Sunday, November 3, 2013

Over Heard at Brunch....with Hashtags.

 
It was a wonderful day to get out for a fall brunch. The clan and I go for Sunday brunch once a month, and today was the day we hit New Hope. While we were at our brunch establishment, and enjoying our food and various libations, a conversation had caught my attention, and before long the whole clan was privy to it. A group of, I'll call, "social network" queens had said they never heard such chatter. One said they probably hadn't seen each other in a couple years. Mind ya we do see each other often. 
 
Now I have had several Bloody Mary's so lets let it rip......
 
 Now if you know me, you'll know that I don't partake in Facebook, Twitter or the like, and I find it a HUGE reason for people being socially retarded. I just don't have the time. And they really aren't my speed. Call me old fashioned, by I prefer to go out face to face, get dressed up, talk, catch up, and have conversation over a gin and tonic. And if your someone I wanted to be talking to or if I cared what happened to somebody, you'd be in my life. Now it seems there is hardly ever talking or socializing, and people are constantly on their phones while driving, walking, shopping, and while in the company of others. Hence the table of queens next to us, who obliviously, God love em, made the attempt to get ready to go to brunch, but once there, all they did was stay on there phones, no doubt on their social network of choice. What the hell is the point of going to a damn brunch!?!? If I'm on a date and a guy is constantly on their phone, there done, not even sport nookie. And what's  worst was the use of, as a clutch my pearls,
the use of the hashtag!!!!!!!
 
 
Now, between the two major causes of social retardation, I can accept Facebook just a wee tad more, but Twitter!!!!!! And the damn hashtag craze is driving me nuts, and I'm not even on it!!!!! Hashtags are topics, trends, subjects, and names indicated by a number sign(#)preceding a word or phrase. Like: if you were talking about me you’d hashtag #fabulous #minx. Hashtags allow users to find relevant content via search. When enough people use the same hashtag, it trends, which can help raise awareness of causes and events. I hate hashtags. I think they are the absolute most annoying thing, and it's bad enough there used on those networks, but now there being seen in ads, and commercials, like the annoying Subway ad!  Now Subway actually has a commercial where they pronounce the hashtag. Hashtag!! Hashtag!!! Maybe this commercial is just a satirical look of how carried away society is with these unimportant fad trends.I hate them even more when people decide to put 20 words in a single hashtag. Celebrities seems to be the worst with this. When I see something like that, I am tuned out immediately. I’m sorry, but that does not make you cool.
 
 
Now it's bad enough we see them, now people are SPEAKING THEM IN!!!!!! Grabs smelling salts.... Now mind you, I'm no English scholar, or at times a great speller, but isn't our grammar already muddled enough, now we need to add all this crap in?!?! I can remember Heidi Klum using it in commercials, and wanted to take my jungle red nails and slap the bitch, making a hashtag on her pretty mug. I hate the Hashtag, it's stupid and annoying. It is bad enough that to me it will always be called a pound sign, but now people are beginning to speak using the Hashtag. I don't get it.It won’t be long before the following might be typical conversation.
 
Well hello, don’t you look nice tonight; Hashtag hot Hashtag nice bulge in jeans.”
 
“Oh, why thank you; Hashtag nothappening Hashtag urcreepy.”
 
 
“I thought maybe we could do dinner and a movie; Hashtag getudrunk Hashtag getinurpnts.”
                      “Dinner would be nice; Hashtag Ihavemace.”
 
 Now that is what drove me nuts at brunch,that the boys at the next table, when they did talk about things, occasionally threw in the hashtag when speaking. Oy vey....I only hope this Hashtag fad crap doesn’t make its way to the Casa du Borghese. Or I'll go insane and my gin intake will be at a all time high. Of course, I have the best solution for that damn blue Twitter bird to kill the thing...
 

38 comments:

  1. Hashtag this was funny!!!!!!!! I love when you get fired up and #rant Hashtag before this Hashtag I've never used a Hashtag in my life. It's just Hashtag stupid.

    Bridge anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now your talking, Bridge and Bourbon! Maybe we should wait for Tabitha.

      Delete
  2. What a funny post and how TRUE! Sometimes I think the cell phone was the worst invention. I too agree people are getting very retarted socially, and it's sad. No hand written notes anymore, and in most schools won't even teach cursive. My one grandchild never even heard if it, but knows the hashtag. That's about to change very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just last week I was at the Oak Room and talking to a guy, cell in hand. It was like pulling teeth for small talk.

