Saturday, January 2, 2010

Go Into The Light, All Are Welcome.



It saddens me to hear that Zelda Rubinstein who is currently 76,and is a actress who is best known as the medium Tangina Barrons in the movie Poltergeist and its sequels is near death. Zelda spent over a month at Los Angeles' Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, where two of her major organs failed. The decision has since been made to turn off Rubinstein's life support machine this past Tuesday. A friend of hers told Radaronline.com, "Her lungs and kidneys have failed and she's in and out of consciousness. It's only a matter of time now - she doesn't have long to live."


Rubinstein was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and attended the University of California and the University of Pittsburgh. She stands just 4 feet 0 inches, due to a deficiency of the anterior pituitary gland, which produces growth hormone. Commenting in 2002 on the challenges of being a very short statured person, Rubinstein said, "Little People are societally handicapped. They have about two minutes to present themselves as equals—and if they don’t take advantage of that chance, then people fall back on the common assumption that 'less' is less." You may also remember Zelda in the show Pickett Fences where she played Ginny Weedon. I used to love that show. But I think for me I will always love her as Tangina Barrons best in Poltergeist. You damn well knew that house wasn't clean, but she was so damn funny with the southern accent how could you not love her!

5 comments:

  1. I love that woman :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen that movie in ages, but she scared the shit out of me more than the ghosts and bodies that came out of the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan1/02/2010

    I always wonder what her mane was!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sad that is to hear it. Zelda never starred in much well known parts, but what is does star in she always gives 100 percent to the part. I loved her in Picket Fences as well and Poltergiest, but my favorite part was when she starred in Don't Forget your Rubbers. She was funny as all in that. I will miss acting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who is "vertically challenged" herself (about 5 feet tall), I appreciate her comments about being small. I've found that people DO tend to overlook a small person, and I think it made me work that much harder to be good at what I did. It's sort of gratifying to hear that she experienced the same thing, and she also overcame it. Safe journeys, Ms. Rubenstein!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!