Thursday, July 18, 2019

CATHEDRALS

As if the arrival on the Orient Express was enough already...I will warn you, I was further seduced by the splendor of the city of Vienna, and helped me over the sads from getting off the train. This city was pretty neck and neck with my trip to Buenos Aires...as some of the architecture reminded of the same as I saw there, especially when it came to cathedrals. I felt guilty going in them, in fear they may crumble with my sinful ass walking in, but they did indeed withstand the minx!!! I'm far from religious....but the architecture and details of two of my favorite sights from Vienna were these two masterpieces...both with such ornate  decoration and touches....and the scale was jaw dropping. The first was St Stephen's Cathedral, and not because I share a name with it. 
From the very beginning, over 700 years now the cathedral has played an important part in Vienna’s spiritual and worldly affairs, and the country sees it as one of the most important and beloved landmarks. It's well worth the visit, and if you go , you'll be standing right where Joseph Hayden  sang as a choir boy and Mozart got married. The oldest remaining parts of St. Stephen’s (the beautifully Giant Gate and the Towers of the Heathens) date back to the 13th century when Vienna was growing in importance and significantly expanding its city limits. Duke Rudolph IV of Habsburg, in 1359, laid the cornerstone of the Gothic nave with its two aisles. From then on, it took over two hundred years for the building to reach its present shape. St. Stephen’s Cathedral houses a wealth of art treasures, some of which can only be seen on the guided tour.The magnificent South Tower, which alone took 65 years to build, is to this day the highest point in the skyline of Vienna’s inner city. The 343 steps of the tight spiral staircase lead up to the watchman's lookout 246 feet above street level.  The climb is well worth it, I made it worth while for Warbucks to do...he didn't think he'd make it! Once at the top, you’ll enjoy the finest view over the Old Town in all of Vienna.

The other cathedral we visited was the stunning St Peter's Cathedral. This one truly took my breath away.
This is the second-oldest church in Vienna, and the spot on which it stands could well be Vienna's oldest Christian church site. It's believed that a place of worship stood here in the second half of the 4th century. Charlemagne is credited with having founded a church on the site during the late 8th or early 9th century.The present St. Peter's is the most lavishly decorated baroque church in Vienna. Gabriel Montani designed it in 1702. Hildebrandt, the noted architect of the Belvedere Palace,  which we also visited, is believed to have finished the building in 1732. The fresco in the dome is a masterpiece by J. M. Rottmayr depicting the coronation of the Virgin. The church contains many frescoes and much gilded carved wood, plus altarpieces done by well-known artists of the period.
 Some of my fancy shaky video work.

40 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mistress, I can see were going to be treated to some swell and beautiful posts. Both of these places are so beautiful and solemn places. Must have sent a chill knowing that Mozart and Hayden were both there for a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did indeed tickle me to hear that, as I love classical music.

      Delete
    2. to be in the same place that those two composers visited - takes one's breath away.

      Delete
  3. My first visit to Wien was over 30 years ago. I'd just arrived by train from Munich and, disembarking at the Hauptbahnhof, I was musing with myself on the lines of "Ah, so this is that renowned historical fulcrum of excellence, aristocratic elegance, music, art, literature, learning, food, wine, champagne - in short all the finest aspects of life!" Then, exiting the station, directly opposite on a wall, in ultra-large lettering someone had provided a welcoming graffito. And what did it read? It read "FUCK OFF"! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That gave me a good chuckle. Nothing like good old vulgar street art right?

      Delete
    2. It might have been just a little more imaginative.

      Delete
  4. Visiting European cathedrals really brings home the immense power and wealth of the Christian church in its heyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and still today, dear. greedy money grabbers!

      Delete
  5. i am impressed these fine structures held the true test, and passed .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking. That’s the only word that occurs to me. I have always dreamed of visiting Europe and these photos just made me wanna start a fund for such trip. I also agree with Debra. These masterpieces give you a glimpse of the power and riches that the Catholic Church had in its heyday.

    XoXo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and they STILL are fucking rich. but no money for the abuse victims...

      Delete
  7. Beautiful! Reminds me about being a alter boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. “When will you realize Vienna waits for you?”

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a breathtaking post to start the day. Things like this remind you of just how young the US still is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the beauty there is jaw dropping.

      Delete
  10. I'm sure traveling around Europe with you is like a scene from A Room With a View. If only Maggie Smith and Judi Dench came a long for the ride...forget it. Skip that. Bring along a gaggle of handsome Italian men and let them feed us pizza and gelato, for starters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it any wonder your turning me on, with such sweer talk?

      Delete
  11. Wow!, Vienna is on the list of places to go. I didn’t know you first name was Saint?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depending who you talk too, some say sinner.

      Delete
    2. we just call her the whore of doylestown! :)

      Delete
  12. Interesting history and gorgeous pictures. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Breathtaking. I really need to get out more and travel.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, those Habsburgs..! They certainly knew how to show off.

    I'm most intrigued by the Towers of the Heathens, myself. Jx

    PS Vienna is a city I have never visited; I have flown over it, however, and visited Prague. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. St Stephen's Cathedral reminds me of the one in Norwich (the city of my birth, and work). But St Peter's is something else. Those colours and paintings/frescoes are magnficent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have been to Vienna, but it's been awhile ago, around the time I moved to Amsterdam I believe. And the two cathedrals your featured are what I remember the most. People I know all seem to like Paris more, but I have always found Vienna to be far more romantic.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cap Chasen7/19/2019

    Some beautiful little gems in the Midst of Old Town Vienna. It's quite amazing to see the craftsman ship.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, I have to ask... who was playing the organ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. likey, the mistress. he is alway under a piano, or on top of a organ.

      Delete
    2. now, now, you are giving away the mistress' secrets again!

      Delete
  19. Wow, the scale is amazing! Loved your pictures. Did you and warbucks get married?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anonymous7/19/2019

    Stunning visuals. Makes me want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bring back good memories of the symphony tour. I love vienna. Did you see Joahann Strauss's monument by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Stunning photos and video! "Wein, Stadt meiner Traume" still pertains today. The beauty of Vienna is timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such magnificence. And I’m talking about Daddy’s view going up the stairs. I can only imagine how small one would feel in these lavish spaces. Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What glorious architecture.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are getting around Mistress. I look forward to more post. These pictures and this trip so far I stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The architecture is jaw dropping. Sure don't see that workmanship in the US.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!