Friday, January 22, 2010

Queens on The Big Screen

In continuing with Drag History Month,here are some of the top ten favorite drag queens movies if you haven't seen any of them, you know, in case anyone wants to celebrate Drag History Month. Have you seen any? What was your favorite? Mine is Too Wong Foo.

10. Tootsie - Dustin Hoffman redefined drag as Tootsie in this great movie.Not exactly the most attractive guy dressed like a girl ever but still a great flick with great acting and sentimental appeal.

9. Some Like it Hot - Speaking of unattractive girls that are really guys,Jack Lemmon and Tony Curtis are the epitomy of ugly girls as they bunk and befriend Marilyn Monroe in this great flick from 1959. This was the inspiration for the 70's t.v. show "Bosom Buddies" that launched Tom Hanks career.

8. The Crying Game - Now this is one of those movies you either love or hate. It's dark and sad and intense,but consider it most definitely a great movie, even if the whole penis scene was a little intense.

7 To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar - Any movie that makes Wesley
Snipes look hot as a girl is okay, plus Stockard Channing! I think Noxzema Jackson in probably my favorite character in a movie as a drag queen.

Patrick Swayze pulls it off too, but not nearly as well as John Leguizamoa who apparently is a girl anyway. Still this hokey movie has some warm moments and is enjoyable to watch.

6. Hairspray - You know this is every fat girl's fave. Fat girl makes good,is popular and is much loved. What's not to love and so what if her mom sounds like Harvey Feirstein when he/she talks. That makes it all the better. Besides no one remembers Tracy's dad, but Mom played by Divine is a hulking lovable force to be reckoned with.

5. Mrs. Doubtfire - Speaking of Harvey Feirstein who plays Robin Williams lovably gay brother the make up artist who assists him in going to drag grandmother type to be his own children's nanny while widdling his way back into his ex-wive's home. This hysterical and adorable movie, does drag proud.

4. Torch Song Trilogy - This movie takes on some serious gay subject matter. This movie stars, Harvey Feirstein, and what's not to love about any guy who has a fondness for bunny slippers and sequins. Matthew Broderick has a boy on boy kissing scene early in this movie too, but his love affair with Harvey's character is the crux of the movie. This touching movie features a drag queen who is in love with our boy Matt and their tragic love story is so well told in this movie. Matt's mom, played by Anne Bancroft has that someday he'll find a nice girl and settle down mentality adds great comic relief too.

3. The Bird Cage - Robin Williams and Nathan Lane take on La Cage Au Folles and win. Nathan Lane is the most lovable drag queen ever and his imitation of John Wayne in his quest to be butch is hysterical. You will laugh until you pee. And speaking of unattractive in drag again...well, Gene Hackman. Another plus- Christine Baranski. A minis-Calissa Flockheart.

2.. Priscilla Queen of the Desert - This is the queen of all drag queen movies. There are more sequins, feathers and silliness in this movie than any other. Join Priscilla and her fellow dragees as they trek through the desert for a gig. Their hijinx are priceless. What a hoot! And it has Guy Pierce!

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show- Tim Curry is a freak in this, and I love this movie. It's best seen live in a theater with a bunch of Rocky freaks.

13 comments:

  1. Love the list!
    I've seen, and loved, them all....though Too Wong Foo? Patrick Swayze? No.
    But it was good cheesy fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun list! And To Wong Foo is still the only film I've ever liked Wesley Snipes in. I would also add Leslie Jourdan in Sordid Lives and the three gals from Girls Will Be Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1/22/2010

    Very good list of movies! I've seen most. There are still a few on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Don't get strung out
    by the way I look
    Don't just a book
    by its cover."

    Brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/22/2010

    I've quite literally watched Too Wong Foo about 100+ times, and know just about every quote, and could answer any trivia question about the movie.

    Go ahead, test me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan1/22/2010

    I like all these movies except the first three. I haven't seen them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girl, you gave me the best idea for Friday night. I'm having in my boys tonight instead of going out, so I'm having drag movie night. I love all these movies but like best, Too Wong Foo, Prisilla, and Torch Song and I got them for tonight. I wonder if I should make everyone wear a wig?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Crying Game was a great movie, and put Forest Whitaker on the map. I forgot all about the movie. One of my other favorite drag movies is Die Mommy Die! Charles Bush rocks.And if you can believe this, I have yet to see Too Wong Foo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great list! I also loved Starbooty with RuPaul. Way to campy but very good for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very entertaining list of movies and all very fun to watch. I also love the Did Mommie Die and the Girls will be Girls! Varla Jean is funny as hell in that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've seen all of these and agree with your reviews of them. My faves are The Bird Cage, The Crying Game, Mrs. Doubtfire, Tootsie, and Hairspray. Well, I started that list and then kept adding to it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen all of them except Rocky Horror. My fave is Torch Song Trilogy, closely followed by To Wong Fu.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Wong Foo is probably my favorite, but Torch Song will always be close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!