Sunday, April 13, 2014

A HOT CROSSED BUN ANYONE?

Today's breakfast.....
 
 
Anyone interested in trying my buns?
 
To me, Hot Cross Buns are as synonymous with Good Friday as scrambling around town to buy the perfect huge Easter wide brim, and dye for eggs!!! Since I was off Friday, I made for the first time my grandmother's recipe for the Good Friday gems. Me and tradition you know. There’s so much legend and lore behind Hot Cross Buns, which date back to the old country. English folklore said that Hot Cross Buns baked on Good Friday would never spoil throughout the following year. Some bakers believed that holding on to one Hot Cross Bun and hanging it in the kitchen meant that all yeast products in the coming year would rise successfully.( Although, I'm not in the habit of hanging my buns in the kitchen, nor have I had any issues with anything not rising). Some sailors took Hot Cross Buns on their voyages to ensure their ships wouldn’t sink. And friends who gift one another with Hot Cross Buns every year are said to remain friends for life. I have given my Hot Crossed Buns to many and I'm still friends with them, so it must be true.
 
I’m not sure if that’s due to inherent powers in the buns…or just all the yummy carbohydrate goodness. The line is kind of blurry.
Either way, Hot Cross Buns are a fun, meaningful Easter tradition.
 
 

16 comments:

  1. I adore hot cross buns. Now I want some. But unlike you, I just buy them from Safeway. I'm so impressed you baked your own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me tell you, they were a real royal pain in the buns to make too, but worth it.

      Delete
  2. Rhubarb pie made by my Aunt Barbara (yes, I had a real Aunt Barbara ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would LOVE to bite your buns! ;-b

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Never made them, nor did I know much about their tradition til today – thanks for making every day a school day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been dying to sample your buns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love and respect you for keeping traditions alive. Not enough do, and soon they will be gone. I am not a baker, but go to the local market and get them. These look great. My kids hated them growing up…I don’t know why!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You am I too pass up such a offer!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't mean to get you all worked up!

      Delete
  8. These look divine! They would be perfect Easter morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am such a dough girl! These are dreamy…I will have visions of hot cross buns all day long floating over the clouds like sheep. My grandmother used to make these every Good Friday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would agree, the Mistress never has a problem with any rising.....except maybe too much too often,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hot Cross Buns are perfect for breakfast on Easter morning. Yours buns are making my mouth water and I want them now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I feel all weird and ignorant, but I have never heard of Hot Cross Buns as an Easter tradition.

    I wonder what other traditions I’ve never heard of?

    Now I’m suspicious I’ve been missing out on tons of traditional fun – clearly, some research is needed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. easter-shmeaster....
    advertise your buns like you advertise your package
    and you'll have zero problem finding clients.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!