Thursday, June 13, 2019

COVER OF A MAGAZINE

This month being gay pride month, New York Magazine has done 37 covers featuring drag queens!!!! On the covers of NYmag: How drag became America's new national pastime! "Oh, hennnnnny: America loves its drag queens. Moms do, kids do, your local gay bars do. Even McDonald’s does apparently. From the cast of the blockbuster remake of A Star Is Born to the pink carpet at the Met Gala — not to mention the millions around the world who’ve tuned in to Rupauls Dragrace for the last decade — what was once a glittery subculture on the edge of gay culture has become one of our global pop preoccupations with its own hierarchy of stars and story lines for the fans to get behind, marketing deals and Billboard chart-toppers. It’s become a very big business with its own star-power machinery attached. It’s become almost unavoidable. Their job is to make sure of it. The only downside to this though, I wish they would have featured some other queens not associated with the show too. From Lady Bunny, Hedda Lettuce, Varla Jean, Peaches Christ, Heklina, Miss Richfield1981, Coco Peru and many others, got their start, and created a national brand and popularity all on their own and ended up huge. But none the less, stunning covers ...it's almost like baseball cards. One might want to collect them all.

Yvie Oddly
Aquaria
Blair St Clair
Kasha Davis
Latrice Royale
 
Madame La Queer
 
Acid Betty
 
Alyssa Edwards
 
Coco Montrese
 
Ariel Versace
 
Tammie Brown
 
Ginger Minj
 
Alaska Thunderfuck
  
Detox
 
Nina West
 
Trixie Mattel
 
Peppermint
 
Pandora Boxx
 
Brooklyn Hytes
  
Raja O Hara
  
Tempest Du Jour
 
Darienne Lake
Stacey Layne Matthews


32 comments:

  1. LOve the one with Peppermint. Retro, baby!

    Days away and no time to catch up. More tests today...ugh! But wanted to stop by and wish you a happy Thursday. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NO LADY BUNNY????? BLASPHEMY!

    where is YOUR cover? and pearly gates' cover?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cover of PlayQueen and Hustler was all booked up.

      Delete
  3. For some reason, Detox made me laugh out loud. There's kind of a been-there-done-that vibe there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Detox'x picture is one that mesmerizes me the most.

      Delete
  4. I second Anne Marie.
    Detox looks a lot like Sarah Jessica Parker. Am I hallucinating, again?
    I seem to be drawn to the curvier girls (I wonder why, heh). They all seem to have a good sense of fun. If I had to go through the process to get that fabulous, I'd be cranky as hell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gurl, if you were a queen, you'd sooooooo be Latrice Royale!!! And I'm sure with your dรฉcolletage, you could pull off huge jewels!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Well, I did have a saleslady tell me that I could pull off huge earrings because I have a big head. I don't think I can parlay that into a drag career though.

      Delete
  5. Your right....people are obsessed with drag now. Even straight guys I know cant wait to go to drag shows. These are amazing.

    Detox looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my. They all look so glamorous. Fashion is a mystery to me. I always look like I've got dressed in the dark. I must try harder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt your observation is true. You look quite charming to me.

      Delete
  7. Lota and lots and lots of talent!!!
    xoxoxoxox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ultra fabulous cover girls!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loves it. I’d buy about three of those: Adore, Nina and Detox.
    Just because ๐Ÿ˜†

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great covers, but I agree with others....where are the legendary queens who carved out there own careers? These are all quite stunning though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Brooklyn Hites nails it... but then I've always been a fan of red.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I may steal all of these just because they're so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous6/13/2019

    I remember seeing Latrice on RuPaul's Drag Race and really liked her. Beautiful photo of her. The only cover that was not great to be was Nina with all of the lettering. Distracted from her overall look. But stunning covers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Latrice always looks happy and radiant.

      Delete
  14. I living for Acid Betty in this. A much lighter cheerful Betty. It's nice to see some of the lesser viewed queens too, like Madame LaQueer. I need these.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Want every single cover, framed and together on a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike. I was thinking the same thing. Would be lovely in a powder room.

      Delete
  16. STUNNING!!!!!! Detox looks like she should be on a soap playing the matriarch of a wealthy but troubled family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can't you hear it now? How many little gayling boys are saying "Momma, can I please have this magazine?"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a huge step for so many queens to be on a cover! All stunning, but would have liked to have seen some other queens on the cover too , your right. Drag is beyond just the show.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need to go out and get my favorite covers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! I picture them all framed and displayed on one wall. For some reason, however, it's got me singing "Rolling Stone... Wanna see my picture on the cover. Wanna buy five copies for my mother."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aquaria looks amazing. Yes....drag is busting out all over. I'm going to a Mayhem Miller party tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing!!!!! Times are a changing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Aquaria's look on her cover. That Cybermanesque bodysuit topped off with a Sean-Young-in-Blade-Runner hairdo, and colour matched jacket. A Sci-Fi Queen you wouldn't want to cross!
    What a fantastic selection!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Drag Con, where this stemmed out of was, such an honor to do, not to mention get drag even further out there. Thank -you and all for continued support for the drag community and myself.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!