Thursday, May 24, 2018

LIFE IN HEELS

I have long said if you have questions email me. Well Tim, who has been into drag race lately sent a email, put in short terms, how did I started drag, why I did drag, what was my  style like and why did I stop.  Well, that could be a huge answer dear. I'll try to keep this in short terms. For moi, drag started with a group of us doing drag for Halloween for a gag. The only thing was myself and good friend Vera, really enjoyed it. So we would occasionally do drag for parties. This continued for some time. After I came out and dated two guys, the first two no less, I got burnt by both. Fed up, I turned to drag as a means to escape and keep men at bay. Can you believe those words just came out of my mouth? Tis true. So I started doing drag more, at parties and going out to clubs, then hosting and becoming a scene queen I call them. While I did shows, it wasn't to the extent like queens who do it weekly. I was more the one who was seen everywhere ,and became known for the drag. Originally the name was Madeline Wesley. But my look was not innocent enough for that name. I once saw a married man, and a friend referred to me as Mistress. DING DING  DING! Mistress Maddie. But as the drag got more perfected, another friend was like your style is a bit more camp elegant, you need a more chic name. Well at the time I used Borghese make up. The Mistress Borghese stuck....just Maddie to close friends. But it got to the point where in or out of drag, everybody called me Maddie. Call me Steven, and I wouldn't even hear you. I guess I continued drag because 1- it was fun 2- kept men at bay and 3- I love seeing the transformations every time and still do. And I do love glamour. While I was never in pageants and shows weekly, I was more like I said ,a scene queen...think Amanda Lepore, most notably. The show would have to have a charity attached for me to be in it. But the Mistress would shake the floor up on the weekends, sometimes clearing the whole floor to put on a performances ….and stand back when the high kicks started. I LOVE dancing. I would wave, vogue, ball, I loved it all and still do.

The first time ever in drag! YIKES!
 The dancing became my trademark as well as big hair and often with accoutrements in it. I did netting, jewels, doves, birds feathers, plumes, seashells, butterflies, branches, fans, and flowers. Even did Carmen Miranda once. The forms of drag for me were either campy but chic, or chic and fishy. With different technique in make up would change the whole look.

Two months ago. Chi and fishy.
Javier, the handsome genus photographer.

One night while out of drag, years later, I met a guy.... and we would end up bring together for five years. A couple of months in one night, while talking, he told me of a fabulous drag queen he met one night and was funny, catty , but beautiful. The more he talked and describe the queen, I said dear, that was me. He was shocked. We laughed, but he had at this point never seen he get ready, or in drag, since we met. A huge party was coming and everyone wanted the Mistress present. Well he almost fell over when he saw the transformation.He couldn't understand how a  cute guy could also be a beautiful woman he said. I said, DRAG QUEEN. Well, once the Mistress was out, she wanted out more. In the long run, he could not accept the drag thing, and I came close to never doing drag again. He was very uncomfortable when people found out who I was. But even his own mother wanted to go out one night with me in drag  he blew. Well, I wasn't about to give in, being the wild child I am.  I called it quits, after not doing drag for a couple months.  Most of my friends were like it's a part of you, don't give in.
After he was out of the picture the Mistress Borghese was back with a vengeance. But most guys didn't care about dating a drag queen. If they know the queen was cute out of drag they didn't care. When I finally went on to date the ex boy toy, we were together for 11 years and he loved the Mistress. Most guys have more issues with cross dressers then drag queens and that where my first ex was mixed up. He viewed drag as cross dressing and it isn't. 

After moving with the Boy Toy, who I share custody of Buster with, to Philadelphia, drag continued for some time, But when I entered my current job I found less and less time to do drag, not to mention from working out, my body was getting more built...and while I still enjoyed drag, my interests changed slightly. Over a little more time, after around 22 years of drag I decide to hang it up. I have since sold about 3/4 of the drag and wigs, but kept a small storage unit of select things for the few show where I make appearances.
Closet at one time
A wigs and head piece ….soon to be in the fabulous Pearl Gates's clutches!!!

 But a queen never truly never not does drag again. I still do the occasional show or party, and we just did  a photo shoot of Philly queens, above, I posted some time back. 

