Tuesday, April 16, 2024

MOOSE AT THE FOUNTAIN

 

This post came about thanks to Tundra Bunny, in a comment last week on a moose statue in a photo I took recently on a Philly weekend jaunt. It got me going back to look at photos I'd taken of this landmark over the years. Since there has been a lot of discussion in recent years with statues in public spaces, with some statues coming down through formal and informal means, here are some of the photos of the George Washington Monument in Eakins Oval. One of my favorite fountains and art sculptures in Philadelphia. This monument is especially complex, and has evocative, allegorically rich and often lifelike figures in it, this monument in Philly, is located at the base of the Art Museum steps. Anyone who's spent time in Philly probably knows this place and fountain and monument very well, with its swirl of animal and human figures enveloping the high up equestrian statue of George Washington.

The monument and fountain were commissioned and design by sculptor Rudolf Siemering. The sculpture was dedicated in 1897 at the entrance of Fairmount Park and then moved in 1928 to its present location after the completion of the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in town. The bronze and granite sculpture features a uniformed Washington mounted on a horse at the tip top and facing southeast down the Ben Franklin Parkway towards City Hall. The face of the sculpture was made from actual impressions of the former president. made while he was in Philly for a stopover.  The lower levels of the fountain feature two Native Americans, two Europeans, and animals that are native to the United States. There are moose, bison, deer, cow, bear, eagles, a serpent, some Koi fish and even a salamander.

The scheme of the fountain asserts a hierarchy...although I find it interesting that the sculptor had two European figures and two native American figures all on the same level of beauty and detail. All the figures are done very well and all equally gorgeous and lifelike.

The southeast side of the pedestal, facing the parkway has a female figure on the next level up, apparently representing liberty.

I have always enjoyed the fountain in Philly, one of my favorites. And when there is a nice breeze it's nice feeling the little bit of mist hit you on a hot day.  It also occurred to me from a distance, the monument draws attention to Washington as the main figure. But up close while always wandering and photographing the monument, I found myself forgetting about the Washington statue completely. It wasn't till that hawk landed that I was reminded of him up there. The main features up close are the animals and allegorical figures. I wonder if this was likely the sculptor's intent, because the sight line within the monument complex do not allow you to look up and see Washington himself, if you are looking from a spot inside of the complex. I feel the sculptor seems to want us to examine and admire these figures more and ultimately relate to the artwork at this level, rather than Washington himself, who seems to be over seeing a new America..

28 comments:

  1. You had a really beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning.
    I think the most "moving" statue I saw whilst visitng the U.S. was called Tatanka in South Dakota.I think Kevin costner paid for it although I could be wrong. There's lots of images on the web.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never been to South Dakota, but yes. I think your correct that Costner paid for it I read, and it is also the 3rd largest bronze sculpture in the world. With that many life size bison we could see why.

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite spots in the city. Impressive Sculpture and fountain. I like your views of it and have never thought of it like that. And I don't think I was ever seen the salamander..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought you had a photo of our Moose in a fountain. This is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moose in a fountain would not make for a happy cat I suspect.

      Delete
  5. I have always thought it was a magnificent sculpture and fountain and has a distinguished location on Ben Franklin Pkwy right in front of the famous steps in front of the Philadelphia Art Museum. When I was little, I was always enamored by it's animals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty statue on the way to the Museum when I was there years ago. We walked passed and sat the Washington Monument on our way to the Art Museum. I recall it's very large, but well-kept and nice. It's a really pretty piece in a city full of beautiful art and architecture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I caught a whiff of your presence Micaux!!!!

      Delete
  7. That monument/fountain is certainly a visual feast for the eyes! Love the animals in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous; so much to see in that fountain. Thanks for the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to spend more time in Philly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been at a loss for something to do in Philly or just walk and see what I find.

      Delete
  10. Very beautiful and intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intriguing observation that the artist may have wanted you to pay more attention to the more ''subservient" figures while keeping Washington in his supposedly triumphant place at the very top where in fact he is hard to see. If indeed that was the artist's intention, then you can find acts of subversion in the most unlikely places, even on a patriotic monument. Not everybody need be a Banksy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it was or not his thoughts...its a beautiful monument! You'd enjoy it.

      Delete
  12. FASCINATING! I need to see this up close. What a wonderful job the artist did of creating inclusion. How very ahead of it's time. Thanks for sharing this, dear. Your photos are always so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Philadelphia has many monuments and parks and circles with excellent art and sculpture. If you ever come I'll lend you by the hand and give you a, huh, tour!

      Delete
  13. I kind of agree with Kirk in the whole Washington in a position of superiority, especially given that the Native American figure is laying down (so is the female figure, natch). But I take that as part of the concept of the day (late 1800s) of what art was supposed to represent, no?
    I love your eye for beauty, btw. And If I ever go back to Philly, I'm gonna make sure I visit this fountain. For real.

    XOXO

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? If our observations are correct how it seems the Washington is hard to see from the vantage right at the fountain....then that was some very forward thinking. I would have to read up on the sculptor to see what his background was like.

      Delete
  14. Anonymous4/17/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Now THAT's a magnificent fountain! The moose, bears, bison and stag deer are wonderful -- and I like how the water falls in naturalistic sheets rather than from every animal's orifice, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or a human peeing!!!! I just adore this fountain.

      Delete
  15. I like the symbolic meanings of animals. Check out this other fountain in Trieste here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ill have to check that out! Thank you.

      Delete
  16. Is it me, or does it look like George is overlooking his harem?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! Incredible work and detail.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous4/18/2024

    C’est magnifique !
    Philadelphia est magique.
    -Beau Mec

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!