Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Grande Dame


I have seen this Grande Dame several times over the years perform, and while in Washington DC this past weekend I saw her again at Town Dance Boutique, and she truly amazed me once again her her beauty, and her great performance! Shi-Queeta-Lee has been a female impersonator -- as he is very careful to label himself -- for 16 years. Shi-Queeta loves the limelight and the attention that he gets when he is on stage as Shi-Queeta, and you can tell by his glow! His top characters are Tina Turner, Mary J. Blige, Whitney Houston and Diana Ross. While most people think terms like "female impersonator," "transsexual" and "drag queen" are interchangeable, Shi-Queeta is quick to clarify. According to him, a female impersonator is someone who impersonates an icon or actress to create an illusion on stage, typically for the purpose of turning a profit. A drag queen, on the other hand, is someone who "just likes to put on the clothes." Shi-Queeta also created a reality show titled Drag City:DC which followed herself and several other beauties from the area, which I found very entertaining. Shi-Queeta is also an active philanthropist and advocate for HIV/AIDS charities. He got involved in the cause after many of his friends passed away from HIV/AIDS in the 1980s. One of his friend's mothers took him aside and asked him to donate his time and energy on behalf of her deceased child, and he has been involved in the cause ever since. Though like any true diva, Shi-Queeta is surrounded by a lot of drama, but he does not let it get him down. " Some of people don't like me. The more they hate me, the stronger I am. The reason why a lot of people don't like me or accept me is because I strive to go for what I want and I'm not afraid to go after my dream." You go girl! Many more wonderful years for you in Washington DC!!!!! Be sure to visit her website at Shi-Queeta Lee or her Facebook for her performances locations and times. She has really good a heart of gold!

13 comments:

  1. WOW beautiful I wish I could be this beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE SHI-QUEETA!!!!! She IS DC so afr as I'm conerned. Very nice pick this week

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is fantastic! Beautiful inside and out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!!! After seeing her pictures I'm betting she does a mean Tina Turner! She is very stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. While I have never seen her perform or met her, I hear good things about her on the drag circut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has a amazing look! I'll have to you tube her and see her perform. I also noticed she attracts boys with nice pecs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm loving the first picture! She is so groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is just amazing and a heart to boot! She is DC'S true diva if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Words can not express how much I love Shi-Queeta. Breathtaking and some of the best drag in DC show experiences I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. BEYOND, camp ! Marvellous !

    ReplyDelete
  11. She is just classic female impersonator....Love her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is stunning and the boy has one nice pec!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!