...or creepy crawlies?? In the last week, I have seen many creepy crawlies, winged insects and a few fur balls. But not all creepy. I'm not a fan of caterpillars, but knowing what most of them turn into I can overlook the temporary stage they are in. like the silkworm down below. That thing was huge, about 5" long and just as thick! Yuck. Let's take a gander....look at the head of that thing!

but wait there's more! I got a video of it for y'all.
But they turn into one of North America's largest butterflies or more so moths. I don't see many around here...it's been a few years since I saw one. Here is another in the grass about a week ago.
Of course I came across another big sucker, but a dead one. I almost caught Sophie eating it. Because why wouldn't she? Yes a cicada.
Of course they aren't all ugly.
Here's a beauty in another video I caught after work of a butterfly on the Mexican sunflower.
And of course there were the usual suspects around...the fur kind. Luckily, I don't many problems with them eating my garden up or wreaking havoc with any holes or such.
This rabbit sat for close to two hours in this spot and actually took a snooze there till darkness hit.
And then there was this moment. I was walking past the Hosta on the one side of the house to weed and heard a rustling in the leaves, thinking it was a cicada. This is what emerged! I have seen them at night but never before dark, if rarely.
Very vampire like watching move as it came out of the leaves. I later went back and didn't see it anywhere. It must have flew off. But in the garden at night, I see usually about three of them flying about eating annoying insects. I don't mind all these creatures. Yes, some of them are not all that appealing to look at, but they all serve a purpose in the scheme of things.


.jpg)








So much life in that garden!
ReplyDeleteI love it when I see butterflies. Love it!
And I wish I lived in a house with a backyard I’d have beehives or at least bug motels.
XOXO
A friend of mine has 4 beehives in a field belonging to a farmer friend of hers. The farmer is sowing the field with wild flower seeds for next year. Sadly this year the heat has affected the amount of honey the bees have made so they'll have to be fed though the winter.
DeleteThe more we know about the birds and the bees. Have you ever watched silk being unwound from the cocoon? Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill had someone who did demos every year.
ReplyDeleteYep, some caterpillars can be quite ugly. But there are some that are positively beautiful. I don't mind any creepy-crawly as long as they remain outside. LOL.
ReplyDeleteIn the next few days my Caryopteris Clandonensis Gold will be smothered in bees; on a good day there will be up to a 100 bees feasting on the blue flowers.
ReplyDelete