Sunday, April 28, 2024

USUAL SUSPECT

 

It's been another glorious week in the garden at the Casa du Borghese...even after a cloudy and cool week, but it brought about many more things in bloom, not to mention this week a few new birds I've never seen here, at least in our garden...and a rabbit. We don't historically have issues with rabbit at the Casa but last year after planting a few False Sea Thrifts, a dense herbaceous evergreen with a mounded form and brings about pretty little balls at the top of the tall stems. Last year the balls disappeared after they bloomed and found out they are like gold to rabbits. Oh dear. And the white squirrel Blanca was scene yet again this weekend, this time in the side yard. I had a chance to play with all three camera between here and the park. I just adore the spring, have I mentioned that?


The boids seem to love the Eaatern Red Bud

This week, I saw this bird for the first time. After some research found it to be a songbird called a Red Breasted Grosbeak. Seen them all weekend now.

The other new bird was a Brown Thrasher. Seemed to be on the ground alot when feeding, especially with the fallen seed and peanuts from the feeder.


Meanwhile on the shed door wreath, chirping sparrows are infamous for building nest on hanging wreaths. But I noticed the other day a cowbird had added her eggs to that of the sparrow, to sit on and hatch. Cowbirds for some reason always lay their eggs in that of other birds, unbeknownst to them and that bird will indeed raise them. For some reason though Catbirds recognize then own eggs and will eject the interlopers eggs.

Last of the Spring Tulips.
A yellow throated Warbler.

I just love the assortment of birds I've been able to attract this season. Soon I suspect the Catbirds and hummingbirds will arrive, especially since the Juncos have now departed for the season. Birdwatching can get tiresome apparently.

27 comments:

  1. So many wonderful birds! Great photos of everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such colourful birds! We have nothing (native) that compares... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's been a chore attracting all these birds. My mother was never one to put a lot of bird seed and feeders out. So upon moving here I took over for my old place in Bucks County it's been amazing to see them all being attracted here.

      Delete
    2. Kingfisher? Bullfinch (not that I've ever seen one).

      Delete
    3. I don't think a Kingfisher counts as a garden bird, Helen, but I get your point - Jays, Goldfinches and Blue Tits (all of which we do get around here) do have pretty colours. However, these in Maddie's locale are even more vivid and spectacular. Jx

      Delete
    4. I adore Kingfishers. They can be found here mostly around our waterways and lakes and swampy areas. They are very neat. And Jon I love your version of the tit there. Thought they do look different then out titmouse.

      Delete
    5. Tits/Titmice are all related, and are all across the Northern hemisphere - unlike our native Robin and the US bird of the same name. The former is entirely "Old World", and is related to flycatchers; the latter is in the Thrush family, which is also spread across the world, and related to our native Blackbirds. Jx

      Delete
  3. Fantastic photos, sweetpea! The wildlife around here is nowhere near as colorful! Except for maybe the wild parrots! I should take some more wildlife photos. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the idea of seeing wild parrots gets me excited.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4/29/2024

      Wild parrots, escapees from a pet shop no doubts. :)

      Delete
  4. The flora and the fauna out in force! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baltimore Orioles! Wow! I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you referring to the bird in the first picture? Those are red winged blackbirds. Further down is the golden finch.Balitmore Orioles are more black and orange I believe. I've never seen one here.

      Delete
  6. Wow ! I love our garden birds but yours are amazing
    and you can't keep a good Pansy down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Madam.....the pansies this spring have been insane!!!!! I swear they have doubled.

      Delete
  7. All the photographs are excellent. We have blue tits in a nesting box right next to the sitting room window. They are so busy. Backwards and forward all day long. They don't seem to mind us.
    You have some gorgeous birds. Lovely to see Buster. We are getting a puppy...........will send a pic soon. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhhh how exciting!!!!! I cant wait to see it. A home is just not a home without a dog or cat in it. The birds are busy. I sat for an age watching two robins going to and fro with beaks of filling and grasses for nest making.

      Delete
  8. An amazing variety. And your photos are always wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, poor Buster! It's hard work guarding the Casa. He deserves a treat.
    We've got a sage bush next to the spa that I swear is loaded with about 20 sparrows. I love wtching them fly in and out of there all day. Right around noon, boy! do they get noisy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes they do!!!! I have a feeder right by the lilac bush outside my bedroom window...and when there is about 10 or more...its a sounds of mass chaos.

      Delete
  10. At one point I had early, mid and late tulips and narcissi out at once. Queen of the Night and Estelle van Rijnveldt are still in blook as are the remnants of Ballerina. My neighbour has a rose out and my R. Gertrude Jekyll is due to flower any day now and we are not yet in May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are moving so beautifully this season if too quick. Enjoy why you can.

      Delete
  11. Anonymous4/29/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Your garden is so beautiful, Maddie! I wish there really were transporter beams like in Star Trek so I could visit! Bouvier II and Blanca look like they enjoy it, Buster not so much, LOL!

    Baltimore orioles have unforgettably beautiful orange and black plumage -- when I was a little girl, it was common to see red-winged blackbirds, yellow-winged blackbirds and Baltimore Orioles amongst the cattails on prairie marshes. But farmers have drained so many marshes and other wetlands in the last 50 years that Orioles not seen much anymore. Another habitat loss that should've been prevented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. What is hell is the purpose of draining wetland and marches anyhow? Think of all the species and other life that limited, killed off or had to relocate.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!