Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The World A Plenty

There really is plenty of everything around, especially in consumerism. But is too much of one thing bad? Probably in some cases.



Fortunately for the Mistress this isn't one of them! What got me to thinking about this was the other day while at work a mother and daughter were shopping and the girl wanted a pair of Uggs boots. After a bit, the mother was like ok, and even got her two pairs of Uggs socks. Why anyone would want these boots, I can't understand. I don't like this trend and you'll never find a pair on the Mistress!!! But the boots and the sock were probably about$200. The daughter then got on her cell phone and phoned a friend and bragged she now had more Uggs boots then so and so! And this wasn't even her Christmas gift! I was just appalled at a young age she was already learning to be greedy and become very materialistic. And will she even really enjoy and cherish them? The brat probably won't.And I don't understand why people just go out to buy things just to have them. For example, when my ex and I broke up, alot moved out with the Mistress. In one week he went out and bought all new things to fill the space. Wouldn't you want to take your time and fill your home with things you took your time finding and would have some meaning? Consumerism today is all about 'he who has the most possessions wins!' Unfortunately there is a widespread mindset that more 'things' will make you happier, make people like you better, and lead to a better and more fulfilled life. But are you any happier? Materialism, I think, has reached an all time high with most Americans. That is evident through their willingness to sacrifice financial independence and financial security for designer clothes, elaborate home furnishings, expensive jewelry, pleasure boats, seaside vacation homes, and a multitude of other items. Just whip out the plastic cards and it's instant gratification! Americans are actually consumed by consumerism today. Luxuries have now become necessities in the eyes of many. And it is a measure of success to acquire an arsenal of consumer goods for the world to see. And what's with people getting Christmas gifts for like every member of the family? Aunt,uncles,cousins and ex-in laws! My family gets gifts for the kids now only. We like to just enjoy good food, drink and each other's company! It just seems to me that many people are so obsessed with materialistic things, that they forget what's important in life. If they really stop and take a hard look at their lives, they will probably find that in the process of accumulating possessions, they have forgotten to enjoy their possessions and live life! I'll take my plenty in other for! Tootles.

18 comments:

  1. Good post. I've actually been trying to whittle down my possessions. It's not that hard, when you get down to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consumerism trains us not to understand the difference between "wants" and "needs." Once we can't tell them apart, then we thing we need EVERYTHING. Good post, Mistress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The philosopher Max Scheler noted that in the modern age, people tend to seek the minimum amount of pleasure from the maximum amount of things, whereas the previous ideal was to experience a maximum amount of pleasure from a minimum number of objects. I think the materialism you describe largely arises from the collective lack of temperance, not to mention a forgetfulness of the spiritual world. We are material creatures, embodied spirits, meant to enjoy material goods, but we do not enjoy them well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These boots show America’s materialistic culture because everyone has them, as if they are a necessity rather than something that one gets in order to portray a certain image. No. I’ve heard some UGG wearers calling them ugly, and only wear them for comfort. I hate them too! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12/14/2010

    I admit, I am sometimes, guilty, guilty, guilty. But honestly, over the past few years I have curtailed buying clothes so much. I just don't need another thing.

    When Hubz asked me what I wanted for Christmas, one of the things I asked for was to make a donation to either God's Love We Deliver or Room to Read. That and of course, a Links of London orange friendship bracelet. (A guy can wish, right?)

    As for the family gifts. Forget it!! A few years ago I told everyone that Christmas was really for giving gifts to kids. We adults have everything we need, so we should just draw names and buy one really nice gift for one person. But every year I hope and pray that my sister-in-law doesn't pick my name, because she inevitably gives me something from Avon, like a fake gold-plated herringbone necklace or some crap like that. Did I say that out loud?

    "God bless us one and all!"
    Since moving from ATL to NYC and from a house into an apartment, it really makes me realize just how much STUFF is in my life. Hubz and I packed up a big garbage bag of clothes and a box of clothes to give away.

    And don't get me started on Ugg Boots - they are Ugg-ly and stupid looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12/14/2010

    Okay, I had to come back to this post again...because DANG, that is a BIG package. Some things ARE better in quantity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The explosion of technology in the areas of media, computers, and communication has generated such a rebirth of materialism too I think. And as for the Uggs, I hear they are comfty, but I refuse to put that ugly thing on my foot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! My first thought when I saw the title of this post was the Mistress is tallking about cock again! Partly right! I have to admit though, I do still like my Abercrombie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great post. I got me thinking. The United States, as a country, is financed far beyond 100%. The residents of the United States are as well. And your right I do have alot I don't really enjoy. It like why did I buy this again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with you Mistress, I not very materialic except when it comes to man-candy! Then look out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Intresting post for this time of year.Today I find more than ever that the world has been taken over by greed and materialism. Never before has such power and prestige been held just by flaunting what it is that you own. The more you own, the more powerful you are. It's the power of the almighty dollar. But this isn't what bothers me. What bothers me is the connection people make with owning expensive luxuries and being a good person. We see a beautiful model on television wearing a 20,000 dollar necklace and a 1,000 dollar outfit and immediately we feel the need to be like them. We're taught that being like them is the only way. We are hounded with these images everywhere we look. Constantly the static of how we should live and where we should spend our money. What's cool and what's important for you to have. Well, this is my analysis of it. And btw- I could get plenty with the above picture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Materialism or quality of life, will America ever achieve a balance?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like many Americans I have everything I could want, and then some, and at this particular holiday season, in this particular year, the thought of shopping makes me feel like the little girl who eats the whole Whitman’s Sampler! Uncontrollable. The United States has more malls than high schools; Americans spend more time shopping than reading. For this recovering shopper, right now the ads, the catalogs, the stores all feel more like hallmarks of an addiction than an indulgence. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was at the mall on Christmas Eve last year to partake in my annual last minute Christmas shopping. After parking 2.3 miles from the mall and being shuttled to the entrance of the "temple" that most Americans pray at this time of year, I made my way through the crowds to a sneaker store. I complemented the clerk on his shiny new sneakers which he quickly bragged were the new Air Jordan Space Jam shoes that were for 210 dollars (probably made in Indonesia for $10).
    “Wow” I responded, “who would pay that much for shoes in this economy?” To my shock, his response was “a lot of people” He informed me that the shoes sold out within 10 minutes of the store opening and there were 2 people in a fist fight in line before the store even opened. I shook my head in amazement and remembered that I hate this part of Christmas. Have we become that materialic here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kids today have WAY more than kids had when I was growing up. And I agree that they usually don't appreciate what they have because they have so much. Parents often shower their kids with stuff to make up for not spending quality time with them, as well as so their kids don't feel 'left out' when talking with their friends. I don't have the answers, but I know that extreme consumerism surely isn't the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I figrued you liked plenty of something!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well... we both work in retail, which over time can make you a bit cynical & jaded about consumerism.

    Uggs are something I have never understand. Why would you chosses to look like a Hobbit.

    The Husband & I gave up giving each other Christmas gifts 20 years ago... as our gift to each other.

    Sometimes though, too much is just what I need.

    Very thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent post! I wholeheartedly agree! Seems as if we spend years accumulating and then later on getting rid of it. I'm trying to weed out now and need to get rid of about 75% of what is in my house. I've never been materialistic in my life and care more about people and relationships with them. I do like gadgets, though, I must admit, so there is that. I really like the DVR. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!