Monday, October 14, 2013

April Ashley: Britian's First Trans Woman

 
April Ashley: Portrait Of A Lady' explored the life Of Britain's First Transgender Icon , a wonderful exhibit across the pond last month, one that I would have loved to have seen. I do hope they decided to travel it around. She was quite the character and really made some GLBT history.


She bewitched Salvador Dali, Pablo Picasso, Elvis Presley and INXS front man Michael Hutchence. And at the age of 78, and she still looks regal and pretty incredible, April Ashley still has the power to stop men in their tracks. But the first Briton to have full sex-change surgery admits to an unusual crush. She always fancied Labour’s ex-deputy Prime Minister, her old friend John Prescott. They worked together in the 1950s, He was a commis chef and  April  was in charge of the bar and restaurant. Over the years April and John, now Lord Prescott, have kept in touch. But they had not seen each other for many years before he opened an exhibition of photos covering her extraordinary life. April says' “I am so touched that John came to open the exhibition,” she says. Speaking of the incident when her old pal thumped an egg-throwing protester, she reveals: “I was dying to tell him that if someone threw an egg at me I would have decked them too. But I’d have done it with my handbag!”


April’s still-elegant appearance in her late 70s gives no clue to the struggles of her early life when she was born as George Jamieson in the slums of Liverpool. April goes on to say in an interview “It was a tough life at the beginning, very tough indeed,” she says. “I couldn’t tell anyone I felt I should have been born a girl. “My mother wouldn’t speak to me. When I would go shopping with her, people would say to her ‘What is it?’ My brothers and sisters wouldn’t speak to me. “I was brought up a strict Roman Catholic so I would talk to God all the time and beg to wake up as a girl.” At 14. George ran away to join the Merchant Navy, trying to prove his masculinity. But what followed were years of soul-searching, suicide bids, and even electric shock treatment in a mental hospital. At 20, after working in a Welsh hotel with John Prescott, she moved to Paris– and became April. She was the compere of a drag club, Le Carrousel, and won the attention of famous men. Artists Salvador Dali and Pablo Picasso wanted her as their muse, and Elvis Presley bought her champagne every time he saw her.
 
 
Then in 1960 another star of Le Carrousel went to Casablanca to have sex-change surgery. At 25, April realised that her dream of becoming a woman could come true. The surgeon was Dr Georges Burou, the French gynaecologist who invented gender reassignment surgery. After saving up the £3,000 she needed – equivalent to £60,000 today – April went to Casablanca too. Dr Burou  had asked her ‘How come a beautiful girl like you wants to be a boy?’ So she put her passport in front of him and he couldn’t believe it. He told her to come in that night and they would do the operation the next day. No nonsense, no psychiatrists. Despite the risks of the seven-hour operation she was not scared as she wanted to live her life as a woman. April was also one of Dr Burou’s guinea pigs. He was quite plain about that.  April had to sign forms in case she died, and she almost did.
 
 

After recuperating in Casablanca, she moved to London. It was the Swinging 60s and she was was quick to embrace it, where she says it was a very promiscuous time. Her past unknown, April became Vogue’s most popular underwear model, and rose threw the modeling ranks, and beat 400 other girls to win a role alongside Bing Crosby and Bob Hope in their film, The Road to Hong Kong. But in 1961 a friend told the world her secret.She would have had a good career had it all not come out. April didn’t get much work after that as nobody would employ her.


At 50 she moved to America and took jobs as a waitress or a hostess. But when her past caught up the jobs disappeared. April has been married twice and says that on a trip to Australia in 1982 she was seduced by Michael Hutchence of INXS. “He came in to my hotel with his entourage an asked if I would like to go to his room for a bottle of champagne. "So I went up and he was the most beautiful man, so elegant. We had a lovely night together.”


Her private life was a mixture of glamour and strife -- she was a partner in a restaurant business and she claimed to have had dalliances with Omar Shariff and Grayson Perry. At the same time she worked as a hostess here and a waitress there without much financial security. Nevertheless, she remained an oft-watched celebrity, breaking taboos along the way until she was awarded a MBE (Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire), a coveted honor bestowed upon her for her advocacy work in LGBT rights with the UK-based group, Homotopia.It was not until the Gender Recognition Act became law in 2005 that she was legally recognised as female and given a new birth certificate. And in September 2013 she was back in her home town for the opening of her exhibition.For someone with such a remarkable history she is refreshingly modest. As she was quoted saying...“I was always astonished that wherever I went people wanted to meet me,” she says. “I would always be in a quiet corner at parties then after a few drinks people would be queueing up.


“Still, it hasn’t been an easy life. You have to be resilient. You can’t let people crush you.”
 
Great Advice

22 comments:

  1. Anonymous10/14/2013

    She's definitely aged well. I hope to do the same if I make it that far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The incredible life story of a great and beautiful lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an extraodinary woman! so beautiful; reminds me of audrey hepburn. elvis, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! A true transgender pioneer and role model. Goes to prove Mother Nature doesn't always get it right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only eight had done it before her; that degree of willingness to blindly accept such high risk of serious health detriment speaks volumes about how excruciatingly intolerable her pre-transition life had become. Of and for her I stand in praise, awe, respect, admiration, amazement and gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simply beautiful... and, so courageous at a time in history when being different especially transgender was taboo. A perfect example of living a life true to ones self

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is more woman than a lot of women I know! And what a history with the men!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a very striking woman throughout all her life, even at the age of 71 (2006 photo), she retains much of the qualities that made her a successful model.
    That she has done so much for LGBT and particularly for transgendered just makes her all the more remarkable for her strength and passion as well

    ReplyDelete
  9. God bless her, what changes she saw in her life. Things still aren't right, though, because despite gains LGBTQ people have made in society, gender identity or presentation is a protected class in very few societies, which just isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talkabout courage and bravery. Basically taking on the whole world

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous10/15/2013

    She was so beautiful and is such a grande dame now, I read an interview with her a few weeks ago, what an amazing life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe how well she has aged!

      Delete
  12. What a great bit of history and a fabulous story. I'd never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if the chapter in her book dedicated to her time in Paris is called "April in Paris?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. And the closing quote by her is a good one for the whole community, not as for the trans community. A hero.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow. When I first saw her, I thought she was a old movie star! What a colorful life.....and pupose! Great role model.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll have to show this to my friend who is male to female. Great post. She would agree....she didn't feel right till the male junk was gone!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Truly remarkable. She has aged beautifully. I should be so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss April, she was my roommate, my friend, my mother and my sister all in one. We have some great memories that will remain with me forever. She is very extraordinary. I wonder if she still has a vodka and Squirt every night before bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A message from Joe!
      Hello candiesmom. I hope you're well. My name's Joe and I work for a BAFTA-winning documentary production company called Swan Films in London. We are currently creating a new celebratory documentary for broadcast on Channel 4 about the life and legacy of April Ashley after her passing at the end of last year. As part of our research, we are trying to engage with as many people as possible who knew and remember April. I would love to speak to you on the phone about your memories of April if you have a spare moment. If you're interested, do email me on joef@swanfilms.tv and we can find a time to chat so I can tell you more.

      Thanks!

      Joe

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!