Monday, April 4, 2022

LATE NIGHT...YOLA

I fell in love with Yola's vocals two years ago with her first album and have been excited for its follow up. Yolanda Quartey, or known as just Yola, is a English musician, singer and songwriter and in her first stab at her first album received four Grammy Awards nominations in 2020. Her music encapsulates the giddy expansiveness, stunning emotional breadth, and exponential musical growth. This woman has such presence, command and an exhilarating sound of country soul. If you've heard of her and fell in love with the singular British artist on Walk Through Fire then you're bound to love her follow up Stand For Myself, filled with pop melodies, disco grooves, rootsy rawness and gospel power. But tonight, it's music that made me fall for Yola in the first place.

Yola performs a cover of Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road at the Farm Aid in 2019.

Love All Night(Work All Day) from her Dan Auerbach-produced album, Walk Through Fire.
 

 And this was the performance that I loved. Yola performing tunes from her solo debut Walk Through Fire on a edition of Austin City Limits.

21 comments:

  1. Love me some Yola! When I saw her on Austin City I stopped my channel surfing... and I was on my feet the whole time just receiving the beauty and nuances of this amazing woman’s delivery. She doesn’t only sing, she interprets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of her and always thought Yola’s voice is so beautiful and brought me to new heights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t even henny… the woman is a monster, in the best possible way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, what a performer! Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful voice. Thanks for sharing her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting vocalizations... bit of a twang which is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love her rendition of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road!! I have always loved that song...I think it started with my love for the Wizard of Oz and any sort of reference to a yellow brick road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too JM! It gets me tingly when she sings it.

      Delete
  8. Her voice has definite hints of the divine Tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a voice! Thanks for introducing her to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG. Love that voice! Thanks. I needed this after watching the Grammy awards last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grammy's were on? Opps.

      Delete
    2. I hadn't planned or wanted to watch. The wife insisted.... sigh....

      Delete
  11. She has such a wonderful voice. Thanks for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. quite talented and sonorous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of her, and it's rare I miss a Austin City Limits show.

    She is magnificent. I dare say her version of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road gave me chills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found more new music and artist from that show.

      Delete
  14. Just caught this episode. Can't believe this is the first I've heard of Yola. Love her and her band.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seeing Yola live during the pandemic quickly climbed to the top of my COVID bucket list! That's when I discovered her.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!