Sunday, November 19, 2017

BOWMAN'S HILL

Bucks County boasts many scenic spots, but there’s only one place to get an above-the-trees, bird’s-eye view of the surrounding countryside and Delaware River. Rising 183 feet in the air atop Bowman’s Hill and offering a 14-mile view on a clear day, Bowman’s Hill Tower is a favorite stop, and before the weather turned rainy yesterday, I decided to go finally to see it. I've been before, but never ventured to the top. I said to the top, not a top!!!
One of the biggest misconceptions about the Tower is that it existed during General George Washington’s day. In reality, it was built of local field stone in 1929-31 to commemorate what was probably the lookout point for Washington’s troops to watch for enemy activity on the Delaware River. Bowman's Hill is part of the Washington Crossing Park, which I did post on here and here.

Construction of the Tower took nearly two years to complete. More than 2,400 tons of materials were used, including perches of native stone from the hill and nearby stone fences, cut stone from local quarries, 517 tons of sand and 225 tons of cement. Workers excavated 15-feet deep so that the 24–foot-squared base would rest on a bedrock foundation.  Soon after the tower’s construction, workers planted 28,300 seedlings in the area to reforest the hill like people thought it would have been in Washington’s time. Some of those seedlings have become today’s towering trees on Bowman’s Hill. Due to the Tower’s height, lightning strikes were an ongoing problem. To improve safety and eliminate damage to the Tower, the National Lightning Protection Company of St. Louis, installed a protection system on the building. 

 There is an elevator that takes visitors three-quarters of the way to the top, bypassing the complete spiral staircase, although it's not currently working, so yours truly climbed the whole thing.... the last 23 steps become a extremely narrow spiral staircase to reach the outside observation deck. 
The more narrow staircase......
But it was all worth it.....I felt just like Rapunzel.

Looking toward Philly.....
Looking toward Yardley....
Looking toward New Hope and Lambertville
This shot would be looking directly East toward Nj, where Washington crossed the Delaware. There is a flag in the middle of the picture slightly off to the left.
Has Trump read the last part?!?!?

After leaving the tower, might I add, very steep drive down the road with no rails.... with the rainy mist and chill, I decide to visit the Bowman's Tavern for some fuel and pints.

Even ran into the lovely town grande dame of the transgender community and rights, Elizabeth, in one of her eye-popping day looks. She is always dressed to the t and is a true lady....had some lovely conversation.

Is it any wonder I love this area so much?
💋

30 comments:

  1. Since moving here there seems to be no limit of things to see and do.The grounds are attractive and the Delaware River where Washington crossed, is awesome! History abounds in this community. And that burger looks mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THOSES VIEWS!!!!Now that looks like a great day! Your pictures are amazing!!! They really capture the feel there. Take that as a compliment from me. Bucks County never ceases to amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Has Trump read the last part?!?!?" - nope, cause he CAN'T READ!

    never heard of this place. the food looks dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm smacking myself for not going sooner when we moved here. William and I had been past this a million times on the way to New Hope, and have been to Bowman's Tavern many a time for the piano cabaret. We finally went two autumns ago. If I remember well, the ride up to the tower was kinda of scary... but it was worth it. I got a little winded and dizzy, in the narrow staircase, but if you take your time and look out the windows you see gorgeous views. Finally make it to the top, and was well rewarded. You can see for miles!

    Your pictures are more breathtaking than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, those stairs!!! I remember some in England like that. eeek. Views are loverly and glad you made the trip for all of us to enjoy. Lunch looked fun too - good company and good food. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to plan a trip up there soon. I'm in the process. What breathtaking pictures and views. No doubt a lot of steps, but well worth the reward as seen by your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that must be the biggest thing you'd topped lately?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful photographs, Maddie, the views are spectacular.

    You still have nice colour in your neck of the woods; our branches are completely naked. Speaking of which, the tower looks to be a fascinating location for a photo session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that. I thought... I bet Tomass could do a very creative breathtaking, if not compromising photo shoot here.

      Thank you for the compliment.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps a knight, kneeling before "Rapunzel's" big... hair?

      Delete
    3. I like the way you think....I'll book it now....

      Delete
  9. WOW! Beautiful! I always enjoy your weekend outings. I love that the place and surrounding area in so rich in US history....quite amazing to think of what went on there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that is our kind of day on the weekend. Oh what views. A gem not to be missed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So very pretty, Maddie. Like I said before, jigsaw puzzle worthy.
    Trump hasn't read this. There's no pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks like a perfect day out! And those claustrophobic spiral stairs are just like the ones near the top of Cromer Church tower. Well worth the climb to the top for those magnificent views of the turning (turned?) trees in Bucks County.

    ReplyDelete
  13. With all the walking you do, no wonder your legs and ass are in good shape. I will have to go see this treasure soon. I have yet see Washington's Crossing Park either. I love all the historical things you know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning vistas, especially with the fall colors coming to a end on the trees. Love these area posts of yours. But do you ever rest?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect time of year to visit the Tower. The photos are magnificent!!!
    (and that food looks great!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A great place to see the lands.... A neat tower that gives a person a perspective of the events surrounding George Washington crossing the Delaware. I miss this area of the US more than any other. Elizabeth is downright elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic Views and great exercise to keep them trim butt of your in shape. I love things like this. Always nice to get outdoors too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The charming tower, beautiful tress and sound of the birds and nature all around must and did make this a worth while trip Mistress. Love nature and looks relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those views are to die for, and I'm sure climbing that staircase would do that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a tower! The views of the Pennsylvania countryside, New Jersey and the winding Delaware river are wonderful. I have to really get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great historical sight and monument. I would love to see this, but did you say how many steps up????? I also fear my big ass would get wedged in the narrow spiral staircase. I could bring Crisco!!!! Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Spectacular Views....I'd say worth the trek up to the tippy top! It's breathtaking this time of year for the foliage in the east. I only worry if I'd get claustrophobic in the narrow staircase?

    ReplyDelete
  23. No, it is no wonder you love the area so much. And I had no idea what an exceptional place it is to live. Thanks for opening my eyes. The tower is beautiful. Hard to believe it's less than 100 years old. As for Trump "reading" anything, don't make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A bit of a climb to the top of that, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sadly, the M.D. prevents me from activities such as climbing to the top of a tower. But, I could certainly do lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks so much older that 100 years old. Hard to believe it's relatively new-er. The views are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Those photos are sooo dreamy. They literally leave me breathless. And the last one opens up my appetite, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!