Thursday, March 7, 2024

HIDDEN MEANINGS

Like some queens I have a love hate relationship with RuPaul. While I do enjoy Drag Race, I have never completely agreed with the whole concept of the show to a point, as it gives a very cookie cutter version of the lifestyle of drag, and sort of distorts the drag scene to some point. Off the show, queens do not jump through these challenges, and by no means have big budgets for over-the-top wardrobes in their little clubs around the country, and often times piece together ensembles. But I do love that it's been a success, and that it helped bring drag to the fore front and give some queens a much-needed push. I also just read Ru's newest book Hidden Messages, and central to RuPaul's success has been his chameleonic adaptability, and for me his early lead for bringing drag to the forefront. The new book covers the drag icon to a powerhouse queen to powerhouse producer of one of the world's largest tv franchises. RuPaul's ever-shifting nature has always been part of his brand as both supermodel and super mogul. Yet that adaptability has made him enigmatic to the public. It also covers some early life with his father and temperamental mother, forging an identify in the punk and drag scenes, and finding love with his hubby Georges, and sobriety. Those parts I enjoyed. But I recommend his earlier autobiography instead of this memoir, before he became the totalitarian ruler. Like many who rise to such wealth and power, that power and wealth it hangs above our head at time in the book. I think we all know his wealth. There is also talk of a bunker being built out of fear of civil unrest and environmental concerns. First off building a bunker comes to me as why run??? And why hold it over the heads of people who will never afford to build a bunker? I can agree there is civil unrest and there might be scary times ahead, but why run and not fight??? And spare me darling on the environmental front. Darling...the last I looked fracking is one of the worst things for the environment, not to mention can also send waves to possibly trigger earthquakes. There to me has been talking out both sides of his mouth.

And then it was announced Ru launched a book company called Allstora. The promo makes one think that this is a company squarely on the left fighting book bans, and fighting for the queer community, etc. The site has changed a few things already when I last was there. One my first stops I saw you can buy Hitler's Mein Kampf, a children's book by the extremely transphobic Libs of Tik Tok founder, Chaya Raychok, several books by GOP stalwarts Mike Huckabee Sanders and Sarah Saunders, and even one Christian book "You Were not Born This Way: It's Time to Break Free." I'm sorry... these are not my people. They even had books that are so objectionable that the company added notes to these sections, saying they flagged them, and the book is contrary to their core values. All proceeds from this title will go towards protecting diverse literature and marginalized communities from books bans through the Rainbow Book Bus. That's good I guess. But the stock was bought, and these asshole authors got paid for their books. Why did you need the help of the community to do the right things Allstora? Why not just stop selling what many on the left consider to be hate speech? I know it really helps the queer community when you can buy rightwing books on the site and pay a drag queen a monthly salary for the privilege. And this is yet another lesson in Rainbow Capitalism, and not shut down by one of us. Ru could've just said she wants to sell book and here are my favorites. 

I do enjoy RuPaul...but I feel as though she shakes your hand, while slapping you with the other. And just how long is Drag Race going? Yet again...it's a top three show, the rest is all filler. But we also know I tire of shows that run to long.

43 comments:

  1. I can't disagree. I'm with you. I mean, Ru's impact on the world has definitely been positive, but let's not pretend that it's all good. I remember days in LA on the scene and he's gotten to be egomaniac, but he just hides it a lot better than Tyra Banks did. I also agree the first book was by far a better read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Robin Robert's interview with Ru where the book was promoted. I decided to pass on this one because what he was saying was what I'd already read in that earlier book, Letting It All Hang Out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A much better read in my opinion. When Ru was Ru.

      Delete
  3. I hate to admit it, but anymore I take Ru for the enjoyment of her music and Drag Race. But the environmental thing outrages me too. Much like Orpah he is gloating to much. But the book site, what?!?! You’re either FOR book bans or against. There’s no in between.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know what I think of Ru and Drag Race. Cash Cow indeed! I'm not that desperate to be on a show like that. And oh look, Ru doing doubling again. She getting out of touch with her roots. Supports green, yet fracks...You don’t want books banned but you want books banned. Pick a side. Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just give me the Back in day RuPaul! I love when that shade comes out. But the Book site infuriates me. It’s a drop shipping site so it contains ALL books of all kinds (instead of putting in the work to curate it). And on top of that is charging MORE than local books stores for some titles . Ultimately this isn’t going to increase access to Queer literature any more than predators like Amazon already do… but it will add yet another force squeezing small independent bookstores who put in the work and add to the community.

    ReplyDelete
  6. my, was this a reading challenge???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If laughter is the best medicine, then your face darling, must be curing the world.

      Delete
  7. Ru is evidently in her Mr. Burns era... EXCELLLENT. *while twirling the of the fingers*

    ReplyDelete
  8. imho, the important thing is that, over the years, its impact has been more positive than negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank heavens there has been more positivity. I just hope the ego stays dormant.

      Delete
  9. That cartoon says a lot. Ru Paul has accomplished so much, given drag queens so much visibility, normalized drag for many, given queer people another platform, inspired young queer people to be themselves. He’s had my admiration for a long time. But fame and obscene wealth change things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more with your comment.

