Sunday, March 14, 2010

The September Issue, In March


So, my copy of The September Issue arrived this week and what a better time to watch it than during all the rain we are getting. Now, whether or not you follow fashion, or even interested in it, or like Anna Wintour, I think this documentary is down right fascinating. It was very interesting to see just how much work goes into a issue and how the whole process works from beginning to end. Vogue has been the most powerful and best-respected fashion magazine in the world for decades, and each year the journal devotes a fall issue to the designs and designers that the editors feel will be influential in the coming year. We get Vogue at our store along with many others but Vogue really is the blible and we use it lots for insprition and to keep up with the latest trends.


Anna Wintour, the legendary editor-in-chief of Vogue magazine for twenty years, is the most powerful and polarizing figure in fashion these days and has been. Hidden behind her trademark bob and sunglasses, she has never allowed anyone to scrutinize the inner workings of her magazine. Until now. With unprecedented unlimited access, filmmaker R.J. Cutler's new film takes the viewer inside a world they only think they know. Every August a record-breaking number of people can't wait to get their hands on the September issue of Vogue. The 2007 issue was and remains the biggest ever, weighing over four pounds, selling thirteen million copies, and impacting the $300-billion global fashion industry more than any other single publication. He takes us behind the scenes at Fashion Week, to Europe, on shoots and re-shoots, and into closed-door staff meetings, bearing witness to an arduous, entertaining, and sometimes emotionally demanding process. At the eye of this annual fashion hurricane is the two-decade relationship between Wintour and Grace Coddington, incomparable Creative Director and fashion genius.


They are perfectly matched for the age-old conflict between creator and curator. Through them, we see close-up the delicate creative chemistry it takes to remain at the top of the ever-changing fashion field. The chemistry between these two fascinated me more than anything else in the film. As a visual stylist, I really got into seeing Grace's creative side and I could feel her disappointments when she got nixed on some things creatively, but you go on and survive. And what a role model she is. Grace started out a model and is now probably the best and most talented Creative director in magazine publishing. In my line of work the road can really take you so my directions. The other part of the film which is interesting is Anna's Editor -at- Large, the larger than life Andre Leon Talley,the side kick you see with Anna at runway shows.





Andre I found to be interesting as he seems to be the only one there at Vogue who acts as the office jester. He really seems to balance out the place with tons of humor and can make Anna laugh. And his whole schick at the luxurious men's haberdasher Charvet is just priceless. He reminds me of my friend Vera with his decorum, mannerisms, and taste for the finer things. He also made me laugh when he said he couldn't work in a cubicle because their isn't enough air and ventilation, or creativity in a matchbox. so he makes the whole world his office.Here's a example of his sense of humor when he hears he has to eat in the car.



What a great film and I found it to be very inspring for myself. I highly recommend this film.Tootles.

15 comments:

  1. Did you see that Andre Leon Talley is a judge this season of America's Next Top Model? Next week he's supposed to be introducing the word "dreckitude." I would not want to be an aspiring model in his presence -- or Ms. Wintour's. Those bitches know their fashion.

    Oh, and what are you doing posting at this hour?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the mid-80s my Dad ran the papermill in Louisiana that produces the paper that Vogue was printed on. He would get early tear sheets of the magazine every month and I would see it before it was printed and distributed. I was soooooo impressed and could tell you all about the application of clay in the making of paper for glossy magazine pages.
    Good movie review and I will try and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found the 60 minutes interview with her very intresting so now upon your recommendation I have to see this! I has always fasainated me about the magazine bussiness. And Andre is so entertaining he could really have a reality show onto himself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Batina3/14/2010

    I saw this when it came to New York and was pleasantly surprised how intrested it kept my attention. There is way more to fashion then one thinks and how trends can be made of taken away so quickly. And we get to see a whole other side to Anna Wintour. I guess you could say she sort of let her hais down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i REALLY liked this movie, too... i couldn't understand those who didn't. in fact, this issue was so iconic for me at the time, and was so impactful, that i immediately remembered ALL the shoots. i love the little secret of the documentary crew being the camera men in that color-blocking editorial... i always wondered. i wish i still had my copy so i could see whether grace ended up getting her way over the guy's gut, LOL.

    speaking of grace: i was surprised i liked her so much. i recognized her, of course, but didn't know much about her personality prior to "the september issue". i expected her to be more like anna, and nothing could be further from the truth. i'm full-on in love w/ her now, and her eye/creativity is astounding.

    last thing: i NEED some amber beads like anna has. i probably don't make enough dinero in one year to purchase them, but nonetheless ~ i have my eyes peeled for a decent knock-off. :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan3/15/2010

    I have been wanting ti see this and I'm glad to hear you liked it. I just love Anna Wintoutr and Andre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen this movie yet, but really want too. Andre is a complete roit with all his fine things in life and comic side. And then you put Anna Wintour next to him, they really balance out! I will have to order this movie also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a huge fan of fashion but this looks like it could be quite intresting. Anna is a classy woman though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I like the people in the movie this just looks boring as hell! No offense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this movie is wonderful! It really does have something for everyone in it. I don't know squat about fashion and found it to be very intresting if not for just the people it follows. Anna is a lengend, Grace has tons of talent and Andre is just a laugh a minute. If your friend Vera is like that she must be pretty entertaining. Great review too Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a great aunt on my mother's sdie of the family that worked for Vogue and she worked with Diane Vreeland at one time. I should watch this since it hits close to home. My aunt had some great stories from her days there. I was too young to remember them though when she told them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kailyn- Did Miss J leave the show? Andre is pretty damn funny, I keep watchung the scenes over and over again.

    Froggy- That's pretty neat to hear. You have a connection to Vogue and you didn't even know it! You didn't even need to buy the magazine. You should save those suckers.

    Kayce- I couldn't agree more with all your comments! Grace really is extremely talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous3/15/2010

    Looks like a great film! Thanks for the review.I love fashion so I 'll have to catch this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In answer to your question, no. We get Miss J AND Andre.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Maddie, I'll add this one to the queue. It may not be for Stan, but I know I'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!