Thursday, August 1, 2019

QUENCH YOUR THRIST

I'm now readying myself for the next excursion...P-town! It then dawned on me and shame on me, for never doing a post of the fabulous, P-town queen, Thirsty Burlington.

When I think of Thirsty, she to me is what embodies a true drag queen experience. She had a rough life growing up, and has the rare, raw talent to bring the house down, while still giving us that old school drag that I absolutely love. I have seen her once in Ptown, and she is NOT to be missed, in what seems a endless line of drag residency's in Ptown for the summer. She is one I highly recommend to catch. 

Thirsty "s quirky sense of humor always carries the day; there is a certain self-awareness to her performance that is a totally enchanting irrespective of her surroundings. The performance I witnessed had a mediocre turnout and technical difficulties,  but Thirsty was not fazed. She is a consummate performer, quite confident in her delivery and brash in her demand for endearment. Her show works because she is cognizant of her strengths, an above-adequate singing voice, killer comedic timing, a penchant for acting out, and the best Cher impersonation on the Eastern Seaboard. Cher herself has even said "Thirsty does Cher better than I do Cher." In a career spanning more than twenty-five years, Thirsty is regarded as one of the finest celebrity impersonators in the world. From his signature Cher, to Judy Garland and Michael Jackson, Townsend raises the bar when it comes to taking an audience on a fantastical ride of music and comedy. Raised in Cambridge, MA, Scott began performing as a teen appearing on local television talent shows and starring in countless school productions. In his twenties, he discovered an instinctive ability to impersonate Cher like no one else, and from that point on his star began to rise. Clubs from all over New England and New York eagerly hired him to perform to capacity crowds. Over the past twenty years Thirsty has continued to wow audiences throughout the United States and Mexico. But of all his charters, there is no other Thirsty Burlington.
This past season starting in May Thirsty had a all new show at the Crown & Anchor, The Cher Show, a  stage with a show packed with live vocals, comedy, glitz, and glamour. A salute to Cher you’ll never forget I'm told. So I was tickled when pal Pearl Gates told me she procured tickets to see it. I was very excited. I also highly recommend the documentary of Thirsty' s life that was released to very little fanfare back in 16'. Thirsty,  if you haven't seen this gem. It should be another of those required gay viewing movies.

The film starts from a tender age, Scott Townsend’s life is ruled by his slippery gender. Growing up a girly-boy in the projects of Cambridge, MA, under the watch of his abusive father, and Doris, his alcoholic, dysfunctional, single mom, Scott is prey to extreme bullying and assault. Already a talented singer and performer at a young age, Scott grows up to be revered drag queen, Thirsty Burlington and delights club goers in Provincetown, MA, with his spot on impersonation of Cher. But even in this gay mecca, being Thirsty comes at a price.Inspired by Scott/Thirsty’ s life, Thirsty spotlights the power of gender identity to both endanger and work its magic. The journey moves through dramatic, fantasy and musical sequences coming full circle when Scott realizes what he wants most in life, “To be safe and comfortable in all his skins,” and loved for all that he is.

Thirsty Burlington- The Cher Show can be seen at the Crown & Anchor all through till early September yet. Tickets here.

14 comments:

  1. My dear! I ponder once again. Do you actually ever go to work? Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! It's really not when he works, but how he works and he works his cute little bubble butt off!

      Delete
    2. don't let him fool you either. he says it hard work booking and planning vacations. i do it damn it.

      Delete
  2. Ma chère! What an enchanting creature. I have not had the pleasure of meeting la diva. Last time I was in P-town, I was surrounded by nothing but Canadian leather men strapping themselves to whatever pool table they could find. The season must have been over since La Varla Jean departed to the souther states. I do hope you share some of the intimate moments of your sojourn to the coast. Sunsets are ever so lovely at the Cape. And should you find a leather brute named Karl, could you please ask him for my cockring? I had it procured in one of Berlin's finest men's accessories stores. I'll be forever in your debt, ma chère!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conde d'Arundel…. thanks darling for stopping in at my little ole place!!! "I was surrounded by nothing but Canadian leather men strapping themselves to whatever pool table they could find" I'm not sure I see the issue, but then again I have never been that talented at pool, but however Im familiar with balls. Funny right? Yes, you know the season is done when Varla and Miss Richfield vacate, and I agree, the sunsets are stunning. We caught one on a whale watch once. As far as your loss of the cockring, will my clutch be big enough to carry it? Or do I require a larger tote? Karl huh.... I have made a note lambchop. I'll risk the seedy parties and dick dock and see what I can find.

      Now y'all come back now ya hear.💋

      Delete
  3. I must admit, I've never heard of her but that biopic looks like something I would enjoy watching. The trailer looks more involving than Bohemian Rhapsody was. Thanks for sharing, honeybun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A P-town staple for SURE , and I agree, I must see when there. One of the best I've seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm my opinion I have always thought her Cher is better then Chad Michaels, mostly because of the live performance, yet she is very under rated and gets no coverage. Kudos to featuring this legend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can’t wait to see this!!! I am searching online to see if I can find a copy...looks very interesting. And that video of him singing is downright amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Talent to spare!!
    You have a good time and enjoy.
    xoxoxoxoxo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Saw the movie.....wow!!! You won't be disappointed with Thirsty honey...she is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!!! Chad is good, but Thirsty even sings like Cher!!!!! And how do you not love that name?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so fortunate. Thanks for the documentary recommendation! Have a great time,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thirsty’s story is heartbreaking and inspiring! Whoa. Talk about an arch.
    And her Cher out-Chers Chad’s. Damn!
    And you know we’re gonna need Ptown updates and pics. Or it didn’t happen!
    XoXo

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!