Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Latest Obsession




One of my latest obsessions lately and it's not a fine liqueur mind ya, is the band Bitter:Sweet. I can not get enough of their music. Now I like all kinds of music, but I really enjoy groove and lounge . And jazz. It seems Bitter:Sweet molds all three of them together, and beautifully done. I have gone on a frenzy downloading their ditties on I-tunes. And Shana's vocals are intoxicating to me. Exciting and yet calming. Here's the low down. Bitter:Sweet is an electronic/trip-hop duo with groove and jazz-like qualities from Los Angeles. The band is composed of Shana Halligan, who provides vocals, lyrics, and composes the songs, and Kiran Shahani, who produces and also composes the songs.


Bitter:Sweet's trademark sound is an intoxicating blend of Shana Halligan's melodically sweet-and-sexy vocals paired with the duos sassy genre-bending production work. Signed to Chris Blackwell’s Palm Pictures, the band sold over a quarter million records worldwide. Shana is, of course, no stranger to the music industry. She has been a respected part of the Los Angeles music scene her whole life and grew-up in a household with father, Dick Halligan (Blood, Sweat & Tears). Together, Kiran and Shana have created Bitter:Sweet, one of the most seductive interpretations of retro swank and hot beats since James Bond was Sean Connery. Many of the hottest television shows and movies have used Bitter:Sweet’s music, including Samantha Who, Grey’s Anatomy, Nip/Tuck, Entourage, Desperate Housewives, and the movie, The Devil Wears Prada. It’s no mystery as to why their music is so sought after – one listen and you’re hooked. Over the past year, the band has received countless notable accolades. They were awarded the Best Rock/Pop Album of 2008 at the Independent Music Awards. They are consistently ranked on top 20 of iTunes Electronic albums chart and in Billboard’s Top 50 Electronic albums chart. And, in their hometown, The Los Angeles Times pegged Bitter:Sweet as one of the top 10 Buzz Bands of 2006. And here is two of my favorite songs by this very talented band! Would love to hear your thoughts.



12 comments:

  1. Very cool! Thank you foe this post... I wish I had discovered them. You are just too chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting sound, very James Bond reminiscent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! They're fun! Thanks for the intro :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to high school with Shana Halligan. I think their music is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mistress Maddie #1 Fan2/06/2010

    I love the sound they have. Never heard of them before but you can bet I'm going to get some of their stuff now. And your right about her vocals, very cool sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coco de Mere2/06/2010

    Love this group! Bump in Philly plays lots of their music. Of course, they aren't getting the exposure they should be getting. Great music for some cockatails.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fluffycat- So nice to hear from you! And how cool you went to school with her!!! I just love their music, I can't get enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome group! And the perfect music to get it on too! Dirty Lanudry is my favorite by them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see why you would like them. What a chic sound, just perfect for that Mistress cocktail party! I will have to look them up dear,

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool- thanks for the *new* music

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love their music!!! I have been you tubing them now for a while listening-thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2/08/2012

    I just stumbled on to your blog.. Thank you so much for spreading our music around!! This is Shana Halligan from B:S. I just released a new solo EP on itunes called Paper Butterfly to wet the palate before a full album is released this Spring! Check it out if you feel inclined. :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!