Tuesday, February 1, 2022

FANTASTICAL

This week another one heads off to Fabulon. R.I.P  to James Bidgood, the visionary gay artist who created the film Pink Narcissus, a gay classic to me, created breathtaking photography, one who impersonated Carol Channing nightly at NYC'S fabled Club 82,  and was a huge inspiration to the likes of Dave LaChapelle and Pierre & Gilles. He was 88 and a very sweet man, and just as kooky as you would imagine. I have always loved his work, just beautiful, and conjures for me, dream like images full of color, fantasy and imagination. Which was the world of James Bidgood. This innovative and totally unique artist solidified his place in queer culture with the film Pink Narcissus, a fantastical, homoerotic celluloid dream mixing surrealism and fantasy to create some of the most beautiful and colorful illusions ever seen on film. To me, as a young gayling it was like being inside my mind, if you have ever wondered that?!? 


He created and built a compete world in which to shoot his art and forever changed the way queer imagery was viewed. Because of his eye for beauty and detail the highly stylized, elaborate scenes he created have continued to push the boundaries of homoerotic art for over more than fifty years. Largely self-taught, Bidgood transformed tricks both male and mechanical into proofs of better, queerer worlds. Forced perspective mixed with male-on-male affection, with smears of glitter and Vaseline that blurred the male gaze into a horny swoon.  Bidgood frothed his Follies memories into elaborate set and lighting designs for the stars of Club 82, a drag club, and his costumes for them, and even his own drag alter ego, Terry Howe. James was a delightful city and club fixture, and could be seen, boothed among vast hetero's at Club 82 in a clenched pose. He was known to hang with the like of Liz Taylor, Eddie Fisher, Judy Garland and the Gabor Sisters. The appeal became irresistible of his frocks. By the early 1960's, the women took his gowns and creations uptown, gentrifying them into jaw dropping creations paraded around the Junior League Mardi Gras Ball, of which some say, prefigured and similar appropriations by todays Met Ball. One of his more subdue creations....

Some of my favorite photographs above and below...
What I like the most about his work, he was elevating men who don't get elevated: queer men, fem men, sex workers, hustlers, and people from the drag world.

James Bidgood
March 28, 1933-January 31, 2022

37 comments:

  1. Wow! What fun and colorful person. Sorry I didn't hear about him, until I read your post.
    But if he kooky! it right up my alley.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you like art Dora, so I'm glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Sad news. I've never seen "Pink Narcissus." I've seen a lot of the gay classics but never this one, alas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Debs, I don't know it is an official gay classic, but in my own mind it was. It is an arthouse film, and tt visualizes the erotic fantasies of a gay male prostitute. The basic premise is between visits from his keeper, a male prostitute, alone in his apartment, lounges, fantasizing about worlds where he is the central character. For example, he pictures himself as a matador, a Roman slave boy and the emperor who condemns him, and the keeper of a male harem for whom another male performs a belly dance. It's out there, and campy.

      Delete
  3. Well, well. I wouldn't have thought the old dear was still on this side of the grass. Pink Narcissus is such a ridiculously fabulous... thing. Piece. Hallucination. I don't know what to call it, but nowhere else have I ever seen such a beautiful paean to a rentboy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome my mind Peenee. It's like he was in my head. And I think your comment brought some words I wanted but couldn't find. "is such a ridiculously fabulous... thing. Piece. Hallucination."

      You have brought me to my knees.

      Delete
  4. Such a fantastic fantasy world he created, full of joy.

    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink Narcissus is such a classic!
    Darn, so many awesome people moving on to Fabulon.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cap Chasen2/01/2022

    RIP James Bidgood, a truly unique artist. One of the greatest films ever made, yet most odd. But to this day I still recall the man in the movie theater dropping mustard on his cock and rubbing it, and the hung mail hung walking down the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. When I saw the mailman's cock, I had no idea at the time they even came in different sizes.

      Delete
  7. I had no idea he passed till I saw your post just now. Loved his photography and the film. I used to drink strong scotch and loll into the film. I have a great tall photo book of much of his work. And the film itself recorded on super 8 film using animation, when it was very laborious. It’s a masterpiece of Gay Cinema America.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ART HENNY!!!! The entire film and sets were shot in his small NYC apartment. Astonishing. And the artist as his drag ego Terry Howe- what a mean Carol Channing impersonation. NYC ate it up.


    ReplyDelete
  9. Pure beauty was his photography. And the film way ahead of its time. I have to agree, as a young gayling, it was some of the first penis I ever saw. It definitely an arty movie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this! And one can clearly see the P&G trajectory.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2/02/2022

    Beautiful work. Loved the photo of him smiling at the end. RIP

    ReplyDelete
  12. What? how sad, another one. I had the pleasure of meeting him at a screening once. What a hoot he was and a true visionary.

    While watching the Pink Narcissus, there is no need to smoke weed or dip in the "candy dish" You'll still hallucinate. Brillant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rest in Love James!

    I loved his work and of course the movie. It had great use of color, and excessive use of dick.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Will have to watch Pink Narcissus again as an homage to a great talent and brave person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow... total coincidence. I just finished my Valentine's post and looked up the photographer for the one photo and discovered all these others and learned about the man. A pioneer, for sure. These photos are still very much alive today. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now that's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like what you've shown us here. Not familiar with the film. Perhaps I should see if I can find it.... Talent like that doesn't come along every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You Tube it Pat. The whole film is on there. And it is very different I'll tell you that.

      Delete
  18. Wow! Sure beats Jackson Pollack! That top photo reminds me of R.E.M.'s video Losing My Religion. Was that an homage? As usual, I'm ignorant of the artist but may he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. RIP! I want to see Pink Narcissus. Is it available on streaming media?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you YouTube it, it's the first thing that comes up. The enitre film. It's different!!

      Delete
  20. Very interesting creations. Seems people are dying left and right these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep 2022 is shaping to be another bitch.

      Delete
  21. What wonderful work! I have not heard of him before. It's a shame his work was not appreciated by a larger audience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess to each their own. But I just adored his color and the dream like state of his work. Not to mention, like already commented on above, what's not to like about more dancing penis?

      Delete
  22. Great camp minds think alike - I did a tribute to the fabulous Mr Bidgood today as well.

    RIP, one of the great aesthetes... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God forbid we ever bump into each other in a glory hole.

      Delete
    2. "Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the..."? Jx

      Delete
  23. With you fine touche' you'd been a great model for him.

    ReplyDelete
  24. One of my bucket list items is to wear a Pan costume, somewhere some how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's the case, I have to dig out a picture of my friend who dressed as Pan one Halloween, hoofs and all.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!