Wednesday, January 4, 2023

DRAG RACE, SEASON 89


Don't let the post title fool you. I think RuPaul will have RuPauls Drag Race Season 126 one day!!!! No, I think this is the year yours truly has decided to make it the final season to watch, with exception to the foreign versions, which tickle me more. I always thought Ru should only do 15 seasons, and then end with Season 16 with all the past winners for a final season. While I enjoy drag and Drag Queens, I feel like, with many reality and competition shows, it starts to get a bit redundant. Every year I say I won't watch, but then some sister or drag friend goes and gets on and I feel as though I must watch to throw my support and my curiosity gets the better of me. Like this year, friend Mistress Isabelle Brooks got on, in addition to longtime drag acquaintances Sugar and Spice, who were practically in diapers when I first met them. So... we shall see, but it looks to be another very lonnnnnng season. Now the show moves yet again to another network, with 16 dragtestants...hence the twins, and a $200,000 cash prize. Sadly again, only 9 states represented. 5 queens from CA, 3 from CT, FL has 1, NJ has 1, NYC has 2, TN -1 TX- 1 and Washington and Nevada 1 each. The surprise cast was Sasha Colby, who is the drag mother, and fierce ex- pageant queen of last season's Kerri Colby, sure to get on my nerves. As always here is the cast and in the order from what I think will be first gone to the top three in my opinion.

Irene Dubois
 or Irene the Alein as she is sometime called, hails from Seattle and is the outspoken queen who is Bosco's drag sister. Irene combines Texan glam with Seattle wit and grit, expect eclectic and extravagant drag, with high camp and a touch of drama. But with high expectations, I surmise she'll be the first gone. But everything we've seen before.

Princess Poppy is our San Fran queen this year, and she will bring both beauty and an eccentric edge to the competition for all the little time she will be here. She's great though, she sings, raps, acts and dances and serves a great drag show. Go see her if in San Fran, and she serves up a twisted sense of humor. But for the competition she is to close in style to last year's finalists Lady Camden. securing an early out.

Sugar. Like her twin, Spice they were both HUGE drag sensations on social media before even starting in clubs, and both were more beat for the Gods, than some longtime drag queens. I adore them, they're both fun and naughty and so full of energy... but while Spice is a bit more outgoing, I really don't think either twin will be long in the season. But Sugar will leave first I believe. Unless of course, they switch places, the old twin trick and don't tell anyone!!!! Now that would be some funny shit!!!!

Robin Fierce is from Hartford CT, and as the name suggests- Fierce!  As Connecticut's Grande Dame she is a mix of Beyonce style and sass, and a pinch of Diahann Carrol class. She has a chill vibe, but when she hits a stage look out, expects kicks, flips and cartwheels. But anything we haven't seen before?

Amethyst is also from West Hartford, and another jewel in the crown of the Connecticut drag scene. She is pop princess and meme queen, she's pretty and witty and can bring the kooky style, and huge on Tik Tok...But I see a mid-point exit for her.

Aura Mayari is from Nashville and is known to be a high kicking, high energy Filipina Goddess known for slaying stages. And brings a bit of sexy swagger to her drag. I'm torn here as she or Spice will go about this point.

Spice is the edgier diva queen of the twins, and she proves that she's got plenty of flavor to stand on her own. Spice will do well as long as the acting and comedy challenges don't happen too much. Her strength is definitely looks and make up technique.

Jax is the flips and twirls girl of the season and hails from Queens, NY. She is a self-described Simone Biles of drag growing up doing gymnastics and competitive cheerleading. Her style is a mix of Kandy Muse banshee and a pinch of Symone's haute hip- hop, henny.

I adore Malaysia Babydoll Foxx, and would you believe is the first queen from Miami to grace the Drag Race stage?!?!?  A professional make-up artist by trade and hairstylist...she'll bring it, and as an opiniated foxy veteran mama, she'll bring the skills, and thrills and will dish it to the younger queens, she should have an easy sail to make it to the 7th or 8th placement.

Marcia is the most popular girl in school!!! She is one of NYC'S up and coming ingenues, who sings, dances, and brings, of course, the Broadway chops and dance to the mainstage. I also get a great sense of style from her, and a tad of the Willow Pill "little cutesy factor", hence why I don't think she'll win.

