Friday, July 3, 2009

A City by the Sea



They look like giant lily pads don't they? The Mistress is always perusing the Internet as she is a curious creature and came upon these, and apparently the ultimate solution to rapidly rising sea levels.This computer-generated photo shows two of the "lily pad" cities, each able to hold 50,000 inhabitants. These could be used as a permanent refuge for those whose homes have been covered in water, and if this rain keeps up we may need them-quick! Major cities like London, New York and Tokyo are at risk from oceans which could rise as much as 5ft by the end of this century. These "lily pad"cities would free float around the world.




A lake at the center of the city would collect rain water and purify it, and it would be accessed by separate marinas and feature artificial mountains to offer the inhabitants a change of scenery from the seascape. Power is supplied by solar panels and wind turbines, and a power station to harness the energy of the waves. The cities would also actually produce much more energy than it consumes and a entirely zero-emission, as all the carbon dioxide and the waste will be recycled. The city will not have roads or cars, and the city is covered by plants housed in suspended gardens. Neither the cost of building the city or the cost of living there have been revealed. Now since the Mistress is a curious creature, I'm wondering what would happen if there is a hurricane at sea like a category 5 or 6? Would the cities have much damage to them? And what would happen if the haul of the city under the water got a leak? Would the lily pad city sink like the lost city of Atlantis? How would everyone get off the thing so quick? And would there be stores for shopping or would you have to go to the main land for certain provisions? Would there be a Miss Gay Floating Cities Pageant? Whats your opinion on the cities of the future, I'm just curious.

7 comments:

  1. I'd just worry about the giant frog who would hop onto them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first i thought it was a scene from an upcoming SciFi film, where the aliens come to visit in lily pad ships.

    The'ye kinda cool, although i don't know if I want to live in a city that floats around the world. Would I have to keep changing my address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It should have a roller coaster running along the edges!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It reminds me of those huge developments in Dubai that seem utterly surreal to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought that WAS a giant roller coaster along the edge!!!

    this strikes me as strange....cool idea..YAY for the coold idea, but I don't think I'd want to live on this lily-pad sucker. I can't swim that far, if the sucker should sink.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd have moved there if Sarah Palin had been one heartbeat away from McPresident.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!