Thursday, October 5, 2023

STILL MARSHA'S

 

Anyone who knows me, then knows one of my guilty pleasures is eating out. Insert jokes here...no silly, that is nice, but I meant eating out as in restaurants! I love eating out! When I lived in New Hope, there was an old church that had been vacant at first. Shuttered from a lack of congregation I suspect. That was till a lively woman, named Marsha Brown, from N'awlins bought it in 2002 and opened it as a high end southern and creole restaurant and lounge. The old place dating to 1862 provided some of the most interesting and unique food and vibes for any dinning in the Philadelphia and tri-state region and maybe even well beyond. The place was injected with a makeover from her, with bold colors, fun artwork, done by locals, art deco and Victorian touches, and the famous Redemption mural by Valerie Belikin- the historic mural remains a focal point in the dining room that stands at 30 feet tall and is visible from every single table.  Live Jazz could be heard seven days a week. After the pandemic and on my first trip back since moving I was shocked to see Marsha had sold the place, which the locals did a great job of keeping it going with take out, but none the less, sold it, and passed the baton to selected new owners, all of whom she knew, of the famed property in New Hope, along with her recipe collection. Marsha reluctantly stepped away to go back to New Orleans to take care of ill family members. She is definitely missed from her nightly appearances, but Oldestone's has kept her, and her spirit going in the place and even has many areas dedicated to her and her legacy.  When I did my New Hope post the other day someone had commented on seeing some of the place... It's a fun place with beauty and conversation makers. I'm sure far right would have an issue with this place...but New Hope loves it.


I always loved these....

The Holy Shit was in the comfort room!

My dinner mate Amy on Friday evening.

A Smoked Old Fashioned...a wonderful night cap drink...before the lumbersexual joined.


It's nice to know the place, food and the cock-a-tails are still up to par and not disappointing. Its always been one of my go-to haunts to be seen regularly. I would go in and eat at just the bar many a time. The street also shares legend and pleasure right next door with another town favorite, the Mansion Inn, now also under new owners and being renovated.

It's nice to know that Oldestone's is keeping the menu and Marsha's traditions going. Like the ringing of the church bells and playing Christmas music to the passerby during the season, and between Thanksgiving and Christmas, will continue a beloved Marsha Brown tradition of giving away complimentary bells to each dinner guest as a special souvenir.

24 comments:

  1. I always loved those cherub murals. Is there really a Holy Shit in the bathroom?!?!?

    Agree about the food though....out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those chair murals always crack me up. And no there's no holy shit mural, but it wouldn't surprise me if they actually did do it sometime. After all you've seen many of the signs in the places down there!

      Delete
  2. Marvelous that there are still people who DON'T come in with a wrecking ball. It certainly looks glamourous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those places where the vibe just never leaves. I always love being there, on visits I'm often there at least two or three times.

      Delete
  3. Holy shit! Thanks for another look at New Hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a Holy Moley! I agree with Dinah - it's nice when people keep some traditions going rather than scrapping all that has gone before.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New Hope is extremely good with not letting any kind of commercial chain in town by miles, and very good at preservation and thoughtfulness to its old structures. Very few places have been completely torn down.

      Delete
  5. Gotta get up there next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks Like some good Eatin.... and lil bit drinkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect Tommy you would love it! If you ever get this way, I'd take you.

      Delete
  7. Love those "Holy . . . " artworks -- so funny! Wonderful ambience for a restaurant too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A restaurant and jazz lounge in an old church? In New Hope yet? That has got to be awesome and looks it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to see a church truly, actually, feeding one's soul.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like mole', I just didn't know it was holy. That staircase is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the best use of a church I've seen in AGES.
    Love everything about it and if I do that road trip, we HAVE GOT to go here!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never mind the drinks, what about the food? That's the most important feature of any restaurant imo. I take it they didn't have a Holy s--t poster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the powder room I suspect Helen!!! And I have yet not enjoyed any dinner to date where I left disappointed.

      Delete
  13. I love places like that! Sadly, here...we tear down the old places. Though, nothing here would've been that old since this city has been around only since 1905.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about moving out west one time, but I think I would miss the Northeast deeply.

      Delete
  14. Where I used to live, every business with a moderate to large building that went out of business was converted into a church. Even grocery stores. I'm thrilled to see the opposite take effect here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I feel it's the opposite. Congregations of churches are getting so small that they're combining congregations, hence why we're ending up with so many empty churches.

      Delete
  15. Lovely post!!!! Marcia Browns was hands down the favorite dining place of me and William. My , did William love Marsha Browns. And we had met her several times there, as she would float the restaurant table to make sure everybody was all right and enjoying their meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still very good I'm happy to say!!! I think Marsha would be proud.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!