Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Spectacular Shirley Bassey



I just saw a bio on Dame Shirley Bassey on tv last night. I was just glued to the set. You see Dame Shirley Bassey is one of the Mistress's favorite chanteuse. I would love to see her probably more than anyone else in concert. Even at 72 she still looks incredible! Shirley Bassey was born on January 8,1937 to working class parents in a dockside district of Tiger Bay and is the youngest of seven children. Shirley went on to become a International star.





She performed the theme songs to the James Bond films including, Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, and Moonraker. She is the only singer to have recorded more than one James Bond theme song. Dame Shirley has also accumulated 20 silver discs for sales in Britain, Europe, and the Middle East; fifty plus gold discs of international sales and has more greatest hits compilation albums than any other artist, including one gold and two platinum. Dame Shirley has also performed with some of the best talent around including the London Symphony Orchestra, John Barry, Count Basie,Humphrey Littleton, the Propellerheads including many other artist. And she is still going strong and still touring. I watch her web site on occasion to see if she will get to New Hope, as the town gets many big name cabaret and jazz talent here. Dame Shirley currently resides in Monaco. A beautiful setting for such an elegant woman. I also included my favorite Bassey song,History Repeating. Her voice is just jaw dropping! Now if she could just loan me that red number with the feathers.







And her remake of Pink's Get This Party Started

8 comments:

  1. "History Repeating" is on my workout playlist on ipod...heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. she is just... STUNNING! i can't believe she is over 60, much less 72!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE History Repeating! Did you ever hear the dance version from a few years back by the Propellerheads? It was her voice with their instrumentation and it was just incredible!
    I love to do her in drag- I did "Party Started" not too long ago!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mistress, we must have been twins at one time. I love Ms. Dame Bassey too. First Vanessa, now Shirley. My all time favorite song is "This is My Life" I play it all the time on my ipod. It's the live version were she thanks the crowd for the happy birthday song. Also, I dont know if you've ever heard of a movie called "Little Voice"? it featured another great performer Jane Horrocks who does a dead-on of Ms. Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3/21/2009

    I have always loved Shirey Bassey. She is one of the classy, elegant and all around best talent anywhere. What a lengend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric- I have it also on my I pod for my walking!

    Kayce- we should all be as lucky to age like her!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginger- I had you in mind when I posted this. I remember you saying you did this number once and I bet you did it just as elegant!


    Sam- we could be long lost brothers! Of cousre Kailyn tell me we are related too! I worship Dame Shirley girl! I have several of her cd's. I almosted post This is my Life on here. Maybe when I get back I'll put it up for you .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spouse LOVES him some Shirley Bassey! As a singer, I on the otherhand, find her to be... interesting. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!