Salina Es Titties hails from Los Angeles and is my wild card for the season, who I hope I'm right, will do well, and may just close out in the top 6. She is very entertaining, brassy, sassy, and the Latinx diva. She's a fiery combo of chola style and campy comedy...I adore her style as she reminds me of many of the early NYC queens of the Village I remember with fondness, like Laritza DuMont, and Lady Catira. Salina takes no prisoners...this saucy sister stays booked and busy. She also has got a mouth, big drag and big plans. But I don't see a win.


Adora Loosey LaDuca and have featured her here many times. Would you believe she is a construction worker by day??? And at night is a singing and dancing diva form CT. Loosey is a funny perfectionist as well as a powerhouse performer with killer curves and padding in all the right places and has been killing the Connecticut scene for close to 13 years. Loosey is showgirl sass and camp charisma. She one also gets a Miz Cracker vibe...which is why I think it will get her far in the competition, but not the win. I place her in 5th.

My top four picks....
I get vibes from this queen she'll do well. Anetra is a self-described stunt queen who can deliver splits, dips and all the tricks to slay a stage. While she can be low key, she will sail under the radar, while she takes a few of the other queens off one by one. She'll be in form Sin City...the land of performance.


While I have very mixed feeling Sasha Cobly even being on the show, well it is a free country, I feel she doesn't need this title as she is already very well known worldwide in the drag community, had a memorable reign as Miss Continental, and is the Mother of the House of Colby. This Hawaiian born goddess has been slaying the drag scene stages for 20 years or more, so she's got to live up to her legendary reputation, of serving body beauty and all-around talent. But can she win like her famous other pageant sisters did on their season like Envy Peru, Vanessa Van Cartier and Trinity Taylor? If she is not top 3, I'd be highly shocked.


My bitch...Mistress Isabelle Brooks!!!!!If Eureka and Ginger have a baby.... Mistress Isabelle is one of my two choices for the win.  And not because of the name sake. After 15 season of the US version, it's appalling a plus size queen has not won yet. But Mistress could be the one to do it, as she is from the city of Houston, where she is the epitome of classic Southern tough as nails drag. Houston's heavyweight will pack a punch-trust. Gutsy, talented, glamorous, full of tude, and knows when to flip the switch, Mistress Isabelle was born and bred in the spangled world of Texas drag, of old school and leant the new school....and those southern queens are dammmmmmn thirsty. 

This East Orange queen, Luxx Noir London is the youngest of the season 15 queens, but she's got the confidence to take it all the way, which I think she will. Luxx is an effervescent ingenue whose stunning style is matched only by her no hold's barred attitude. I hear good things about Luxx from the Jersey queens and friends who have seen her perform. I think she has the confidence to take it the whole way. She is my other choice for winner, if Mistress Isabelle doesn't win. This queen could really benefit from the win. And Luxx better watch out from Spice...she adores herself a man of color!!!!


What you all think henny's? Winner? A favorite? Will Ru reach Season 126? if you watch the clip, just from the opening runways you can get a feel for their personalities. And how sharp does Willow Pill look?!?!?! Werk henny!

31 comments:

  1. Thanks for the preview. I put this season's Race on my calendar a week ago. Can't wait. And how dare Mistress steal your nom de plume. You are the one and only Mistress ... that is except for Elvira.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew all these years later the title Mistress would be so popular?

      Delete
  2. Hard to choice here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I can't wait to see how your predications pan out. We are all Salina Es Titties up in this house! WE ADORE HER! She has no off switch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first introduction to Salina.... and she is hysterical!

      Delete
  4. Please.....We are totally going to see a Spice vs Sugar lip sync for your life. The producers are LIVING for that shit, they aint fools. And I agree I do think Sasha and Mistress Isabelle will make the top 4. I've met Robin Fierce here once and she is one of the most polite and well-spoken queens I've ever met.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see the other queens react to Sasha Colby entering the competition lol. I would pack my bags and ask her for an autograph. Great preview post bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm coming to the season for Sugar and Spice, but Salina just got added to my tops. That girl is over the top!!!! Hilarious. And Robin... God, she looks gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagine waiting 16 years to get on Drag Race and you walk in and your competition is THE SASHA COLBY.. I would die. But you know I like my southern queens. I too have to root for Mistress Isabelle Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sugar and spice are so likable and do able as boys. Follow them on Instagram. I can’t wait to see them compete!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok I came in rooting for Irene, Robin and Aentra.... but Salina Estitties is where it’s at. I couldn’t stop smiling and laughing throughout that whole interview and my face actually hurts now. I freaking love her!!!! That personality is everything ❤ Es Titties for the win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The interview and the runway preview were excellent. I loved all their personalities, but SALINA had me dying!!! That NAME alone. ROTFLMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. On appearance alone, I’d go with Mistress Isabel Brooks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your assessment of the show; when realty shows are new, the challenges are new and fun, but as they air longer and longer it becomes less interesting because people are now playing The Game.
    I'll watch, waiting for that one stand out to wow me, and the challenges I love ... Snatch Game ... and for Ru and Michelle, who slay me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just so you know, for future reference, I really don't like the color pink. Pepto-Bismol is not something I remember fondly,.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope this is the year a Big Girl FINALLY wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean in all fairness the best contestant wins, but I find it horrible to believe that we have not had a plus size queen win yet in 15 seasons. I mean when Eureka was on and Ginger they got stronger and stronger every season they were on. It's still escapes me how Ginger did not win her season. Of course going in I'm not so sure Ru and the producers don't already have in mind who they want to win.

