Tuesday, February 20, 2024

A SWAN SONG

Anyone in the know who knows me , will tell you I watch very few American TV shows.  But this season kids, I have been watching the fabulous arrived. Ryan Murphy's offering Feud: Truman Capote vs The Swans. It has been fresh too and one can tell he is more energized in this project, compared to the pass its expiration date, American Horror Story. The last two seasons were weak and finding his seasoned cast, bailing. I didn't even watch last season. Now girls, this show is stylish, highly entertaining and featuring every actor in a near pitch perfect performance. Even the music and opening credits of the show are very artistly done. But as a queen, and a purist, I will have some carping to do.

It's safe to say that many familiar with the legacy of Truman Capote- the man at the center of the show- though the masses are perhaps more acquainted with the Breakfast at Tiffanys writer's status as a literary giant then the actual dramas of his life. The second season arrives seven years after the first season, and gives a voice to each of the wealthy female archetypes... Each nailing their part with superb acting, the mannerisms and the look of each swan down.

Naomi Watts as Babe Paley

Nice to see Demi Moore back in acting. I have always enjoyed her. She is portraying Ann Woodward. 

The fabulous Chole Sevigny, who has never looked better as CZ Guest.

I was worried about Calista Flockhart, never been a huge fan...but she has nailed playing Lee Radziwell.And I dare say shed finally her Ally McBeal part.

The always lovely Diane Lane playing Slim Keith.

And everyone's perennial favorite Molly Ringwald playing Joanne Carson

And Tom Hollander is very unnervingly accurate in looks, mannerisms, sound and looks as Truman!!! Everyone is spot on in their roles, particularly Naomi Watts. And this is Demi Moore's best acting since 1996's If These Walls Could Talk. Even Joe Mantello's Jack Dunphy and the sexy Russel Tovey's John O'Shea are standouts. Tovey is important in illustrating the dangers of associating with a closet case, something I think the Swans here caught on to. As for Tom Hollander, he caught both sides of Capote- the brilliant, the cruiser, and the despicable. The show has been going along swimmingly too till last week. Now the carping. Having read 3 of Capote's books on the Swans... just where is Gloria Vanderbilt, Gloria Guinness and Baroness Pauline de Rothschild??? And Slim and Bill Paley having an affair??? They didn't, and I have no idea why an otherwise respectable writer like Jon Baitz would cook up something like this unless ordered to by Ryan Murphy. Truman also never lasted a week in a clinic he was sent to, and the highly romanticized reunion of Truman and Babe? What the hell? Sure it was gorgeously staged. But I'm here to tell you it never happened. When babe Paley cut Truman off, she and Slim never talked to Truman again the rest of their lives. If Ryan doesn't stay to facts and is heading into some kind of alternate reality he is going to lose the audience with this show. Otherwise, this show has been so well done, with sets, fashion and acting and let's be honest...it's been great to see the adored Jessica Lange again, as the passed-on spirit of Truman's mother.

And contrary to rumors that I once slept with Capote is nonsense!!! First off, I wasn't old enough, I was just bore and second, I would not tolerate his bitchiness, and two bitches under one roof just does not work.

Anyone else watching this epic?

38 comments:

  1. Anonymous2/20/2024

    Capote once said in an interview that he did everything with women but fuck them.
    Côte Basque was either a book or chapter in a book where he trashed the swans. Capote mentioned one of them as claiming to be a princess and he said she was no princess but a bitch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes your correct. It was a chapter, and the Cote Basque was the restaurant where he and the Swans often gathered. I don't think I could have been friends with him. I'd end up in jail for slapping the bitch silly. I'm old school. I'll slap the shit out of you, then ask questions.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous2/20/2024

      I wouldn't put up with Capote either.
      Capote once gave an interview in a drunken state on the Stanley Siegel show back in the day, pretty sad. I have heard he had selfish parents growing up and was raised by other relatives. ):
      The famous and well to do live in another world. :-)

      Delete
    3. "The famous and well to do live in another world" Aren't they always? LOL And I believe that about his parents, at least they are leaning that way with Truman's interactions with his deceased mother.

      Delete
  2. Haven't heard of this show, but sounds like my kinda thing. I recognize some of these names and the scandals attached to those names, so going to tune in and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only watched it for Tovey. He was worth it. Oh, and the show is based on a book that fictionalized the facts, evidently quite a bit at times to create drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so sexy in this too. I would have no problem granting his wishes in a sanua....

      Delete
  4. hope all is well, up there across the Mason Dixon Line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last I looked everyone below the Mason Dixon line was up, full and looking good.

      OH... you meant the actual Mason Dixon line?!?! All good up here dear...just cold.

      Delete
  5. I agree, Murphy is giving up on American Horror Story years ago. But this show he has nailed. Tom Hollander is on unnervingly accurate as Truman Capote. I've been enjoying this show because let's face it, we know I love fashion, and the cast has been stellar. I've been enjoying this as I recognize a lot of these women's names from the papers back in the day. And I'm a huge Naomi Watts fan, as well as Jessica Lange. I dare say ithe casting has been better this season and the one he did with Joan and Betty. I never bought Susan Sarandon as Betty Davis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...I didn't really get Betty from her at all, and I even questioned, as much as I like Jessica Lange, playing Joan. While better than Sarandon, but let's face it...Dunaway really nailed Crawford more than anyone.

