Wednesday, July 26, 2023

SKIN!


Is it any wonder with so many potions, creams, cleansers and powders that people get confused as to what to use on their skin, or what products to use since there appears to be something for just about every issue with the skin. There is something for everything, and they do, supposably, everything, but make you a cock-a-tail! Over the years being in the field of visual display, fashion, and visual styling, I have had connections with many different cosmetic company reps, that would give me full on swag bags filled with full size potions. One of the perks being in a high-end department store environment...I hadn't bought skincare or fragrance in years!!! Over the years I have used it all....and trying to find your right regime is like trying to test drive your sexuality when coming of age and what lane you will drive in!


I finally found my routine about 10 years ago. And I now opt for more natural products. As our Sixpence did on his blog, which showcased his skin care system, he also commented it's should also be about me time. I have me time in many ways during the week, but my one big treat is to each season get a "tune up" at a spa for a full day of me time. It usually consists of an hour and half massage, facial, body wrap, mani and pedi. Nothing like it.


I have really scaled back my routine daily with products I use. It used to be insane, but like I said about ten years ago I found my routine and stuck to it. And it must be working because our dear Duchess Deedles swears, I have a portrait in the attic that gets older, and Cali Boi and Anne Marie thought I was in my late 30's.  Daily upon getting up, it's brush the teeth, then off to the shower, where I use a bath gel and one of two facial cleansers. After the shower, I moisturize my entire body...yes, everything, with Michel's Tea Leaves and Ginger with Vitamin E. Once a week I also use Burt's Bee's Milk and Honey hand and foot cream. Works wonders and my feet look great if I say so myself. But daily....


Left to right...Native- Sea Salt and Ceder body cleanser. OMG!!! Smells wonderful! The facial cleanser... I have two I like, and rotate between the two every other day. Burt's Bees Orange Essence Cleanser or Burt's Bees Refreshing Foaming Cucumber Cleanser. After the shower, I use Humphrey's Witch Hazel with Rose Water. I have sworn by witch hazel for years. Then it's onto my moisturizer and an eye cream, and swear by Chanel Hydra Cream, with ultra hydrating moisture. Been using both now for almost 13 years and it may be the secret. Then I finish off with Chanel Matte Tinted Pressed Powder to take the shine off and add a touch of sun kissed look. That's it daily. Twice a week, maybe three times in the summer, I use at night before bed, a face mask also from Chanel, to get the sweat and grime of the day off and it really deeps cleans and leaves the skin so smooth. And when the mood strikes, there also may be a eyelash curler and eye wings done, if I'm stepping out at night!  Now when doing drag, that was a whole other story and routine. Noxzema is a queen's best friend and perfect on a sunburn. I will say a drag queen better have a good skincare routine, because the layers of make-up, adhesives and glues take a huge toll on the skin, especially applying it over and over day in and day out for shows. I have known many queens that look downright stunning henny in drag, but out of drag have faces like a mud fence.I always invested in my drag persona as much as my male self.

But my routine works for me and leaves me actually relaxed with the scents of the products...and so far, has thrown people off my real age. So, I will keep using it unless Lisle Von Rhuman offer up the "secret potion! 

Just because I'm getting older doesn't mean the showcase can't shine.

40 comments:

  1. I'll repeat the comment I left on Sixpence's post about this topic -- "See, this is another great reason to be a lesbian. My entire routine is Jergens hand lotion on my face after showering and Nivea lip balm to offset our dry air. Who the fuck has the time and patience for that other bullshit?" But Mistress, if you enjoy an extensive skincare regime and it works for you, enjoy and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have been a lesbian. It would have made life soooo much simpler. And I'd know my way around a Home Depot.

      Delete
  2. Aaaaah!
    I have died and you gave me life with this post! Well, not only because you namechecked me *blows kiss* but because this is exactly what I was talking about: self care if what? FUNDAMENTAL. And having 'me' time while making us enjoy fun products that make us look nice and feel better is kind of a journey I love for myself.
    I may start using an eye cream soon. My friends swear by the Inkey List caffeine one. Next trip to Sephora, I'm getting it!

    OXOX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have no idea the me time I have had with "fun products". Glad you enjoyed sweet cheeks.

      Delete
  3. Asking someone to guess your age is a sure fire way to either hear lies or frighten yourself. I know I look about 10 years older than I am, but then I don't care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything with ginger for me (and, oddly, I have nothing with ginger right now).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like anything ginger. Including food, candy, cock-a-tails, or women from Gilligan's Island.

      Delete
  5. The nearest I get to a "beauty routine" is a shave and a shower. Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 4 "s" routine. Shower, shave, shit and shampoo.

