Monday, March 28, 2011

A Weekend of Capucci

This past Saturday morning, I headed to the Philadelphia Art Museum with the Lad, whom I was spending the weekend with, and to meet my other guests for the weekend, in addition to see the long awaited Art Into Fashion: Roberto Capucci exhibit. Showcasing the unique creations of Italian designer Roberto Capucci, the exhibit commemorated 50 years since the young designer showed his creations in this very city. A labor of love between the curator Dilys Blum, Roberto Capucci Foundation, and the Philadelphia Museum of Art, the Capucci exhibit is a feast of breathtaking design. And this is the designer's first ever showing in this country.

Roberto Capucci, a master of color, form, and innovative silhouettes, was one of the founders of modern Italian fashion in the early 1950s. Today, after six decades of creative achievement, he remains one of Italy’s most influential and imaginative artist-couturiers. Roberto Capucci captured the attention of the international press at an early age, drawing praise from designers such as Christian Dior when he was still a teenager. His work has appealed to Italian aristocrats like the noblewoman Maria Pace Odescalchi, Italian actress Elsa Martinelli, whom he helped project to fame, and American actresses Marilyn Monroe, Esther Williams, and Gloria Swanson. Today, Capucci fascinates and inspires contemporary designers such as Ralph Rucci, who admires Capucci’s dedication to the purity of his art. I just loved seeing this and couldn't wait to see it ever since I found out it was coming to Philly. I wonder if Mr. Capucci would be so inclined to create a gown for the Mistress to wear to next year's Night of A Thousand Gowns?



I really enjoyed myself as a love to see some avant-garde couture. After the mueseum we spent having a lovely dinner in town at Barclay Prime for dinner.


Afterwards it was off to the lounge and club tour and just a few cock-a-tails. And the Mistress is pleased to say she made it till about 3 am, and then hit a wall. She remembers barely some antics in the suite, but that's another story!!! Some girls don't kiss and tell. Tootles!

19 comments:

  1. They look like origami.
    Fab.U.Lous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of those gowns are absolutely spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very colorful and very pretty. Thanks for posting that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived just down the street from the museum. I walk passed it every day on my way to work. It appears I thought it was over way too soon, glad to hear it goes till june....would LOVE to see this exhibit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is a cool post. Mistress, I love your blog and I loved seeing these amazing dresses. As soon as I saw them the thought that came to my head was that Roberto Capucci needs to be hired ASAP to design costumes for you! I love the last one for myself

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sound like another good weekend Mistress! I don;t think I ever heard of Capucci, but he is very avant-garde for sure. Love the use of color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are breathtaking! I really, really love the first one and wish I could see the one with the leaf like things on the dress in the in better detail. What a lovely weekend! Thanks for the link in the sidebar too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They make me think of Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland: whimsical and colorful, totally surprising in the best way

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no excuse but to get off my ass and go to this! Thanks for sharing. And I LOVE Barclay Prime, best meat in the city, well, besides mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh! and I'm going to be in philly in may! The museum is my #1 destination every time I visit. Thanks for the heads up ahead of time for once!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those really are a work of beautiful art! You know we got a tour of it before it opened through the symphony and we play the event three times while the show is running, for member only night events. You should come, and maybe we can meet at last.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow these dresses are so fabulous!! How creative are they? I really want one. The exhibition sounds amazing, really want to go now, if only i lived in America! What a weekend Mistress, you are alway up to something intresting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know much about fashion, but these are stunning! And I want to know what went on in the room?????

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard about Roberto Capucci and his eclectic yet beautiful works. Based from the pictures above, it appears that Capucci is indeed a fashion genius. His use of unconventional materials in completing his pieces makes his works worth seeing. I would love to see his work in person.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post and the glowing colors of these gowns are magnificent. Roberto Capucci has a rose named for him from the Italian hybridizer, Rosa Barni. It is a beautiful peach color with wonder fragrance. This post is a great and thanks for a nice weekend for playing tour guide for us yet again and "entertaining" some of us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post! wonderful and bright for a Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Matthuis3/28/2011

    We're heading to the show tommorrow and I'm excited to see the exhibits. His beautiful use of color and form are extraordinary. Nice preview Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Works of art, mistress!
    I would love to try them on!!

    xo*

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Those are amazing. I could see the Mistress wearing any of these as she is stately! And what's this about the room and antics?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!