Wednesday, December 17, 2014

GRANDE DAME...SPEAKING OF RICHFIELD


Miss Richfield 1981 dedicates her life to the friendly citizens and responsible merchants of her hometown of Richfield, Minnesota. This Midwestern maven is winning over theater and cabaret audiences around the country and the globe with an interactive format that combines homespun warmth and edgy improv, leaving audiences in hysterics with a truly original performance. This queen has been a favorite of mine for some time now, and I have seen her show many times here in the city of brotherly love, and my two favorite beach hamlets, and I'm here to tell ya, she is just pure hilarity. If she ever comes to your city...GO SEE HER, you'll howl! So here are ten questions for this queen and you'll see what I mean......

Q: Where is your favorite place to be?
A: In high heels and high hair.

Q: What's your motto?
A: It's a quote. I believe Jesus said this: "It's important to be nice but it's nicer to be important." That is Miss Richfield's motto in life.

What would you do if you had a million dollars?
A: It would be all about shoes and handbags. I would start at the Hub in Richfield and then I would probably -- oh, it's been hard since Dot's closed at the Hub , so that has thrown a wrench in the shopping.
Q: Who would play you in a movie?
A: In my early years, I would select Honey Boo Boo because I was a little heavier as a child. For my recent years, I choose Jodie Foster because I wear slacks a lot. For my current and future years, it would be Harvey Fierstein. That voice and that figure is in my future -- in about a year and a half, if things keep going the way they are.

Q: What's the scariest thing you've ever done?
A: Hosting a horse semen auction in Phoenix, Arizona for the Morgan Horse Association. It proved to be fun and wonderful, but it was a little nerve-wracking, not knowing what I was walking into.
Q: What are you thinking when you're about to perform?
A: Who am I going to meet tonight? I think of it every time because I always meet new friends. I usually can't see the audience until I get out there, so I never know who it will be.

 
Q: When did you know you wanted to perform?
A: The first time I heard applause. That is what jazzed me. The first time I was really applauded was when I was finally potty-trained. My parents applauded and applauded. I was about 8.
Q: What was your first job?
A: I was an Avon lady for about one and a half hours. It wasn't a long career in the cosmetics business, unfortunately. I gave all the makeup away. I don't know if you've been where I live but I went from door to door and rang the bell and I'm telling you, I could not charge those gals for that makeup. These gals really needed it.


Q: What's the best thing about your job?
A: Joy is what comes to my mind, in the sense that I know I have done my job when I bring joy to someone's life. I know I've done it when people are happy, and that is an amazing way to live.
Q: Whom do you admire most?
A: It will never change as long as I live: Vonda Kay Van Dyke. She was the only contestant ever to win the titles of Miss America and Miss Congeniality, the only one in the history of the pageant. Her talent was she was a ventriloquist even though she only had one lung. You can pick up what you want to pick up out of that; it's just a sea of goodness
 
To check out her upcoming shows,she'll be appearing in....
 
Minneapolis at the Illusion Theater for Play with My Poodle for Christmas, December 18- 21 at 8pm each night.
 
Rehoboth Beach at the Blue Moon for "Fall On Your Knees: Miss Richfield Holiday Extravaganza"  Monday Dec 29 7  & 11pm for dinner and a show.
 
Provicetown at the Crown and Anchor for- "Fall On Your Knees: Miss Richfield Holiday Extravaganza' Thursday Jan 1 at 7:30 & 9:30

14 comments:

  1. i drive thru richfield on my way home every night.
    the hub is certainly the genitalia of the town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God bless the people who help us laugh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No queen gets more festive than Miss Richfield. I love that queen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE HER.Never seen her, but thanks for posting those dates. I'm in Rehoboth then so I'm definitely going to check into it. Her style is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where is your favorite place to be? "High heels and big hair!!!!!! LMAO! I couldn't agree more!!! She is a riot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh darling how swell. Looks like now someone has to put out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It's important to be nice but it's nicer to be important."

    Girl, please, I live by the same motto.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I hope she comes back to Philly again, I saw her once and that wasn't enough! Love that trademark smile.

    ReplyDelete
  9. More than just a pretty face, She's got it together under that hair...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wally is right. This fabulous queen has got to be using that wig underneath as storage!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ps and I love a queen who celebrates all her bases!!! The menorah is cracking me up

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! Caught her on a cruise once, she was phenomenal! And that mouth!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!