Friday, May 6, 2011

The Met-A Homage Fit for a McQueen!


Looks like the Mistress is going to be planning a trip to New York City and twist the arm of my good friend and sister Mame, aka David Dust to go to the long awaited exhbit of Alexnander McQueen. This has just been the year of fabulous fashion exhbits from the Balenciaga exhibit, to the Roberto Capucci exhibit in Philadelphia. But you know the Mistress has to see this one! Legendary fashion designer Alexander McQueen will be the featured artist this spring at The Metropolitan Museum of Art. The exhibition will run May 4 through July 31, 2011. It was preceded by the annual Costume Institute Gala Benefit on May 2. Honorary chairs for the gala are François-Henri Pinault, of Gucci Group, which owns the McQueen brand, and his wife, Salma Hayek. Co-chairs include Colin Firth, Stella McCartney and Anna Wintour.

The exhibition, titled “Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty”, will celebrate McQueen’s early work from his Central Saint Martins postgraduate collection in 1992 to his work at Givenchy, and to his final runway show, which took place after his death this past February. Alexander McQueen was best known for his astonishing and extravagant runway presentations, which were given dramatic scenarios and narrative structures that suggested avant-garde installation and performance art. Andrew Bolton, the Curator of The Costume Institute, said in a press statement. “His fashions were an outlet for his emotions, an expression of the deepest, often darkest, aspects of his imagination. He was a true romantic in the Byronic sense of the word–he channeled the sublime. Pieces will be borrowed from the McQueen London archive, the Givenchy archives in Paris and several personal collections. McQueen’s collections easily blurred the line between fashion and art – I can’t think of a better way The Met could pay homage to the late designer.





Before the event even officially opened, you know that the fabulousness that is the the all knowing, make it or break it of fashion editor in chief Anna Wintour was on hand to see the exhbit and say a few words. I would have to agree with her on this.

21 comments:

  1. Excellent exhibition! The curatorial, displays & the whole concept is near perfection. I wish i could visit newyork now. Hvae a good time when you go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexander Mcqueen will be very pleased with how Andrew Bolton presented his works. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love! So beautiful! I hope I get to see it in person too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, I'll be in NY in July, and I will most definetely go see the exhibition. I love Alexander McQueen.. maybe the Mistress could meet up......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl - just say the word and I'm there.

    XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I WANT that 1st dress even if it has to live on a mannequin in the living room.

    Sigh, I know tall, angular frames show designs the best but I really wish someone did shows for the curvy (and height challenged)...

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was a real genius, a true artist. This images are beautiful, not only the dresses itself but also the feeling of the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a beautiful tribute! McQueen will definitely expirience a higher demand once this exhibition opens. The regard for the brand will also increase. Long Live MCQUEEN! I so need to see this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let's go! Looks amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. My scientist brain can not conceive of art like this. It's just so...beyond. Other wordly. Clearly, beauty like this causes me to be extremely inarticulate.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to see this myself in July, I'm so excited I can hardly stand it. Thank you TLO for introducing me to all the fabulousness.....provided Im not planning your life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indescribable. And if New York wasn't about millions of miles away from me, I'd definitely be there admiring all of this in person. But maybe this would be a good time to come back to ny to see it and the Mistress?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's incredible... And yet. The headlessness and facelessness of the manikins really brings to the front a feminist question for me (which I'm sure many before have considered more intelligently than I): what does it say about a collection that the woman wearing it doesn't matter? That she can be literally absent from consideration in terms of evaluating the work? I can appreciate that he has created gorgeous art - but the human being wearing it has been utterly effaced. It's kind of the creepy end result of the whole high fashion industry moving so far away from actual women. That being said, his work is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't wait to see this exhibition, what a mind!!!!! I making the trek from P-town!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Batina5/07/2011

    Wish I could get over to see it! Any excuse to visit NY though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I want to go so bad. I hate not living in New York sometimes

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this.. Told all friends in N.Y to go see it for me!! Great article! love your choice of images. Well done on a great Post!
    How great was the Met Gala..?

    ReplyDelete
  18. please please please say you'll post pics (if you are allowed to take any) when you go! lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kayce I will post some, If you can't take pics I am ot worried as the Mistress is quick with her camera!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. If there was eve an exhibition to see that's the one not to miss. Glad you had a chance to go Maddie.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!