Thursday, May 20, 2021

FLORALIS GENERICA

Buenos Aires Botanical Garden

My favorite trip I've taken thus far in my time on this globe has been hands down Buenos Aires back in 2017. I had always wanted to go, and must admit it was the men that attracted me. But in general, I have to say Argentina has more beautiful people per capita then Id ever seen. Inside and Outside. Very welcoming people. Natural beauty. But what took and blew me away was the architecture, a mix of very old and new, getting around and communicating wasn't an issue as many there spoke English, Spanish and French, and had more diverse culture then any other city I have visited. You can see many of the post by clicking the tag under the post. One of the most cool things we saw was the Floralis Generica.

Argentine architect Eduardo Catalano, designed the Floralis Generica, a giant silver flower, which has been a striking landmark since it opened in 2002. When standing at, it is huge! The enormous metal flower blooms anew each day in a pool of water next to the National Museum of Fine Arts, revealing four long stamens inside. It's six 13 meter long petals open, which takes about 20 minutes to watch, at eight in the morning, and then will close, slowly, at sunset, mimicking the action of a real flower. It is soo cool to see. We went back several days to see it even if just for a few moments. When the petals are closed finally, the 18 ton flower is 75 feet tall and 52 ft wide, and when blossomed it becomes a flora of incredible 105 ft wide. The constructed flower reflects the city around it, in the aluminum of it's petals. When the petals close at night, the flower either glows red or purple. On just four nights of the year, the petals will remain open, and glowing brilliantly, keeping Buenos Aires in bloom all night long. Just one of many unexpected delight this city offered.
I'm STILL surprised I came back.... don't cry for me Argentina ...
We'll soon be back together.

44 comments:

  1. Another place I would love to visit! I always hear about the incredible mix and quality of the architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if you ever go...plan on a three week stay! There is SO MUCH to see and experience.

      Delete
  2. What a butt plug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wait till that bitch opens! OUCH!

      Delete
  3. I thought that was a giant beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to your photos, I've now seen an amazingly beautiful place.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that sculpture. And I adore your description of the culture and the city. How exciting. As for the mens... I swoon for any man who kisses my neck. Sigh. Ummm... yes. I've experienced a bit of Brazilian 'culture' in my lifetime. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best vacation. The architecture was very French and old, yet modern marvels were also in the mix. Add all it's history with cultures and all the Juan and Eva Peron points of interests. What a trip!!!! And the food! OMG!!!!! AND EVEN MORE SO THE MENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Shall we go?

      Delete
  6. That sculpture is fantastic, opened or closed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never make it there...so I enjoyed this. I can say I have never seen anything like that before anywhere. I remember well, William and I salivating over your post from Argentina. I enjot there travel logs Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magnificent sculpture!!!! Sometime the best art isn't even in museum. I just went back to peruse your posts....you had some fabulous sight and pictures. What a trip that was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right about that. There was so much street art one almost didn't have to go to a museum.

      Delete
  10. Stunning sculpture! The idea to build this sculpture was very good and the design looks beautiful. And to have it open by the light of day? Genus.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When this pandemic is over, I really need to broaden my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now that's a gorgeous sculpture! It looks like a crocus (especially with the purple lights), yet it's emerging from the water like a water lily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cool Tundra...at first we didn't realize it closed at night...hence why we thought we'd drank to much one night when it was close and lit!!!

      Delete
  13. This looks worth a few minutes to Stop and See! You realize the boy went through all your posts and now want to go to Argentina for the honeymoon get away.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Te extrañamos que la señora vuelva a nosotros pronto algún día. OK.

    We miss you to Mistress come back to us soon someday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting sculpture.. Iconic masterpiece! Just seeing that daily would make me happy. You were gone there awhile. How long do your recommend for a trip there?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I will never go on a plane again after experiencing three hours of turbulence coming back from Niagara three years ago. They couldn't serve any hot drinks or food because of it. A lady say next to my husband was praying out loud , she was so scared.

    So, to see this and all your previous travelogues is fantastic. The flower sculpture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I blame you Christina. Maybe take a boat! LOL! I know you and the hubby would love the city...it is truly spectacular.

      Delete
  17. The Floralis Generica is absolutely amazing. I love the nighttime pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching it slowly open. It was almost hypnotic watching it.

      Delete
  18. I would definitely call this a must see spot.. Quintessential Buenos Aires. You got great pictures. It was rain the day I went. I have been twice and agree with you. There is not quite another place like it, very interesting history and sights. I think it is probably one of my top 4 trips for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That was a good trip, and I couldn't ask for a better travel partner. Bed hog or not.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is eye opening to discover all the things around the world that we've never even heard of, natural or man-made. A news report on the floris generica would be far more mood-lifting than news that the government is trying to do poor children out of their rights or throw more immigrants into the English Channel (or la Manche if you are reading this in France), necessary as such reports are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice to travel permanently and have to never watch news again.

      Delete
  21. Everybody I know who has visited (or lived there) has always told me I have to visit. It looks fantastic. And the people ARE beautiful.
    Loved the pics!!
    They also have a very interesting history. They've been through a lot.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I didn't want to come back. It's already on the list for another trip

      Delete
  22. Wow! What a bloom

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice. I'd hate to have to shine that sucker, though.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting sculpture...that is awesome. I had friends there wandering around they said and fell upon this by accident.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such beauty and awwwwsomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I must admit, of all the capital cities "over the pond", Buenos Aires is probably the only one that appeals to me. When I win the Lottery, I might just pull up a chaise to watch that amazing big metal flower do its thing... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two would surely love the night life.....

      Delete
  27. wow! that is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So much fun on your trip. Thanks for sharing the lovely photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Really love the pictures. They are stunning!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!