Sunday, January 3, 2010

Drag History Month



It was said last year that the network, Logo created Drag History Month as a vehicle to launch RuPaul's Drag Race. Whether it was or wasn't, who cares. I'm still claiming it Drag History Month anyhow. These diva's work hard throughout out the year providing everything form hijinks's, laughter, and vary our club landscape, and help to raise thousands of dollars for our community for all different causes. It is at many times a costly hobby in some cases and a unique art form in my opinion. So this month the Mistress will try to feature drag tidbits and some drag history to y'all. To start things off I have always liked the documentary Lipstick Boys as a brief history. Here is a snippett of the movie. I always found it interesting how the name "drag queen" got it's title. And how it was accepted in the beginning when men dressed as women in the olden days in female parts, to not being allowed to cross dress at all, and now drag in some areas doesn't get a second glance ,like in the big cities again. It's like "Oh look, a drag queen." And people, it takes work to get in drag. I remember saying that this is it, never again. Till all the pulling and layers go on, and all the make-up tricks and all the mile high hair is piled up it really is worth seeing the finished product and knowing you have made some people's nights more entertaining. So a major hat tip to the fellow queens everywhere! Now here's a short documentary called Lipstick Boys, which actually is a fascinating look at the history of drag performance, from the Elizabethan times to today. The documentary pays special attention to Julian Eltinge, the famous vaudeville female impersonator and the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence, who have turned drag into a public service.

10 comments:

  1. I saw this advertized on Logo, and was happy to see the Drag Queens get a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH look, how clever to do a Drag History Month. I can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did last year, so I can't wait to see what you feature this year. What a great month. And most clubs in the city are featuring drag shows all month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post. I don't think I ever knew the orgin of the term drag queen. And Lipstick Boys looks intresting, I wouldn't mind seeing the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea my hat is off toall of you. A friend did me up once in drag and it was so uncomfortable and the pain! I looked good but never again! Great movie-saw it once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marissa Devine1/04/2010

    Happy Drag Month to all the queens out there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great clip. I have seen the movie also. Some inresting stuff in there. And I'm sure you can teach me many other things then drag history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Batina1/04/2010

    If this is drag history, then RuPauls Drag Race must be coming up soon? Great post. It does take a hell of a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2/17/2010

    You have really great taste on catch article titles, even when you are not interested in this topic you push to read it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3/12/2010

    This is my first visit here, but I will be back soon, because I really like the way you are writing, it is so simple and honest

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!