Sunday, April 24, 2016

FLIGHT OF FANCY

 
I was finally able to rest and have a relaxing weekend!!! With exception of a trip to Trader Joe's and the farmers market, tis was very relaxing indeed. My favorite part of spring is the blooming and greening of the landscape. These tulips above just now bloomed this week at our entrance. This weekend also gave me time to sit and enjoy my breakfast with some of my usual suspects and two new guest, like this red winged blackbird near the woods edge perched on an old bench. They seem to like the soggy marsh like water that sits there like a small pond.
Of course Bonnie and Clyde and company are still around...with a bunch of dove friends.....
I was beginning to feel like Tippi from the Birds...they kept coming. Several will perch and roost outside the kitchen window for some time.
 
The Downey still comes by...
 
as does the Nuthatch couple...
 
a cardinal happened by. They do feed from the sill quite often, but they tend to be the most skittish when I move inside. One day I saw the male and female perched....the male was actually feeding the female!!! I had never seen that before. I wonder if that is common? The cardinals are also the first bird I hear singing in the morning.
The Blue jays are back in numbers. They too will feed from the sill.
 
The juncos have finally flown the coup, but the finches are now molted and their bright yellow color has returned... my finch socks all around must have attracted about 20 of them.
 
The cowbirds are also back and with their very high pitched singing....
 
Yesterday when I went to the market.....
I do believe she may be looking to nest. She has been around all weekend. Will have to keep a eye out. She best beware of the fox family we have.
 
Some lovely stems brought in.....
Any wonder spring is my favorite season....nice to have Persephone back.
 

23 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a surplus of feathered friends without even having to go to Bodega Bay. I love all of the delightfully springy photos.

    The birds seem to be very elusive here in Nowhereland. They're abundant but I can't seem to get photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I'm the very first to comment this time. Usually I have to settle for sloppy seconds.....or thirds....or.....

      Delete
    2. with the mistress, you'll be lucky to get fifths left.

      Delete
    3. Yes I see your first for the taste test this time!!!! These weren't even all the varieties I had this weekend either. I do enjoy taking coffee and breakfast at the window on the weekends.

      Delete
  2. @jon - maddie live about 1 hour north of me. we get these birdies all the time. and other assorted wildlife in the woods. you should have moved to PA instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the wild things are more near your part of the woods!!!!

      Delete
  3. I was telling my DIL about your bird feeding operation today and all the birdy visitors you get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wouldn't believe the feed I go through. I'm up to three bags a week!!!

      Delete
  4. What a collection of lovely pictures. I still can not believe those cardinals will feed on your sill. I also thank you for the red winged blackbird. I saw one, and didn't know what it was and it was driving me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I go up to the lake I see a ton of them in the cattails.

      Delete
  5. How cute is the duck???? I sure hope she will fare well if she nests there with the fox. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now....do you then open the window and let the feathered ones in to put bows in you hair and sashs to your dress all the while you bake a pie and have a sing song?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *runs finger along Anita's arm and licks it* HA! Just as I suspected.....bitter.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! Capturing the best of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it lovely to have a relaxing weekend every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots as always. How do you manage to get so close up? You can see such details on some of these birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use one of three cameras. I have two digital cameras or I use my cell phone.

      Delete
  10. I love this post. The birds sure do flock to you. They must know where their bread is buttered.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll say one thing...you give good bird!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your kitchen island with the flowers....and the mourning doves are always my favorite. Their so gentle. What a cheery post

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to see the feathered friends back at the Casa. Not a big fan of the pollen floating around though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a morning post to wake too. I don't get many birds, so I am having my coffee looking at yours. Great captures. I live yellow, so I'm loving the golden finch and tulips.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!