Friday, November 16, 2018

AT CITY HALL


Last weekend when my friend was visiting and we were spending the day just wondering around Philly, it's a pretty good bet that I will end up at City Hall. To me it's like Philadelphia's crown jewel, a elegant symbol for the city, and one  of my favorite buildings in Philly. Every time I'm down in the city, and admire the building, I always find some small detail, I didn't see before. Always a new surprise. And the architecture is quite amazing.

City Hall is the seat of government for the city here in Philadelphia. The building was constructed from 1871 to 1901 within Penn Square, in the middle of Center City. John McArthur Jr. and Thomas Ustick Walter designed the building in the Second Empire style. City Hall is a  massive masonry building whose weight is borne by granite and brick walls up to 22 ft  thick. The principal exterior materials are limestone, granite, and marble.At 548 ft, including the statue of city founder William Penn atop its tower, City Hall was the tallest habitable building in the world from 1894 to 1908. It remained the tallest in Pennsylvania until it was surpassed in 1932 by the Gulf Tower in Pittsburgh. It was the tallest in Philadelphia until 1986 when the construction of One Liberty Place surpassed it, ending the informal gentlemen's agreement that had limited the height of buildings in the city to no higher than the Penn statue.
The tower features a clock face on each side that is 26 ft  in diameter. The clock faces are larger in diameter than those on Big Ben. I always loved the glow of the clock faces in town at night.
and some of those small details....
Of course with yesterday's nose dive in temps, and a sheet of ice and sleet, this is a scene you would have not scene. What a difference a week makes! This weekend it's  to be  warmer and glorious again here in the southeast. Mature Nature is a peculiar one.

26 comments:

  1. The architecture is amazing, isn't it? Though I like the sleek lines of modern from Frank Lloyd Wright - forward to today's steel and glass, I am always intrigued by the detailed work of past masters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you love what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous; and you can't see it all at once, so you just keep looking. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the great history lesson and tour. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUR CITY IS THE BEST! HELLZ YEAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to Philadelphia. Your photos are wonderful, they make me want to get on an aeroplane immediately.
    How uplifting, to be surrounded by such architecture.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that the building Ben Franklin pees off when it rains?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank God for the Philadelphia and Bucks county area......some of the best scenes in the state. Your picture are amazing...great close ups.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post Mistress. I too have to agree, that building is quite impressive. It's one of William's favorite ones too. There isn't a bad or uninteresting angle on it anywhere. We often in the summer will go down and just sit in Dilworth Plaza and people watch. That is the extent of our cutting loose I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've long thought Philadelphia has one of the most impressive city hall buildings around. You got some amazing shots

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember the building being used along with Wanamaker's, in the movie, Seven Monkeys. I will never forget Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt filming it. I just sat and stared during filming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous building outside, and every time I come threw Philly, I regret I didn't make it inside. The grounds are kept beautiful and I love the water falls. This building is beautiful at night and romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, how we do love a massive clock! Jx

    PS both the clock on the Shell Mex Building (on the Thames, next to The Savoy) and the Royal Liver Building clock in Liverpool are bigger than the clocks on the Elizabeth Tower (commonly referred to as "Big Ben", which is actually the name of the bell)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Oh, how we do love a massive clock"....and a large pendulum singing right in front of our faces.....

      Delete
    2. Wait for it to point straight upward, and get ready for twelve powerful clangs. Jx

      Delete
    3. Is it weird that you two have made me a little moist? Balder Half sends his everlasting gratitude!

      Delete
    4. Well you know how us gays are …..spreading love and joy to all. I assume you'll have a extra umph in your step tomorrow now?

      Delete
    5. More like a limp and a bruised hip. Hey, you take what you can get!

      Delete
  14. But did you get our marriage license while you were there? ;p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you following me? You have a sixth sense, I swear.

      Delete
  15. This building is fabulous, and looks just wonderful to walk or drive around. I am into architecture, so I have to admit that I love looking at buildings, but this one is definitely worth seeing when I Philadelphia. I miss that city.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm always in awe of those buildings. With our earthquakes here, we could never have those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Philadelphia is such a cool, interesting city. Only been twice for conferences so I have never had time to explore it well, though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a spectacular building! A work of art! It's like Neoclassical meets Baroque! It's stunning and majestic!

    Thanks for the fabulous fotos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a grand and beautiful building, plaza, and cut. Sorry about the sheet of ce, but I’ll bet you could get some really great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I was in Philly last, besides explore the casa, I enjoyed Philly. Historical Landmark in the heart of Philadelphia for sure. The architecture is absolutely amazing. Our cities here are nice but lack the character as the northeast. There is a feeling there who have to experience.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!