Monday, April 4, 2022

MOOD BOARD


I think the squirrel today sums up my mood. It was another weekend of scurrying around. Visting family far and wide came in for my late aunt's memorial dinner finally. It was great seeing everyone, and my uncle requested we all come with a quip, or a story that comes to mind of my Aunt Barb. It was great to hear stories I wasn't aware of, especially when it came to her driving. She may have gone to the Cruella De Vil driving school to put it mildly But a common theme? She gave many of us our love of the arts, food, cooking, farmers markets and loving and respecting nature. We even had several artist at the venue painting their art work on the spot, to share with all in the venue and generate excitement, and her youngest son from the Chattanooga Symphony, who's now with the Harrisburg Symphony played a solo piece on his viola of her favorite Beethoven piece. Great stories, good food and drink. It was all lovely. Her friend from 6th grade, who just turned 91 was even there. Now that was amazing. After we left the venue, it was to their home to finally spread the ashes in her flowering bulb and rose gardens. Sunday, my favorite cousin Mahogany, who's was in from Chicago, and I, took the train into Philly to spend the day at the  Philadelphia Art museum. Felt spectacular to get back into a space to view art again. Hence my squirrely mood today. So much going on, and to be quite honest, I just love squirrels. I adore my Bouvier when he shows up.  A couple of weeks ago at the BCASPCA we had a baby squirrel come in, fallen from a nest. A vet from a wildlife refuge came in to take it and raise it. But he told us of some facts I didn't know, beside them being highly intelligent. Like there brains get bigger in the fall and winter and get smaller again in the spring. This helps with  recalling where they bury their stash. In a season, they can bury up to 9,000 nuts or acorns, and easily recall where each is buried. I also didn't know they can and will , if need, feed on bird eggs and smaller frogs. And we know how I feel about frogs. We named him Buck. I also learned that my aunt fed the squirrels and love them too, to the dismay of my uncle.


The day of glee that I got to hold little Buck. I didn't want to give him up. I'm sure Buster wouldn't have minded a pet squirrel? And the tulips here today are ours- the first to bloom.

27 comments:

  1. Sorry for you loss. Your family is in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you JM! My aunt actually passed on back in early December, but with COVID couldn't have any memorial at the time.

      Delete
  2. I have a feeling that your aunt would love this squirrely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think little Buck has some growing to do to catch up to his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwwwwww, baby Buck! How wonderful that you got to hold him. And pussy willows and tulips -- they just scream SPRING IS HERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen anything cuter Debs! Spring is still struggling to break through permanently.

      Delete
  5. I think your memorial sounds just like your aunt would have enjoyed it. So glad your family could finally gather. Everyone doesn't have to be sorrowful, but a celebration of a life. Im not the biggest squirrel fan, but will admit, that little pink belly and shut eye is melting me to bits!!!!

    And Im just a bit jealous...the Philadelphia Art Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a very special memorial - I like the sound of the artists and musicians being involved.
    Love the squirrel too!
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  7. And you both like nuts, so for figure!

    Glad to hear that you and your family could finally get to have your aunt memorial and celabrate her life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A squirrel in the hand ..... is freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of having a meeting like this one.
    Everybody remembering her terrible driving! Her son playing... so cool.
    Love the little squirrel too!

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4/04/2022

    What a beautiful tribute to your aunt through stories and being together to celebrate her life. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. well that explains you're driving......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! Buck is a cute little baby. He's got some growing to do to catch up with his feet.

    That funeral sounded like a wonderful way to send her off. Very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 9000 nuts, that is a lot

    ReplyDelete
  14. Buck is so cute! Yes, i would've been wanting to take him home. Love squirrels. I do. Use to feed them on my grandfather's porch. Then a friend had a place on North Shore Lake Tahoe where we would spend a weekend or two in Summer. Fed the squirrels from our hands and the Bleu Jays, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how trusting they will get once they know your scent. I have a friend who raised a squirrel from a baby. She has a very popular Instagram featuring Jill. The bond is amazing.

      Delete
  15. Not a squirrel fan; they eat the bulbs out of my garden and the nuts off my tree - yah boo to squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason they don't bother our bulbs here...buy maybe because we feed them nuts. They don't bother any plants in the Garden.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad the memorial went well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like joyful memories of your Aunt Barb. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Little Buck is so adorable with that little pink belly and those big feet! Squirrels are amazing little creatures, though I can see why some people find them a nuisance. Did you know that squirrels use triangulation to keep "mental maps" of where their nut caches are hidden? Recent research studies in British Columbia have been focused on this ability. Check out the CBC website for past episodes of "The Nature Of Things" with David Suzuki if you want to learn everything about squirrels but were afraid to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are such a kind person. I hope all the kindness you have shown comes back to you three fold. Thank you for all you do for our furry friends. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 9,000 nuts? I can't even remember where I laid down my glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Like you we feed the Wild Animals and I look for the best quality of Kibbles for them, one would think I'm picking it out to eat for myself. *LOL* Awwwww, little Buck.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!