Thursday, July 18, 2024

BORAGE


The borage excitement continues!!!! As most of you are aware, yours truly has been having fun in the garden since being back at the ancestorial home. This past spring I planted a wildflower garden, hundreds of seeds, one of which was borage. Seen above. I'm here to tell you there is a ton of it already, and I had no idea how unique and pretty it was, but it was my UK friends of Jon and Christina and a feisty Tundra Bunny who brought to my attention that, and to my delight, could be used in my G&T's. It has come up now several posts, and I must have had too much gin, because I had forgotten our conversations about it. So off to google I went.

I learned Borage is an annual herb in the flowering plant family Boraginaceae, native to the Mediterranean region. Although the plant contains small amounts of pyrrolizdine alkaloids, some parts are edible, and its seeds provide oil. The flowers as seen from the ones in my garden are complete, perfect with five narrow, triangular- pointed petals. Flowers are most often blue, although I noticed that some pink ones popped up. Apparently, the blue is genetically dominant over the pink. I'm amazed how big and how much space it has taken up. The bees seem to go nuts over it. Traditionally, borage was cultivated for culinary and medicinal uses, although today it is mainly as an oilseed. The whole borage plant and flowers are used for fever, cough, and depression, used for a hormone problem called adrenal insufficiency, for blood purification, increase urine flow, prevent inflammation of the lungs, used as a sedative, and helps to promote sweating. I also saw another site say it's oil can be used to relieve arthritis symptoms to help reduce swelling and pain. But it's the other stuff that is interesting and true. Borage is used as either a fresh vegetable, or a dried herb. As a fresh veggie, borage has a cucumber-like taste, while the flowers have a sweet, honey-like taste. But all the hub bub came when both Christina and Tundra , along with Jon said it can be also used on desserts and cakes and made into a simple syrup, and both Jon and Tundra told me to my delight of it being used in gin and tonics!!! So you know me. I was off to find out.
Some of my clipped borage. I thought I would try Jon's suggestion first, of placing the flowers in ice cubes.
In the water they went and came out the next day frozen.

How pretty they look!!! So tonight, I made a nice gin and tonic, with some of the ice cubes and they looked so pretty in the glass and they did, once starting to dissolve add a extra kick of that cucumber taste.

Talk about a refreshing and pretty cock-a-tail!!!! As we know, I can't get enough gin as it is, which is why I swear I haven't been sick in years... I swear, I think I'm one of those medical freaks who never gets any sickness or bugs. I never even had the Covid yet. Now knowing the benefits of this wonderful plant right in my garden I'll probably live to be 110. Last time I had a bad cold was sometime in 2016. A huge thank- you and hat tip to me Brit and Canadian friends for the fresh tips! Cheers kids!!!

36 comments:

  1. I grew borage this year for the first time....and the intense heat and humidity did it in very early. (At least I think that's what happened). I was so sad! And now that I see those gorgeous cocktails, I'm even more disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as you might already know, I LOVE gin! You have excellent taste!

      Delete
    2. If one day we shall me, gin drinks on me!!!! Hard to say what happened with your borage. Mine is in the full sun all day, with a daily watering. And it's hot as blazes here. It went nuts!!!!! And up to my mid-thigh. I didn't expect the flowers to be so pretty and they did taste honey like. Did you get a plant, I'm curious.... or did you grow from seeds? Mine came from seed packets.

      Delete
    3. I planted them from seeds. They did great for awhile, then just sort of crapped out. Maybe some insect got them? Not sure. While they were around they were pretty beside the pink zinnias so I hated it when they disappeared.

      One day I'll hope on I--95 and head north, and I'll take you up on those drinks! Maybe Bob and Carlos and I could meet up and make a road trip together! We're all in SC so it would be feasible. :)

      Delete
    4. That would be a hoot!!! Or vice versa. I may venture down south one of these days. I do know that if Borage get waterlogged or the drainage isn't good it can get root rot.

      Delete
  2. Well, the joys of borage -- who knew? Those ice cubes are a gorgeous and tasty addition to your beloved gin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating... so like you! How utterly charming. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cap Chasen7/18/2024

    I absolutely adore this herb. I started growing this a few years ago, and I get so excited when they come back in the spring. It is so much fun to see all the bees on them, and the flowers are so pretty! I had no idea they were edible and a garnish for gin. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so timely! I have a huge Borage plant in my garden and have been trying to decide what to do with it. It was here when I moved in, and the flowers are so pretty. I was rather surprised at the size these things can grow. But your pictures of it and those beautiful edible Borage flowers look great frozen in the ice cubes. Bottoms up Mistress! I have to try this now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too couldn't believe how big they get. And they look great with the other wildflowers.

      Delete
  6. OMG!!!! The gin cocktail is so pretty! I love it! The wifey is a chef and she makes the best Creamy borage and potato soup, yum!! I don't know I have really ever noticed what borage looked like. The flowers are so cute.

    Love the picture with the bee in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers, me dears! Follow me for more gardening and culinary tips! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 Your too funny!!!!!! Do you grow it sweet cheeks?

      Delete
    2. Not in the garden at home but on the Allotment where there are 60 individual plots, it grows and seeds everywhere. It's very promiscuous!

      Delete
    3. Well I certainly can believe that. I know it re-seeds itself too so I may have a whole entire Garden of nothing but borage next year.

      Delete
  8. Fascinating! And those ice cubes are works of art. I’ll have to cut some here for a gin & tonic. Tundra Bunny is a font of useful information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read it is also good in hot tea.

      Delete
    2. Which I have almost every day. Another opportunity.

      Delete
  9. Yet another way for you to enjoy gin, I should stock up before the next shortage hits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a discovery!
    And from your own garden. Those cocktails look absolutely yummy...

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like them better in the cocktails; the flowers seem pretty but the leaves seem weedy to me.
    Plus, flowers and liquor? Yes, ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think only the flowers are used in desserts and cocktails. The green parts are used in salads and other recipes.

      Delete
  12. You really know how to live a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I gather borage flowers are also used in salads, although I have never eaten it. I have several patches of borage in the garden (being a sucker for blue flowers); the seeds came drifting down from a neighbour's garden. They are good value as flowers as they are in bloom for 3-4 months. Mine are due to be cut back next week which should encourage more flowers.

    Enjoy your blue flowered G&Ts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know about the cutting back of them to encourage more flowers.

      Delete
  14. Good for a G&T? Well, a person shouldn't have had to say more!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had no idea such a thing existed. This is quite the discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous7/19/2024

    Tundra Bunny here...

    Your Borage G&Ts look great -- and I'm sure they taste even better! And I've never thought of myself as a feisty font of information, more of a wise smart-ass, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was mind altering....just the ticket.

      Delete
  17. That gin looks absolutely lovely with the borage ice cubes! Clink, clink, sweetie. Jx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous7/19/2024

    I initially thought this post was headed Bondage. How Freudian!
    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You cheeky little monkey!!!!! Why? Do you want to try some bondage? I can bring a cheese and meats board for the break period!!!!! Lol!!!! JP!!!!!!!! WHERE in HELL have you been? But I hope you have been well, happy and life is treating you well. I often think of you.

      💋♥💋

      Delete
  19. You are living in a fool's paradise. Those are triffids !

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!