      Delete
  3. Ok, that was a good laugh. I admit to being a huge Facebooker, has been great for mu business. Tried Twitter.....hated it, and the # is a huge part of it. Just a bunch of noisy chatter of crap, a lot of talking and saying nothing.....it's like watching The View and those old bitches on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, someone's #PissedOff.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is nothing....you should see him after vodka tonics.

      Delete
    2. I know how you love my rants tootes

      Delete
  5. I'll never think of hashtags the same again. Thanks for a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The internet, and the written word, is mono-vector. You can only present a single idea clearly at one time. Spoken words, face to face, is multivector. it allows people to communicate on several different levels, and to share concepts really, really quickly.

    Hashtags are great ways to provide clues to the subtext by making them overt. They provide textual commentary and allow people to convey secondary meanings in an easy to understand way. Dense literary meaning is hard.

    Sorry I missed this one today.
    Sorry I missed this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear, lets face . When it comes to art ,getting dressed up, social etiquette, technology, and traditions, your left behind from another time. You could be today's Dowager Countess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The minute I came out of my mother's womb, I knew I was born in the wrong time.

      Delete
  8. The only thing missing in that cats mouth is the blue feathers.......if only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not on facebook, twitter, instagram, or any other bullshit. when I go visit someone, it had BETTER be for face-to-face conversation/laughs ONLY.

    sometimes I feel we "old farts" are the last decent folks who know how to read and write and speak and spell properly. I second agnes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. But what about #Gin & #Cock..???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wally dearest, shouldn't you be hashtagging yourself?

      Delete
  11. So true. I've actually said to a friend at dinner "You should put your phone down. There are actual people here at the table for you to talk to." And girl do NOT get me started on that hashtag Twitter shit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. When out, if there is a occasional text, like once or twice that's different, but constantly being on it will ensure I won't waste time with that person, or party again. Hope you and spouse are doing well!!!!!!

      Delete
  12. Anonymous11/03/2013

    This is hilarious! And I'm writing this as I have Tweetdeck on my browser and I'm tweeting during the #Raiders game against the #Eagles.

    Honey, I think you'd enjoy #TwitterAfterDark if you gave it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey, I've been Twittering after dark under the sheets for years and years now.........

      Delete
  13. Thank the Goddess that someone else knows that symbol is really the pound sign! Rant on, Mistress, I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It never fails to impress me how you can squeeze humor out of just about anything. I'll be thinking about YOU from now on when I see these dreadful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lovely, just what I wanted to be. A hashtag.

      Delete
  15. #I can't f*cking stand it. I have heard people in conversation actually use it , it is enough to drive one nuts! I would love to join your brunch once. Is it like a group of rabid cats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's like you have had brunch with us.

      Delete
  16. Now I admit, I a huge Twitter whore I'm guilty of what you mention. It's a horrible #habit. I am always tempted to do them, but I resist the urge because I know its more annoying than endearing. I don't know, I guess I just think they're funny.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never used a # except for numbers--but then I don't get out much!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not savvy enough to use a # on Twitter or Facebook, but when kids use it in face-to-face conversations, I think they'll come up with some kind of abbreviation instead of saying, ya know, two whole syllables. So instead of saying "hashtag", maybe they'll use some kind of sound or gesture. A conversation sprinkled with a bunch of raspberries would be kinda interesting, dontcha think? As for the gestures, I'll leave that to your imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now listen up, if one more person uses a hash tag, mark my words, I'm cutting the houseboys off for your consumption!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I feel you...I'll share with you an example of one person I have on facebook who feels the need to do this with EVERY post-

    "Waiting for the train to hand in my Uni work! #deadline #deadlineday #day #final #uni #uniwork #work #train #trainstation #sunny #sunshine"Why, WHY?! facebook doesn't even use fucking hashtags!

    Now what's this about your nice bulge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say "keep it up" but that would be a bad pun for you.

      Delete
  21. LOL,LOL,LOL! # mistress your too funny! I think the #is beyond cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know, it doesn't always take a blow to kill someone, it takes a simple goodbye,lol

      Delete
  22. Who knew # could get one worked up! It is stupid, what's the point. I'm on facebook. I see no purpose in Twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!