      Delete
  15. Anonymous1/04/2023

    Pat Lark says,
    With such a looooong history in drag performances/shows, it's about time someone made it onto the DR. But, you are right...after so long reality shows get stale.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Irene Scissorhands? Hen is a very Scottish greeting; did a lot of Scots relocate to Pennsylvania?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1/04/2023

    Tundra Bunny here... Did Ru Paul's choice of "S&M Barbie Meets The Indy 500" is a jolt to the old retinas, but I hope Mistress Isabelle Brooks wins too. Voluptuous "Rubenesque" girls deserve their share of the limelight!

    And although I've never seen a Drag Race series, there are so many reality/competition shows that are 10-20 years past their expiration dates and deserve to be kicked to the curb. Trouble is, cable TV is a wasteland of garbage and re-cycled shows -- nothing new or original, except on PBS or CBC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my God Tundra I couldn't agree with you more. I remember when Top Model was on for years and years in addition to the likes of Survivor, The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, any of the housewives series. I mean who keeps watching this shit year after year? Fortunately RuPaul's Drag Race is still strong, it's just me who's ready to move on for new stimulation, which is part of the reason why I think I like the foreign versions better.

      Delete
  18. you can't give up on the show, who's going to fill in the cracks for us? besides maybe Rue should bring you one at the judge, it's beyond me why she doesn't have another drag queen on the panel besides herself.who knows how to judge drag better than other drag queens?

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is THE MOST GORGEOUS cast of Queens, yet! The BEST promo of drag race...ever! I'm getting major hits of old school drag race, with just the right amount of fresh and new!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I admit to loving Salina Es Titties, but I still won't watch. I feel the same as you on some fronts. But I think this looks terrible. Why do most of the queens have the same face? Even the twins have a more varied look between them.

    All the queens from this have a face from A queen from another season. This show is awful. It’s long become a tired, empty parody of itself. I’d say “let it die” but Ru likes money too much, which is why she jumped again...more money offered. I guess the fracking needed some compensation since she got burnt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think I agree with Mistress Isabelle Brooks , Sasha and Anetra as top three. Meanwhile as guys....Jax can get it, Anetra can get it, Aura can get it morning, noon and night, Marcia can get it, Salina can get it, and Loosey can leave me all kinds of loose!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will agree Aura out of drag?!?!? Can you say trade of the season!!! And Marcia could get tapped too!!!!!

      Delete
  22. Yes, a program that's been on since Lincoln was president does get tired, but I think what I like is that Ru is a link to my past. For us dinosaurs, it's fun to hear witty shade & clever reading. Sadly, the shade & reading is often neither clever or witty.

    Also, as the YEARS have gone on, the contestants have gotten, dare I say, crappier. I long for the days of fabulous big girls you mentioned above, Bianca, Rolaxatox, Jinx, real talent!

    And scrolling through this new season, what's with these names? Don't the girls have any imagination
    anymore? Nevertheless, I'll keep watching. I feel it's my duty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the show, but I just grown bored with it for some of the reasons you stated. I feel as though while I watch...its like going to a job you love but are bored with it. And I couldn't agree more with the names. I think there is definitely a lack of creativity with names except for Salina Es Titties. Where are the Carmen Getit, Helen Bed, Sandy Beaches, Melody Tune and the Silver Fox's??? Back then there was no need to explain your name. They are often the queens I remember.

      Delete
  23. Rooting for Luxx, Mistress Isabelle, Anetra. I always wanted twins to be on drag race but imagine how awkward it'll be if they were top 2 or had to lip-sync against each other ? You really don't think they'll place higher?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!