Thursday, October 24, 2019

WITCHES


The fair hamlet I live near, New Hope is a small borough town nestled along the Delaware River in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Incorporated in 1932, the town is rich in Revolutionary War history and George Washington led his troops through New Hope in 1778 on the way to Valley Forge. And my own distant family member, Aaron Burr after stabbing Alexander Hamilton, escaped and hid in New Hope for a few weeks. In addition to its historical interest and the town being settled by an artist colony, and later members of the Algonquin Round Table, the other part of the community was into witchcraft and witchery... and  New Hope has long been a hub for paranormal enthusiasts who hope to encounter the town's famous spooks and specters. While most of the witches around here don't let it be known who they are, there is actually a meet up for those who are not afraid to attend. I understand there have been witch covens here for years. It seems to almost go hand in hand with the hauntedness of the town. I comes as no surprise then that the ecclectic town features many New Age, Occult and witchcraft shops the sell all kind of provisions. While I'm not a practicing witch by any means, I do go to many of the local witch shops, to get smug cedar wood to scent the house and "clean it"  and have also been known to get some candles and herbs of wellness. Two guys I know, are witches and have a very nice shop called Mystical Tymes. They have the shop packed with anything you need.
Edward and Eric can tell you what every one of the herbs or minerals does, and can give you a potion for whatever hails you, or something you may need to put a spell on someone.  Next time I go in I want a spell for DC and Trump as part of my world domination !!! It's actually pretty cool to see some witches in there with their list of what they need. And no, I have not seen frogs legs, or hair from warts in there.
Here is their cat Morgana who is aged at 21 years!!!!!! She gauds the white sage smug.
Others times I have gone to the Witch Shop to have palm reading, or my tarots cards read and I also love a candle they have there.
I go here to sometime get my Beltane candle and incense for the festival of the same name. This variety has been  blessed by a high priests of the local coven.
The opening picture of the post is from my friends house in the room where I stay. I do believe our own Mr. DeVice would feel at home here with a selection of brooms to get around on! It's is all just another part of this interesting town in which we live. It seems like this time of year is when I gets more noticed. Especially the witches. But the ghosts and spirits are more easily felt year round. And I'm not joking about the witches either. We even have yield to witch crossings.

25 comments:

  1. I love browsing in shops like this! Love the neon sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And loves the kitty (don't tell Abby!)
    xoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, nope, nope! I don't do the occult. Now, post about bitches and I'm all in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in this case, the aame thing. witch, bitch....hell answer.

      Delete
  4. doesnt surprise me in the least you know about some of this, what with your crystal balls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderfully timely and atmospheric post! New Hope sounds like an extremely intriguing place to live.

    I only know one witch - she lives in California and we've been close friends since childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who needs Salem when you have New Hope? The shops look very interesting. I hear the keep the eye of newt and hair of toad in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweetie, I hate to break it to you, but I don't think a spell will work on Trumplethinskin. Nitwits are impervious to spells.

    Mildred fact: I have witches in my family tree, also. Twenty-four of all the witches who were accused, arrested and stood trial during the Salem witch trials are relatives of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That shop looks like fun, although I don’t think the witches would appreciate that description.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nope, I'm with Deedles, I ain't dabbling in that. I can barely get threw a horror movie. But I have seen the yield to witches sign and wondered what that was about.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I have been in there. They have some incense I love. I have often wondered what out of towners think? And god love Morgana 21 years!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like fun, there are a couple of things I have been looking for. (Gifts for friends)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to come and visit the fantastic shops. I could waste many an hour in them.

    I live not far from pendle hill in Lancashire. Look it up if you're interested. It's all very spooky......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did just that. I would most likely love that town. I love the vibes places like this give off. I will have to dig in and read more. Yes, I think you'd love the area here.

      Delete
  13. I have a bad head cold and read to post title as Bitches.
    But witches will do, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the biggest Witch/Bitch of them all - Mistress Maddie!!!

    Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Gin Blossom! I have the feeling there may be copious amount of gin tonight.

      Delete
  15. Now those are well-appointed and stocked shops. You've mentioned you are surprised the town has not been used in any books or films. "A Discovery of Witches" does. :-)

    Hope you have a really wonderful birthday! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Whk for the wishes!!! I will have to look that up.

      Delete
  16. You can’t stop tempting me with a road trip, right?
    This looks like seven tons of fun the neon sign alone and the well stocked shop would make me wanna go!
    The kitty’s name being Morgana is just the icing on the cake.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tempt you alright!!!!!!!

      And Morgana is amazing!!!!

      Delete
  17. Oh I would love your town. I too lobe the Beltrane candle and dust. I smells so good. And you smudge your home? I have never done that. What do you use cedar wood or sage?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time you write about New Hope, I keep thinking to myself "Why doesn't someone make a TV show about this place?" I find this town fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It seems like everyone wants to be a witch these days. Indeed I'm going as one (my first time!) to work this week.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!