Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Classical Music in the Future?

The Chattanooga Symphony


I know it is rare the Mistress have any real serious concerns or serious moments, but the future of classical music and jazz does worry me to a point. It may come as a shock to all the Mistress does indeed love classical, jazz, and even a little opera at times, not just the club ditties and lounge music. Just recently on my excursions to San Francisco and then again to Rehoboth Beach I happened to get in a conversation with two guys, one in each city, and they both happened to be conductors. The conversations were fascinating. And later in our talks, it came up at the lack of funding alot of the symphonies and orchestras around were getting. The other problem was is that these groups are also finding it hard to find conductors, and for the matter, symphony members to play. Later in the week while going to work, I had on MPR. The shows host Jill Pastornac had on a conductor who was stating the same problems as the two I talked too. It seems part of the problem is the so many schools have cut their classes altogether of music and art. So students are not take classes anymore because they aren't offered. When I went to school we had to take them. They were mandatory. I even took flute lessons for a while but I just was not catching on.(I know, go figure. Me not knowing how to play the flute. I did master another kind years later though!) Anywho, so since the classes have been cut, their just isn't the young people continuing to play instruments anymore, or have never been introduced. My cousin, who plays with the Chattanooga Symphony says the same thing. Their symphony has gotten smaller since he started years ago. He said some parents also don't have the money to give lessons to their children because of the economy. He considers himself lucky. My aunt and uncle let him peruse the violin, but it turns out he later liked the viola better. He studied with the renowned virtuoso Emanuel Vardi, who also states the problem stems from classes being cut from school curriculums, lack of money in the community to support these groups, and younger people just don't have the interest or money to go see a performance or opera. The conductor on MPR said he found it interesting while he tours the US, the patrons are all mostly over 40 years old, but while touring Europe and Japan the patrons their are mostly under 35 years old and younger.

The London Symphony Orchestra


He said there is definitely a lifestyle difference here and abroad. In schools abroad they still offer all classes to students, in public and private schools, so the interest is still there. All I know is I really enjoy classical music and jazz, and can't help but wonder how long it will be heard for. I don't understand why schools would cut arts programs. You would think we would want our future generation to be well rounded with interests in different ares of life besides just pushing numbers,writing essays and learning science. I'm glad I got to take everything we had to. While all classes are just as important, who wants to live in a society of a bunch of corporate robots who aren't enjoying the other pleasures of life. And so many classical radio stations are also closing down one by one. Philadelphia only as two left. All I have to say is I don't know what I would do if I turned on my radio one day and didn't hear me some classical or jazz. Thanks cousin for the beautiful gift of music! What do y'all think of this situation?

The New York Philharmonic

7 comments:

  1. The arts have never been appreciated for the full worth here in the States. When schools cut funding it's always the arts that get the shaft, never the sports teams. Getting rid of art is cultural suicide, but the higher ups don't remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie, I certainly agree with you. Corporate interests currently have too much of a hold on our country's fate and believe me they don't want an informed, educated, well rounded populace. I think it is easy to see the arts dying on the vine here, but they are only the precursor to a wider problem. When compared to the young of other nations, our youth are faltering in history, literature, science, reading, math, and physical education. Diluting corporate interests and launching a massive, fully funded education campaign are the only two things that I think may stop the decline of our republic and restore our collective soul and intellect. If we don't do that, our nation doesn't really deserve to survive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coco de Mere9/03/2009

    What a excellent post Mistress. Now that you mentioned it, there does seem to be alot of the arts cut from the school programs. I couldn't imagine not having these classes. And how boring will our soceity be when we have no knowledge of any of the arts! Makes me more mad by the minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree more with you. It is ashame that our culture here is just brushing aside the arts so easily. I do like some classical, but I love me so jazz, which has not been quite as affected as classical. But the jazz clubs are closing very slowely. Hell, I use to love me some Zanabar Blue in center city. GONE! Shame on us as a country for letting this happen. What next? Are we going to start closing up museums?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! And to another point, we have this fabulous music, full of history and a very great art form and people would still like to hear the industry driven crap of the mainstream engine! The artist today are weak and so corporte driven! God forbid these "artist" have a mind of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you know it bothers me. The arts save some kids' lives in school. It's the only place they feel appreciated and can express their creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a very intresting post,this is great to talk about. It has been a while since I lived in the US, but when I was still living there I was involed with opera, and it was getting very hard to find a venue to perform in. You have to be really good, so I went aboard. I sayed with it more as a hobby but would perform for special events. But opera has been hardest hit. It saddens me to read how in the US the arts are taking a back seat. And that art and music programs of circiulim are being cut. The others bussiness and other things are just as important,I can't imagine the thought of a place just brushing these things aside. How boring would it be. And can you imagine our young people not being able to talk to things they don't even know about? My last trip to the US found me at a museum, and the young people their had no idea what they were looking at and didn't care. Same with music. It does worry me also. Over here and in Europe it isn't quite any where near as bad as it is in the US. I agree with you all. You would think a country would want a well rounded population.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!