Wednesday, January 3, 2024

BACK IN PORTOFINO

 

Call me crazy, but I could easily live in hotels. It's one of my favorite parts when on vacation. I know many hate staying away from home, but I love having the room service, food and a bar at your fingertips, and a pool to soak and swim in. Fresh towels and room service if you prefer. I probably should get a job staying in hotel after hotel and do critique and reviews?!?! Chains can be good, but I love a good boutique hotel. While in Portofino we stayed most of the time at the Hotel Splendido. Which did not disappoint. Housed in a 16th century monastery building with fabulous views over the bay. It was definitely a Grande dame of hotels. It had excellent appointed rooms, delicious food and exceptional service.  The Splendido is set in lush, terraced gardens, and the interior was rather uber chic, not to mention a footpath that led down to the pretty quayside with its shops, cafes and restaurants. Matter of facts, we even spent two whole days at the hotel, just relaxing and enjoying the pool and gardens. 

This was our room welcome.
 We also were upgraded once there to the Ava Gardner Room!
On the balcony one day! Me and birds.
I called this guy Mr Frisk. We met him at the hotel and talked with him several times. He was traveling on his own, and the last night for all of us, brought about copious amounts of drinks!
And not far from the hotel was this fabulous lighthouse.
 A little history...The Portofino lighthouse was built on 1917 and consists of a white quadrangular tower, 16 feet high, with balcony and lantern, attached to a two-story white keeper's house. The lantern, painted grey metallic and emits a flash every five seconds in now completely automated. While still a lighthouse the terrace surrounding it also serves as a lounge terrace to enjoys the views, the breeze and a few libations.
And no Cali Boi...that is not me laying on my back casting that shadow.
What a trip. 
I'm ready to go back and live the rest of my life there, if the hotel wouldn't mind a lifelong guest?!?! 

25 comments:

  1. That's not you casting a shadow--hahahahaha! Whether I want to stay in a hotel depends on how nice the hotel is and who I have in my bed for company. Room service can be awfully nice, along with a beautiful view.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, I have never ordered rom service for dinner much. Maybe 4 times in my whole life. But love the clean rooms and fresh towels!!!

      Delete
  2. Oh, that shadow joke got me laughing out loud. Can I assume Mr. Frisk lives up to his name?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh, well, he was a bit frisky....and had that shadow been me, I just know Cali Boi will make a joke if he sees this...and he might know first-hand, pun intended, what shadow my junk would possess.

      Delete
  3. Mr Frisk looks so sexy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice backside, Mr. Frisk.

    I could definitely get used to living in a hotel and having nearly everything [including a Frisk?] at my fingertips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so fun to meet someone to have fun with while we were traveling. I felt bad he was traveling by himself...but he was very social, so I assume he doesn't have many issues with it.

      Delete
    2. Alright, so MAYBE it is not QUITE as thick as that!!!

      Delete
  5. I agree, hotels are a nice way to live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I worked for Marriott for 11 years, hotels are okay to visit for a few days, but that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know about the Marriott, but this hotel I could live in for some time!

      Delete
  7. GORGEOUS!!!!! Like I said, Evil Under the Sun vibes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting here in Brooklyn listening to the traffic. How about if we meet in portofino tomorrow? That hotel will do fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A trip to Italy --- from top to bottom --- is still on my bucket list. 'Course, everything on my bucket list is still there. ....sigh.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, you could get to this hotel and plant yourself at the pool and take in these views!!!!

      Delete
  10. If only Italy weren't moving far-rightwards it would be almost perfect - good food, beautiful scenery, amazing places to visit, the Med and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my God. I'm dying over here with that shadow joke!

    That would be a nice place to visit for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days?!?!?!? I was thinking more like months!!!!

      Delete
  12. Hmm. I really do need to upgrade my life. Sigh. You do what others only dream, dear. Adore. Kizzes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to dream...but lucky for me my friend, MM#1 Fan kicked my ass got me traveling aboard now!!!

      Delete
  13. Im so glad you take the time to travel and splurge on a nice hotel. We all need to be pampered and only live once. And you live! Gorgeous pictures. These posts have moved it right up the bucket list by a couple slots.

    And why do I gather you and MM#1 Fan really got to know Mr Frisk quite well????

    ReplyDelete
  14. That lighthouse looks so interesting to explore! I would also tend to agree with you, I could live in that hotel for a few months easily. I wonder if I fit the bill, my daughter would go to Portofino? These pictures are so pretty, and love the balcony peeking Bird.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Im packing my bag ...let's go!!!! I love this trip, might be on of my favorites you've gone on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How luxurious Portofino is, and I bet a certain someone got frisky with Mr Frisk :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok, I can see why now maybe you didn't make it more to P-town. How does it even compete with this?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!