      Delete
  6. We watched it and loved it. I also wanted more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Year ago I was at Studio One and about as loaded as I could get and still stand upright, In walked Truman and his entourage and on a dare I walked up to him in all my slim and trim shirtless youth and asked him to dance. And he did for a few moments. Then suddenly just turned and walked away. I think I shouted after him saying something like "You Bitch!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See I knew you were full of stories!!!! OMG, that is a good one too. Thank heavens you didn't have to give him a hand job...you got off easy calling him a bitch!!!!! Thanks for the chuckle today dear.

      Delete
  8. 6 of the most iconic actresses in one show?!? I have been enjoying it not knowing the full story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ryan Murphy literally said, "Oh, I am going to give the 'gays' everything they want and more!" It's messy, classy, scandalous, and the tea is getting SERVED!!!!!!! I was so hyped for this show! But it's Anne Woodward a felt sorry for. Had I been friends with that bunch and Capote, I too would have killed myself. Let's face it...what he did was the hair that back Woodward's back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE IT!!!!! Filled with great quotes too. "too much perfume for a woman with her face" Im so stealing that 😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how Tom Hollander is nailing the impressions of Capote like Phillip Seymour Hoffman did in that movie years ago, I hope he wins an Emmy for this performance. And the whole show is beautiful eye candy from fashion, locations and sets...something absent lately on tv.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree, Murphy needs to spread his wings. AHS was a joke this season...terrible. But this has been delicious fun. And your right as long as he follows history it should stay good. Your right Babe never did make up with him. The only two were C.Z Guest, who remained friends with Truman Capote until his death since he didn’t mention her in the esquire article and Lee Radzwill also remained his friend after the chapters were released but years later ended the friendship when her burned her yet again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too have been loving this. I don't know why any of them would have trusted Capote...with anything. He was nothing more than a blood sucking leech. All the women look amazing, and adore seeing Demi back in something.

    Also the last thing Treat Williams did before his death.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had to check out Russell Tovey as the name was vaguely familiar and discovered I hadn't got a clue why I knew his name. He apparently played the led part in a film about Moomintroll - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moomins - if you don't know Moomintroll your childhood was blighted.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't heard of it. We all know you don't kiss and tell, but your fictional bio would be a best seller.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I watched Season 1 of Feud and enjoyed it well enough. Season 2 with Truman Capote and the Swans hasn't made it to Disney+ yet (where Hulu is streamed in Canada) but I've got it on my watch list for when it does show up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I caught the first episode and then lost track of it. But I thought that first one was pretty good. It sounds as if I need to go back to it and catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't watched yet, but I might now that you've given us this review of it! It sounds fascinating and I love so many of those actors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't seen the Series but Capote's Life is far more interesting IMO than anything he ever Wrote. I'm not certain his Bitchiness side didn't add to the Appeal of the Socialite Bitches he endeared himself to? I had heard that with Ordinary folks, he was a very likeable person, the duality of personality leads me to Believe he was what he needed to be depending upon his Audience?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're correct Dawn. I think he did Pander to whatever audience he had in front of them.

      Delete
  20. I haven't watched network TV shows in years. I might have to check this one out if it's got Diane Lane.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I started watching this because of Truman Capote's writing. I haven't continued the series, but I will now that I have YOUR information on "The Swans". Sweetpea, my first reaction when I saw the trailer for the show was that these women didn't understand or ignored that TC was a fucking writer, and as you said, "a silly bitch." p.s. I was also surprised by Calista Flockhart! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savvy I couldn't agree more. I think Calista has surprised me more than any of them. After being such a huge breakout hit on Ally McBeal, I think she had gotten typed cast into those silly quirky rolls. So it's been refreshing seeing her play a semi bitchy snob.

      Delete
  22. Anonymous2/21/2024

    Tru était un gars étrange, comme certains écrivains et artistes, brillants mais excentriques. Lui et ses cygnes jouaient les uns contre les autres, tout comme les 'règles du jeu' auxquelles s'appliquent les riches, que ce soit en Amérique ou en France.
    -Beau Mec à Deauville

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Je pense que vous avez raison. Il était étrange, et j’ai l’impression qu’il était malveillant juste pour le plaisir. J’espère que tu vas beau gars !

      Delete
  23. I like to find the dvds of swans and watch them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMG
    I love your Tea more than the series! I watched the first episode and decided to wait until it's all online to binge it. I think Capote was a product of the times: the sissy that people loved to despise. When he fell, he fell HARD.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying it Six...but again, last night's episode featured Truman and James Baldwin. I don't know it was ever noted they crossed paths. WTF? Like most Ryan Murphy shows...they start out swimmingly and good, but then fall apart. I hope this won't be the case here.

      Delete
  25. Picked it back up last night for another episode.... The plot thickens.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds as camp as tits, and something I might watch! Unfortunately it has yet to get a release date in the UK, and even then it'll be on streaming only (we don't subscribe to any of those services), so it'll be sometime never... Jx

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!