Tuesday, November 2, 2021

AMORE ITALIA

 
Italy is getting it's own Drag Race Italia to premiere in later November. It seems the franchise just keeps going and who in hell can keep up?  But I firmly believe this season will set many statements and prescience with what is going on in Italy currently. Firstly , it's exciting that yet another legendary queen was chosen to host, and will be very hands on like Fred and Supremme...Priscillia!

Priscilla if you will is already a grande Dame of Italy in her own right, and unlike RuPaul has kept her roots in her community extremely active. Priscilla who is the  alter ego of Mariano Gallo,  is the Italian sensation at the helm of this season, is very active still with touring, and is widely known for his work in the Grecian nightlife Metropolis of Mykonos, where he has a regular residency, and is a longtime fixture at the Jackie O beach club. Famous for her performance of Tina Turner's cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival tune, Proud Mary. In addition she is well known for taking under her wing new queens, and helping them to launch drag careers, and tours Europe with a very high NRG one woman show...keeps herself out there with the girls, which I think is great. I think Priscilla is going to be very hands on like Supremme, not just host and a judge.  It's that mentorship, sisterhood, and comradery that hits home and "gets in the trenches" with the queens, and is what I think Ru is lacking. I think he is a great choice for host. 

  
But this season,  like I said,  is going to set prescience. This is, on average, a way older cast of queens than fans will be used to on the other editions. More than half of the 8 queens cast, are older, most over 40 with the highest age at 49, Enorma Jean, who will be competing for the crown. Divinity and Elecktra Bionic, the youngest at 27 both. We will also get the franchises first bearded queen. Luquisha Lubamba finally.

 It's seems that the European versions break the molds more then our very own edition on many levels. And if viewers think they are going to see fishy...guess again. Fishy and pageant are out the window.  When I see these queens, they look like they could all be starring in a Pedro Almodovar film...not necessary the prettiest queens, but the camp queens one would expect to see at a old La Cage show. And I'm here for that! This higher than average age is an exciting twist and it might indicate that this will be a show of very seasoned queens ready to serve, as they are representing from all over Italy. Another change the Italian version is ditching is the tag line" May the best woman, win", to May the best Drag Queen win." Which sort of makes sense. As expected RuPaul will thankfully not be hosting or judging any of the season as it ends up disastrous. We're all too aware of Ru's judging and not getting international drag schticks. But the show is coming along at a good time, and will send a huge fuck you to the country, that the LGBTQ is not going away. Just last week or the week before in Italy, the government removed protections for women, the LGBT and the disabled members of society. Grown men in the government got out of there seats and applauded the fact that these groups will be vulnerable groups and will no longer have protection from hate, and that is sick. And if you don't think that can happen here....take a good hard look at the news...it's already happening, and I fear it will get worse. So I applaud Priscilla and these queens for getting in the faces of it's citizens, and showing them what fabulous and intelligent look like.

Buona fortuna Regine!!!!!

30 comments:

  1. Im on BOARD for this henny! This promo wins. The best one ever. Even the way the judges act, top notch. Hype! Considering this trailer is less than a minute, but still gave a fully realized concept and production even the way they edit it, thats amazing. Appalling what the government is doing there...shocking rather. WERK IT QUEENS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right after their politicians cheered after removing LGBT protections from violence etc. THIS IS NEEDED!!! I also think Priscilla and Supremme will go down as the best judges and hostess. Loving the vibes of the queens too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This version and promo needed to happen, especially with what's happening in Italy at the moment with all those evil homophobes. Priscilla is GORGEOUS!!! Love the traitor too. Nice post Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. The host, Priscilla is serving through. That hair and outfit though. Come on through royalty. It's great this will be airing so soon after what happened last week. Love that Wow Present at the end listed (Excludes Italy). Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It will be interesting to see how well this is popular enough to spread beyond a tiny niche group. Catholic Italy is not known for sexual tolerance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I read about what was going on in Italy last week, I couldn't believe it. And then saw this!!! The march and resistance carry on. Don't rife with a drag queen I learned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES!!!!!!!!!! I hadn't head this yet!!!!! While I will still watch our version, these Euro franchises just hit different 🔥🔥🔥. I couldn't believe my ears either when I heard about Italy. It's bad enough for the women and LGBTQ, but disabled??? That is the low of lowest. For what reason?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laquisha reminds me of Adam Lambert. you go gurl! Italy needs this. Society there is going through some rough patches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some swish looking ladies there, but I wonder what Frankie and the Curia think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im sure being queens...they will have some very choice words. Has the church not seen what happened at Stonewall?

      Delete
    2. The church doesn't want to come out of the closet.

      Delete
  10. Priscilla kink cum and mentor me any time!
    And I think the international versions of the franchise is what's gonna keep this going. There'll still be Ru but -as with this Italian version- Drag will keep well, dragging some countries into the XXI century.

    Bravo!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you saw him on the street who'd have think he is the stunning Priscilla right?

      Delete
  11. I think I might be experiencing drag race fatigue, there's just to much drag race I can't keep up with it anymore lol. Every time they announce a new version/spin off I feel absolutely nothing. I don't know why they all have to be on top of each other...other then RuPaul being greedy for more $$$. Anyways, this looks great though, good luck everyone! And I had no idea what was goin on in Italy. THAT IS APPAULLING INDEED.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope for the countries sake, they can reverse these terrible laws they put in place. And Here I thought many European countries were ahead of us. I had no idea Italy was so conservative, but then again the Vatican and church are huge there.

    It is good to finally see a bearded queen,...FINALLY ❤️❤️‍🔥💓

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I cant believe there hasn't been one yet.

      Delete
  13. Hopefully Italy, and these groups will tell the Vatican and their politicians where to stick their demands. It the year 2021 for petes sake. I hope this season of Drag Race Italia does really well...they need it now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Might be the best promo video yet! Priscilla is stunning and the male The male judge looks thirsty and I’m loving it!!! I send my thoughts to those in Italy being discriminated against. It this whole world going in reverse?????? What's wrong with people?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seems like everything is going in reverse everywhere any more.

      Delete
  15. Being part Italian, I will watch this. This has got to be entertaining. But this will be it for me. I am burnt out of Drag Race now...and I find it annoying they have to air so many different seasons at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit nuts. I know other will recap and they honestly don't care anymore...its hard to recap three seasons at once.

      Delete
  16. Me : that’s it, I'm not watching anymore drag race for a while.
    DR Italia Promo : Hold my purse, grabs popcorn.

    And what a shame about the current climate for women and the LBGTQ in Italy! And your right, we'll be right behind them if we let our backs down.

    ReplyDelete
  17. When RuPaul can’t even be expected to record the damn promo… why not? And good for the show and these queens sending a huge fuck you to the church and polictians. Disgraceful legislation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I’m glad RuPaul is not involved. Italy will be as fierce as Spain and Holland.

      Delete
  18. I still love Drag Race...and watch them all except Holland which I couldn't get access to. I just fear they are killing the golden egg chicken , they are over flooding the scene with queens, it feels meh every season, seen that before at this point ….their success will be their own downfall. There are so many other ways to show and tell about drag queens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im the same. I think Italia will be the last for me for a while. I'm just getting too much drag.

      Delete
  19. He's dating material, for sure. Grrr. I want to rub his head. Very sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. last pic: so similar to Conchita Wurst (here his wikibio)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!