Wednesday, May 19, 2021

SHEQUIDA

Shequida is glamorous, and sexy. She is funny and a little kooky.  When I think back of the early days of going into New York clubbing as a young gayling, in the most of the 90's, the clubs shook and the queens were fierce! Bunny, Sherry, Hedda, Mona Foot, Sweetie, Cashetta, L'Homma Van Zandt, Harmonica Sunbeam, Faboo, Joey Arias and Shequida Hall. These were queen that put love, sweat, and tears of making their drag careers...no reality show to bring them up. And most of them are still going strong. I have fond memories of Shequida at her shows at Monster, Barracuda and Escuelita. Her shows continue in New York...I can't wait to get back and see her again....a New York legend by all means. Shequida is a classically trained opera singer, songwriter and playwright,  who migrated from Jamaica to New York in the late 80's and eventually trained at Juilliard. But then drag happened. But since then she has been bringing a combination of her spellbinding voice with her sickening lewks to take drag performance to a classy new level. As Michael Musto of the Village voice once said "with that voice, Shequida brings together the bourgeoisie and the unwashed masses in bravos." He is right. To this day she is still bringing a damn fine entertaining show. Not many queens around that can carry a whole show themselves for over an hour.  I only wish I was more out of my quarantine already from my second shot, because this Friday she, Lady Bunny and Amanda Lepore start a new weekly show in Queens at the Yards,  in the Hudson Yards. That is bound to be fierce children. If in New York...event deets and tickets here.

20 comments:

  1. Wow. She'sgorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hennny.....I remember seeing her, Mona Foot and Peppermint doing shows all the time when I went into New York with the cities club kids. Shequida was fierce! She owned the Barracuda.

    There are not queens like the ones of NYC...they are tough, legendary and have staying stamina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is amazing how many are still are going strong. The show's were so entertaining...and when the crowd enjoyed the show more then a meet and greet....like now.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe Shequida is still around and she looks fucking fabulous! I still miss Sweetie and Mona Foot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE HER!!! Back when I started the New York scene she and Harmonica Sunbeam had a show, and I then realized I should have been a woman. She looks better than ever. I miss New York. That new show sounds like it's right up my ally...can you imagine how entertaining that will be? Let's go Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WERK IT QUEEN! I recall a show she and Candis Cayne had. That was before Candis transitioned so you know that going back.

    Your right about New York...those queens got the staying power more then any other city. Can't believe how many are still going strong, most of them really. San Fran might be second.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, mmm. She looks spectacularly sexy, as do some of those men.
    Thanks for your walk down memory lane. Although I lived in the SF Bay Area in the 90s, I don't think that drag queen scene was anything like NY's.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But doll...you had the fabulous Peaches Christ, Heklina and Juniata Moore!

      Delete
  7. Glamourous indeed. Is it me or does she look a touch like Rihanna in that 3rd photo?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa.
    She's giving me everything. Gorgeous and super talented? Sign me up.
    And I love queens who sing.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day, many would get her, Harmonica Sunbeam, and Peppermint confused for each other.

      All three NYC legends in my opinion.

      Delete
  9. Why do I know the name Joey Arias???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New York legend for sure and know for his on the mark perfect impression of Billie Holliday. A truly artistic and talented queen.

      Delete
  10. How marvelous to have so many skills to bring to the table! But that makes for well-rounded, unique performers and intriguing performances. Very beautiful, too. Thanks for sharing, hon. You have your fingers on the pulse. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Once again, like looking in a mirror! Yes, I seem to have burst a few brain cells while coughing. Anyhoo, she is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My one friend still can't believe it's not a woman.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!