially the ocean.

      Delete
  11. As a swimmer, I would find this most interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see this....I bet it would be a unique experience if not somewhat spooky I think

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love swimming, diving and snorkeling so this would be amazing to see, if not a bit errie. No doubt it would be beautiful and a out-of-the-ordinary tourist activity.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm surprised that this artist would use concrete for his sculptures as cement & concrete production is a major producer of greenhouses gases! Concrete is not inert in water either -- if Mr. Taylor truly cared about marine ecosystems, he would use marble or other genuine stone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever idea and so artistic. I hadn't thought about the issues Tundra Bunny raises but they are very valid - perhaps the artist could not afford (or could not work in) stone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine it would have been a fortune.

      Delete
  16. I’m also drawn to his work. It becomes mystical.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too am a really weak swimmer and yet I love splashing about. I've been snorkeling a few times and loved the weightless floating aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im the same way. But a big side of beef in the water with a nice package helps get me in the water too.

      Delete
  18. Very clever. I'd love to see this in the real, but I'm a weak swimmer - I enjoy looking and having a bit of a paddle.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Maybe a submarine, up periscope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...now in a submersible Is do it!

      Delete
  20. Absolutely amazing. I'd learn to scuba to go see that!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a coincidence! I was looking at his stuff just the other day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew any of this if not for the PBS Special

      Delete
  22. Anonymous2/18/2022

    I will have to enjoy his work from the special. I don't enjoy scuba diving. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I feel so though Im mossing out.

      Delete
  23. I sure hope your are doing well Linda?

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is marvelous; I love it so; thank you for showing me these lovelies .

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!