Sunday, June 27, 2010

A Very LARGE Organ!

Yes it is true. The Mistress went to see the world's largest organ yesterday to enjoys it's magic and share it with some friends also. I just love large things! Now get your mind out of the gutter, it was the Wanamaker Organ of course! They were having their yearly concert yesterday, and I went with my good friends, The Capital Street Duo to heat it, and first as tradition, we had to go have cock-a-tails first. And what a better place to go then to my favorite Cuban/Colombian joint Mixto.




While there we ogled the hot boys and waiters and enjoyed some refreshing pomegranate mojitos. As you can see they have quite the list of mojitos. And are they delish. We went and had two pitchers of them and my good friend Dame Courtney had a peach sangria which was also very refreshing. After some nibbles and a very nice buzz it was onto The Wanamaker Building, now Macy's, for the Organ Concert.



As always this years concert was free to the public and it opened at 10am with KEN COWAN. PETER RICHARD CONTE and special guests were featured in a concert at 11:30 that was broadcast live on Jill Pasternak's "Crossover" on public radio. Capping the day on the Wanamaker Organ at 5pm was the Grand Closing Concert with PETER RICHARD CONTE, the Philadelphia Brass, and added Brass Chorus and Tympani in a Sonic Spectacular! Wall shaking performances I say! I do like the sound of the organ, but the shows were just long enough to experience one of these shows. A little organ goes a long way, in some cases! But it was a wonderful day with good friends! The organ was built by the Los Angeles Art Organ Company for the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, the Wanamaker Organ was designed by renowned organ architect George Ashdown Audsley, author of The Art of Organ-Building. This heroic instrument had more than 10,000 pipes, and its construction was on such a lavish scale that costs soared to $105,000,bankrupting the builder. In 1909, Philadelphia merchant-prince John Wanamaker bought the instrument for his new Philadelphia emporium. Thirteen freight cars were required to ship the entire organ from St. Louis, and installation took two years. The Grand Organ was first heard in the Store's seven-story atrium on June 22, 1911, at the exact moment when England's King George V was crowned at Westminster Abbey. Now a National Historic Landmark and valued in excess of $57 million, the Wanamaker Organ is of the American Symphonic design, which can play the great organ masterworks as well as the entire range of orchestral literature. What a marvel to look at!




19 comments:

  1. Oooh coconut mojito! It seems like getting a pitcher is the most economical choice too though I would have a hard time sticking to just one flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6/27/2010

    Incredible photos! Always love a large organ.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!
    And wow, that's impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinanting post. I love organs of all sizes, except maybe those tiny toy organs, but an organ of size is always impressive... & the music can nlow you out of your seat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow~ the sound must be impressive, especially being there in person!
    I'm sure it would give nice goosebumps.

    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could have been there. Sounds Like it was a really good time. And is that store spectular or what?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is this the John Wannamaker Department store in Center City? I remember being there back in 1981, and listening to the organ play on that Christmas season while visiting Philly. It's been so many years, and the organ and the store are still there. Now a Macy's? I remember the store had a restaurant at the top floor which was expensive and very good food. Thanks for the memories. Sounds like yet another fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Girl-I thought you were pass the organ phase now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is no real words to describe the ambiance, soundstage, and beauty of a performance for the public that the Wanamaker organ provides. I was privilaged enough to play along once witht the strings from the symphony. I have never lost the memory. It is so very refreshing to see that Macy's kept the performances going, even though they junked up the stunning store.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fluffycat- It is hard to stick to one flavor. Everything I have had has been delish!

    Michael- you and me both ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to hear the organ play and get to hear it a couple times a week when I'm on my lunch break, shopping of course, and it still gives me goose bumps every damn time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this Pipe Organ, I heard it live in 2001
    Its a must see and hear if you are in Philladelphia. And I'll have to go to Mixto to rty those drinks when I come back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful ! Thank you for posting this.Philadelphia was my hometown. I love the Wanamaker Organ and applaud Macy's for keeping a city treasure in tack. You are always up to something intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course Maddie showed me the huge organ when I visited her fair city! It was a highlight along with the huge chocolate treat at the Naked Chocolate Cafe. It's all large with the Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Doesn't suprise me one bit that you enjoy I large organ! And I 'm betting you play it just fine!!! Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now Joy, don't be spreading rumors I showed you my big organ while here! I don't know what she is talking about people.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't the Mistress cute when she plays all innocent and coy? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. MY! I haven't seen a organ that big in some time :o

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous10/18/2014

    It's a shame you don't have a donate button!
    I'd certainly donate to tyis superb blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and
    adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to brand new updates
    and will talk about this site with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

    Feel free to surf to my page; David Drwencke

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!