Monday, May 16, 2011

A Fabulous Dinner at Butcher and Singer



When I stumbled upon Butcher and Singer's website a few months ago, I knew from the start I wanted to check this place out,being a Steven Starr place and such, so I suggested the place for dinner for Saturday night with the Lad and friends and none of us were disappointed. I had also remembered the dearly departed Striped Bass, which is now closed and is now Butcher and Singer, beneath a stampede of hungry meat-eaters, I u have to first pay tribute to the lasting splash of the big fish. I had dinned there several times years ago, and in terms of a culinary legacy, there's no denying its impact. In it's years it had no fewer than the top 10 chefs in Philadelphia work at some point behind Striped Bass' open kitchen. So Butcher and Singer had big shoes to fill, and they made their case to my lipid-lovin' inner carnivore with some delish beef and a throwback theme that, despite the kitschy plaid carpet and cloyingly chatty staff, is a perfect new identity for this classic space. I was in love with this place! A homage to old Hollywood,low lights and dark woods evoked a feeling reminiscent of a bygone era when women donned full red lips, men wore a suit and tie and post-Prohibition liquor flowed freely. The menu includes an array of perfectly charred steaks and chops, cold water lobster and iconic dishes like Shrimp & Crab Louie. Needless to say I and everyone were extremely pleased about everything this place had to offer!






Our various appetizers. Check out the size of those there shrimp!



The Mistress had the cold water lobster tail and 8 oz fillet. I like to have my own meat.



And y'all can insert your jokes here, but some of the gays at the table ordered the 12 oz fillet and split the meat between them. It was just too much. But I will say this, it melted right in your mouth!



15 comments:

  1. Sweetie, I love you but I have worked in a lot of restaurants and that pic was not any kind of 12oz.
    Maybe after you cut it in half...

    Have to say it looked absolutely delicious whatever its size. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Are those huge, mutant, Godzilla shrimp?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sassy The 12 oz isn't in the picture....it was under the table!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dearie...if you are in need of a really good meal, just get over here. First, look at the website. You might glean what you're in for. Classic and modern. Dog art. Old style glamour. A great soundtrack. I love this place Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, I hear you guys really enjoyed this place, looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LMAO.

    Mmmm....I bet it's every bit as delicious too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. drool worthy Mistress! yum*
    adore the dogs mural as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for such a great place to go! I hadn't been to a proper steak house in years! I think you pleased everyone Mistress, no pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been to Philadelphia several times and I recall their being too many good resturants to try all at one time. Since I love meat;) I would love this place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mistress, I just love your posts on Philadelphia because when I come their in the late summer I know now where to go to eat, drink and be merry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Philly does have some wonderful places to dine. I went to this website and I loved it, I would so eat here. The atomsphere is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow,what a cool place. And what the Mistress doesn't tell ya is why sitting there with all these boys, she was getting meat under the table! I'm guessing! LOL! And speaking of meat I would like to see up close Eden's! Helllooooo....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Caliboi- stopping harassing my followers or I'll come west and beat your ass with a stick!

    Eden- sorry for Caliboi, he is un tamed by the Mistress. Thanks for your comment and welcome to the world of the Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5/18/2011

    Dining establishments and you w/ camera is a torturous proposition... "I'M WATERING AT THE MOUTH HERE!!!" ...for fine food -of course! ...wink!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous7/27/2013

    I like this kind of food
    . It,s looking delicious and more attractive to eat.With a good quality,camping food you’ll find that once your dog gets used to it they will be happy to eat less and get a much better diet of what they really need.meal bars for dogs

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!