      Delete
  6. Just Aleppo soap during morning shower, from hair to toes. You won't find any cleansing product that's more natural and better tolerated by any kind of skin.
    Then a L'Oréal cream - sth like Revitalift Laser blah-blah I think - with 2 drops (not 3, two :-) of Chile musk rose essential oil after shaving. Works wonders.
    It helps pushing the boundaries of the fine genes I inherited from my father as to go on looking a tad younger than I really am, LoL!
    Hug you, Maddie,
    Laurent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the feeling you look very handsome Laurent. and you had me at Chile musk oil.

      Delete
  7. Noxzema in the morning is what keeps my skin ravishing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to swear by that when I did drag.

      Delete
  8. i've long said whatever you're doing keep it up. you look great for 105 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have impeccable timing. Last week, I started caring about my skin again after letting myself go at the beginning of the pandemic. I've always been a Philosophy girl, but now I've got a bottle of Neutrogena's Deep Clean for the oily skin on and around my nose. I also have those little loofa-like sponges to exfoliate my face and the rest of my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neutrogena has some excellent bath products. I used to and still do when a whim hits, their sesame bath oil.

      Delete
  10. Death Becomes Her!!!
    I love the idea of the "me" time and feeling smooth and silky and young and refreshed but I am THAT gay that keeps it very simple and it feels good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What can I say, I'm high maintenance! But not as bad as some queens.

      Delete
  11. As a past aesthetician, I have used and sworn by witch hazel. One of the best things on the market for cooling, cleansing, and used to refresh the skin. And for a gay man I would say you not as high maintenance as most I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And I even like witch hazel the plant, to just use in vases. Such a cool and pretty looking flower bloom.

      Delete
  12. I myself use a moisturizer and eye cream. That's about it. And I too LOVE that line of Native Shower soap. There scents are so awesome..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do smell nice. Some days I don't know whether to wash myself or lick myself?

      Delete
  13. When you're older than God's wet nurse, the only thing that helps is formaldehyde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And here I thought it was years of Ponds Cold Creme, and years of cum facials from the glory holes?

      Delete
  14. Working out is my me time, so when it comes to skin care, I'm simple and use at most 6 products. Mostly products, all natural, from Aveda. I do love the shower soaps though from Native. They smell wonderful. And yes, you look incredible for your age, and in great shape. The temple looks damn fine boy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. At my age Norma above is right. Formaldehyde works wonders!!!!

    Jokes aside I have used almost my whole life two Estee Lauder products, both moisturizers...and Neutrogena face wash at night. This old bag mostly gets early 70's even though I'm 81. I'll take that. I also stay out of the sun for long periods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun might feel good, but it is also out worst enemy for the skin.

      Delete
  16. "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." —Marilyn Monroe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous7/27/2023

    My skin is a little damaged from the sun and living in the Caribbean for many years however I do look at least 10 years younger than I am. I only use soap and water and witch hazel as I always had oily skin. However I am a sucker for shampoos. I wash hair, comb it and leave to dry and because I have wavey hair, it usually looks good. I let it go grey and it is silver and I get complements quite often. I spent too much money on face stuff that didn’t actually do anything so I have just stopped trying them out. I think I will look for the native body wash as I do like to smell nice, but soap is ok too. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you. Many of the face stuff one gets, works very minimally at best. I think I have found my routine and products and it seem to be working for me. And I'm not one to opt for plastic surgeries or nips and tucks either.

      That Native body wash- I get at Target. The scent of it smells some good. The tangerine and seas salt and cedar are particularly nice.

      Delete
  18. What about cum for the skin? No jokes it is smoothing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I ditched Estée Lauder at the beginning of this year - I'd been using it since the nineties and weirdly I still developed wrinkles.
    I agree with you regarding Witch Hazel, and I also use a Glycerin and Rosewater combo before bed. I allow myself two extravagances - Bobbi Brown Face Base - cos it's just that, a perfect base, and Laura Mercer translucent powder - keeps me from getting too shiny - but other than that Boots no7 is fine!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I good translucent powder is a must I swear! And even the smell of witch hazel is amazing.

      Delete
  20. Oh, my... potions and magic. That's you in a nutshell, child. Eve Arden wants to know all your secrets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. The other day someone I was flirting with snapped a pic of me naked at the prairie - with my permission. I remember I was flush with the fun of flirting and feeling fabulous. They then sent me the pic. I look like a caramel ice cream cone melting. Needless to say... I won't be going back to the prairie any time soon. I think my days in the sun are quite over.

      Delete
    2. Well, I a sun baby too, but I have always limited my time in it for too long of periods. It can be evil....and when it and time catches up with you....look out!!!! I knew someone who looks almost 15 yeas older than their age. Just remember to moisturize big time if sunning too long.

      Delete
  21. Good for you! I haven't a clue what to use or why, so I don't use anything. No wonder I look awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you do!!! You handsome devil. Mostly all one needs is a good cleanser and a moisturizer.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!