      Delete
  10. I had heard of the new book from peeps of mine and said it was alright. But the first book was far better I had heard too. But I love RuPaul... but I do agree she talks out both sides. I thought you were going to bring up RuPaul calling Madonna old. Oh, the SHADE!: RuPaul says it “feels weird” that Madonna is “chasing arena tours” at 65, and now admits Madonna is cold to a fault. Huh, last I looked RuPaul was not all that far in age behind Madonna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I heard about that!!!!! But Ru should watch herself....she is 63 and can't dance worth shit. Madonna can still put on a show and give a hell of a concert. I saw Ru several times...and she pretty much stands there and lip synced her own songs...and this was in the early 2000's.

      Delete
  11. Henny...I'll always adore RuPaul, but gurl is getting a bit out of touch, and with these projects and fracking... gurl has got to get coin henny to build that bunker! I mean at this point; Ru can't even do his own wigs or make up like his queens do. She pays for everything to make the magic happen. You're a drag queen, come on, how can you not do your own makeup???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how a drag queen cant do her own make up??? But lesbie honest....Mathu and Raven are responsible for Ru's spectacular image. Im still salty with Ru over how she treated Mathu Anderson.

      Delete
  12. I can respect and honor RuPaul for all he's done, she was a green queen but ever since I heard about the fracking thing I see Mama Ru differently sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will give Ru all kinds of credit for taking drag and bringing it to The People ... even in a somewhat sanitized version. The more we, LGBTQ+ people, are out there, the less scary we are to Middle America.

    But I do think Ru needs to bring it down a notch before she Oprahs herself.
    And I didn't know about her book company. Since those trash books and hate books and anti-whatever books can be sold just about anywhere, Ru should do a better job of thinning the literary herd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. before she Oprahs herself??? Too late!

      But you nailed it with that comment.

      Delete
  14. I know you'll find this difficult to believe, but I never watch the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am clutching my pearls in shock I tell ya!

      Delete
  15. Oh, I heard the stories.
    I love your point of view, though: you KNOW what you are talking about. I agree that Ru's impact has been more positive than negative, but there always be some negative things about some public figures. Also, Drag Race is, above all, a reality TV program: it's NOT a documentary. The same way that Project Runway is a reality TV program and America's Next Top Model is a reality TV program. It is made for consumption.
    I have this book in my list at the Public Library. I'm in the queue for it. Twenty people are ahead of me. Who the fuck knew so many people wanted to read Ru in the fucking suburbs of Chicago??

    XOXO

    P.S. Letting it all Hang Out is a riotous reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....there are a lot of queens in Chi!!!

      Delete
  16. I dunno... Part of me thinks he should milk it for all its worth. Plus, doesn't the show give the Queens a boost in exposure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well depends who you talk too. I know some Queens who wouldn't even touch the show with a 10-ft pole. But yes if you want to become more famous it definitely is a good stepping School to get out there and expose. But I don't have any problem with the show well not entirely. I've always lately had issues with RuPaul's environmental views. She said she's for the environment and green yet she's fracking?

      Delete
    2. Oh, the fracking thing is not good --- Nope. Not at all. I didn't know about that.

      Delete
  17. RuPaul is troublesome, as are all LGB activists. I think the main reason I stopped watching the show years ago was the transphobia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did go through that stage already and I think RuPaul was sincerely apologetic about that. I mean she grew up and came up in the New York City club scene, so how she could be prejudiced towards trans was beyond me. I think her views at the time were a little different about who could do drag on the show.

      Delete
  18. The man in that cartoon looks more like President Obama to me than RuPaul. And as far as I am concerned the world needs far fewer copies of Mien Kampf and more rebuttals to the fuhrer's evil dreams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im pretty sure it is Obama. I think it was lifted and put together by someone for this cartoon. I t drive the point of draining Drag Race at this point? It the same thing each season anymore...not much lift to keep it fresh.

      Delete
  19. I thought the same thing as Helen about that cartoon! I skipped the reading a went directly to the picture and wondered why Obama was milking a cow. My eyes are so shot! There is something about RuPaul that has always gotten on my nerves. I can't put my finger on it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. And people tune into see the queen, not the gent! The comic does crack me up.

      Delete
  20. Wow, this opened my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous3/07/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Hang onto your pearls, Maddie, because I have never seen Ru Paul's Drag Race either! I have seen Colbert interview him a couple of times, and Ru struck me as pretentious and phoney on both occasions. Mitchell made a very good point that obscene wealth and fame changes people -- and not usually for the better!

    And don't get me started on the barren wasteland of tired old reality shows...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is what it is Tundra. I still think he forgets where he came from. I mean Dina Martina, Lady Bunny, Varla Jean Merman, Sherry Vine, Joey Arias, Coco Peru, Lypsinka and Miss Richfield and Amanda Lepore have all been around just as long as Ru, and have stay true to their roots and community, while enjoying being booked all the time. I think Ru got a taste of big fame and wealth and it changed her...she sees $$$$$ only. Yeah, I went there.

      Delete
  22. Said it before & I'll say it again-
    Take Ru out of drag and I'm scrolling or changing the channel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. If you can’t love your environment and planet, how the hell you gonna love somebody else ?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ru has done incredibly well for himself, but for a long time has seemed very self-focused and individualist. There's no denying he's done a great deal for the LGBTQ+ community (though maybe the 'T' took him a little while), but his politics have only ever really been progressive on social issues - so I'm unsurprised that his solution to environmental destruction is to build a bunker 😅 What an idoit. The thing about bunkers is that you must have a ventilation source. And if the air is poisoned, your bunker worthless. Bunkers are just another illusion rich people tell themselves to justify their current greed.

    ReplyDelete
  25. People who gain power and popularity always change.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!