Monday, January 2, 2023

ROSES


It's hardly to believe that's it's the New Year. Just a week ago, it felt like Artic temperatures which certainly lent for it to feel like Christmas. I was dressed in wool coat with fur lapel.  Now it seems more like early May with temps in the high 50's and later to reach 60's by mid-week. New Year's Eve I only needed my tux jacket with no over coat needed The New Years Eve and Day, here went off without a hitch, with copious amount of beverage being gulped. This years' Pork and Sauerkraut dinner was one of my top 5 cooked I believe, with no leftovers. And of course, we viewed the historic Mummers Parade that takes place every year in Philadelphia. Truely a spectacle. But a treat this year was to see the other long running, more then 100-year-old parade, The Roses Parade, out of Pasadena CA. It's been years since I have seen it, as most years I was back to work the day after New Year's Day. We watched it faithful when I was little.

The Rose Parade is tradition for more than 129 years, uses more then 20 million flowers for the lavish and creative floats, that demand more then 80,000 hours of manpower to create, by various groups. The main structure of the floats starts in May I hear. The parade follows the same five and a half mile stretch every year, with expected around 47 million viewing it on TV. The floats are incredible to see, and hard to believe everything is made from flowers, grasses, petals, seeds, and all natural materials. Jaw dropping color and detail I must say. In addition to the floats, there are many marching bands and equestrian units. While many flowers are used, the most popular are marigolds, irises, hydrangea, daisies, chrysanthemums, status and carnations, but the one rule is roses have to be present in every float. This year was a treat to see again, and very colorful. I also thought it was great that Gabby Giffords was the chosen Grand Marshall for the parade for all her work advocating against gun violence and helping to create and supporting laws against the guns. The parade certainly didn't disappoint and brought up some nice memories of watching it years ago.

My favorite was this one above. So stunning! I understand it won like 6 awards.

All the pictures are from the inner webs. Now excuse me. It's so warm I think I'll go put on my square cuts and go for a swim. Happy New Year Everybody!!!!

35 comments:

  1. Loves it!
    I have never been to a Rose Parade. I may have to fix that.
    And I love ya babes, and I know you look good in square cuts, but really! It's fucking cold.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I'll see it in person!!! But seriously, I can't believe it is January. It's warm babes.

      Delete
  2. I've always loved the Rose Parade, though it's been years since I seen it. Thanks for bringing us the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a giant shroom? Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have had one New Years Eve, I can't remember.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the pics, I don't watch it, too many commercials. The mushrooms and the snail! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not, hardly any commercial breaks. Nothing like the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. And when there was one, there were only two commericals. Not to mention, you get to see the actual parade and bands...not all plugs for famous singers and Broadway acts.

      Delete
    2. I too was amazed by the lack of commercials. Not that I minded. Unlike the Macy Parade.

      Delete
  5. It certainly isn't warm enough here in London for roses! Let's see what January and February throw at us... Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness gracious if it gets any warmer here our damn bulbs are going to be coming through the ground already

      Delete
  6. I forgot about the rose parade.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always spectacular! It's been so long since I watched this parade, I didn't even know that it's called "The Rose Parade" now and not "The Rose Bowl Parade" the way it used to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1/02/2023

    Tundra Bunny here... The Rose Parade hasn't been aired in Canada for years -- the floats are as gorgeous as I remember though! My faves are the Koi fish, Indian Elephant and that stunning Chinese Dragon. Happy New Year, Mistress Maddie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were so many good ones this year, but that Chinese dragon one really took my breath away.

      Delete
  9. Watched the parade with the grandkids this year! The MITM fetched doughnuts while we enjoyed the parade.Great start to the new year, sweetpea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year Savy!!!! Good to see you survive not one but two parties!!! You're at least close enough to drive to see this parade. closer then I, I should say.

      Delete
    2. I slept out with the Krewe when they were younger and honestly, seeing the parade in person ONCE was enough, darlin! At least watching at home, we're comfortable and well-fed and "watered," so to speak! xoxo

      Delete
  10. I have to agree with Savannah. It's a gorgeous parade, we use to make the trek to see it every year when I was a kid...one gets over the crowds. Now, we watch from the comfort of home to eat, drink and do "other things"! Happy New Year Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! I haven't heard about the Rose Bowl Parade in years! I caught it twice when living in the states and must say it was certainly fond memories. Good to know the tradition continues. And Happy New Year Mistress. It was quite a night along the canals in the Dam.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I caught a bit of the Rose Parade, and it certainly was gorgeous. Of course, I was at the Mummers Parade. It was nice to see the city back to as normal as possible for the day. And the Mummers seemed to shine even more so. Glad to hear you had a nice New Year's, and I didn't read of any spectacles in the papers.

    Yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that the Mummers were back I caught it on TV. I agree it looked like the groups were back and were shining better than ever, it was a very good parade.

      Delete
  13. I always loved the Rose Parade, and for me it's so much better on TV than on the stands (unless of course you have VIP seats). We bought tickets for the asses one year, The pacing of the parade was a disaster with 10-minute gaps between floats. And the stands were designed for pre-schoolers. The person in front of me had to tuck between my knees (and, no, it wasn’t fun for either of us) and the space per-person designated on the bleachers were half the width of the narrowest of people. Now where did all that whining come from?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Mummers Parade of Philadelphia is much the same. Only if you're not standing in the front you won't see anything. There are no bleachers except only at the judging stand. I think a parade is only good to see in person if there's not going to be a packed crowd.

      Delete
  14. That was supposed to be “tickets for the masses” but “asses” is more apt anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be more apt. Especially if I'm at a gay pride parade, I've watched more a fine ass that I did the parade!

      Delete
  15. Watching the Rose Bowl parade on 1 January was a big deal in my house. It meant it was the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1/03/2023

    Pat Lark says,
    Gosh, haven't watched the Rose Parade in decades. It's certainly amazing what creative people (like you!) can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even imagine the amount of hours that takes. I love watching parades I have no idea why.

      Delete
  17. I thought the koi carp rather impressive and your Chinese dragon

    ReplyDelete
  18. One year, when I was living in L.A., we went behind the scenes and looked at all the floats. I was amazed by the amount of flowers used. It boggles the mind... that these were grown for this one day, this one event. I couldn't imagine the number of man hours, energy, utilities, etc. that went into creating it all. It is spectacular... but also a bit excessive. I see the beauty. I see the spectacle. But there's a part of me that wonders if we shouldn't be putting our resources to better use? I KNOW. I'm being THAT GUY. But... just food for thought. Lovely photos, btw. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They stated yesterday that the floats cost any where from $150- 300, 000!!!!!

      Delete
  19. I always forget this parade is on TV, therefore I miss it. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Maybe I'll remember to watch it next year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. In Italy we have similar floral displays, but in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had forgotten all about this parade till a couple years ago. I caught it on TV last year and this year again. Definitely one of the better ones to watch. Blows my mind what they can do with flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!