Wednesday, October 9, 2024

HEIRLOOMS


I'm happy to report that my uncle has made it to Ashville to start his new chapter in his new place. His son and daughter-in-law have also found out their existing house had very minimal damage and the new one their having built had no damage. My cousin will be there for the next ten days getting my uncle unpacked and set up. I say he has guts to up at 92 leave and start a new chapter. He said it was time to start anew and he had good closure with my aunt's passing three years ago. Funny when family changes happen, you think back on things. The above picture I came across, is my mother's ancestral home in the Belleview Park area of Harrisburg. Many good times in there with my grandmother. One of my mother's nieces now lives there. While my uncle was packing up and downsizing, he asked me to come over to select a few things of my aunts, and he had a couple things per my aunts' request to pass on to me. While there were many beautiful things, I only have so much room. What he, I and his kids didn't take, most was picked up by Habitat for Humanity, and the tons of canned and box pastas and such to a food pantry. I selected some meaningful things for me that had fond memories.
The first thing I choose to take was my aunt's bread bowl. It's a huge bowl, that had been her and my mother's Aunt Marions. Upon getting married, my aunt made bread daily in this bowl to let the dough rise. I plan to do the same.
Second, I choose these Polish pottery serving dishes. I have always loved the pattern and colors in them. We had many a dinner served with hot dishes in them.

A cut glass pitcher and glasses she often served her iced tea in.

When I see this tea set, I always see my aunt. She used it quite frequently. And like me she loved artisan colored glass. I always loved this vase. When the sun hit it, the colors are brilliant. I shined a light in it to show the colors.
But what my aunt really wanted me to have were these...

Her personal recipe card library, with many years of family recipes and her two Cooking Bibles....

Those books are tried and true I can tell you. Can you tell she used them ALOT?!?! Being the exceptional cook she was, I was truly honored she passed them on to me and shocked not one of their daughters or sons, all of whom are also good cooks. I also told all the kids to come look through the recipe box when they're in town to take or write down some of the recipes.

I will treasure them and all these heirlooms,

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pottery, all of it. We have a beautiful bread bowl and wash basin and pitcher we bought on a trip to Waynesville, NC, just down the road from Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once my uncle, and my cousins move from Mass... and are settled...beware if I show up in Ashville...... HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice house and nice memories.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!