Two weeks ago at Gay Bingo in Philly. This was my more campy chic drag.
And did I mention I love high heels. I would swear to date, it's why my legs are built.
I will always love my drag and drag persona....and I will always have drag. It takes a personality, big balls, a TON of time getting ready, and not to mention the money it takes for wigs, costumes and such. If you see a queen out performing at a show tip her a few $1's These queens are exhausted even thought they may look stunning. So while I may not do drag anymore.. semi- retired, lol, it's why I enjoy my weekly Grande Dame post to still showcase drag, but in a different way. Thanks Tim for your query.

Whew......I need a gin. 

41 comments:

  1. That was a great post. I long said your not to be trifled with. Do you still talk to the first guy girl? Of course you know I think your fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While we never did talk again after the split, I did hear through the grape vine he passed away about three years ago of some form of cancer.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing your fascinating and intimate story with us. You look fabulous and stunning. Your artistry and gorgeous touch now radiates in your design work. You are an artist and the art! A vibrant, spectacular masterpiece!

    Snaps fingers: Wooorrrkkk!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eros...your words are always so kind. Seems Im always drawn into art in some form.

      Delete
  3. I would have no problem dating a drag queen especially if they are like you! I could never understand a guy not dating a drag queen...it's not like your dressed 27 /7. I can only assumes they are not confident with themselves or their sexuality. Bravo to you for standing by your wish and dreams. But you are stunning boy!!!!! Thanks for the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be on to something if your comment. I am actually surprise by how many straight guys I was nervous to be around, and they just ate it up.

      You can play music for me anytime time.

      Delete
  4. Im jealous.....those heels!!!!!!! I'm a woman and can't walk in 2" heels!!!!

    I thoroughly enjoyed this post Mistress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can come paint me some time tootes.

      Delete
  5. This made me tear up for some reason. Maybe it's the shoes. In that picture of your first time, you look a lot like Julia Duffy. Thanks for sharing, sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mean to make you tear up...oh dear. But funny you say Julia Duffy...I've gotten that before...while in other pictures I've heard Lucille Ball.

      Delete
  6. I have been present for your getting ready process and still can't believe the finished product.

    And yes everybody...I have no problem saying is a cute guy get in bed!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there is more to you two then you let on. Racy as your comment... it's touching.

      Delete
  7. I'm with Deedles. This post got me teary eyed, because who could turn away and not love such art and talent?!?!? But you are not to be caged....your too vibrant and never let anyone tell you different girl.

    Kudo to the ex and the Lad...real men.

    And your cute, so if all else fails I'd take you!!!!! Now gimmie that wig!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be seeing you sooner than later so hold your britches on will you?

      Delete
  8. Great story and photos of outright fabulousness!

    And the shoes!!! Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, at one time walked better in heels then sneakers!!!

      Delete
  9. Good gravy - those shoes!!! Great story. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I take that as a yes to mail them to you?

      Delete
  10. Thank you for answering my emails questions. I would never have the personality to do drag but find it very fascinating. You are quite something. Same the one guy was such a dud. I hope when find out when I'm coming to see New Hope we will be able to finally meet. I might be nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are just so gorgeous, darling! Absolutely loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well having met you in person, I know where a handsome dude, but the drag still blows me away. Listen I love men and have dated big muscle boy and manly men, and I would have no problem dating a drag queen. It's only a character like when actors act. It what's underneath that counts.


    Your stunning either way kid. I wish I was at that BINGO!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you been drinking again? You throw me off with this soft side.

      Delete
    2. Cali-Boi, "...It what's underneath that counts...

      A penis?
      ;)


      Delete
  13. my ex-husband was a cross dresser.

    you make a better looking woman than I do, dear. those platform shoes! those wigs! that makeup! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes....i think I remember you telling me that once at one of our lunches. Next meeting....who knows who would show up.

      Delete
  14. This was a fabulous post, and damn you look good girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, thanks, Tim, for your query! And thanks to you for that open and in-depth response. This is fascinating. YOU are fascinating. And breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have to say, you are gorgeous as The Mistress. I think it's great that you still do a show now and then - especially if it's connected to charity. Extra hugs for that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beaitiful.....inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mistress.....what a nice post. I too have learned more about you. Drag queens are fun, And you looks so stunning. I can't imagine either why a guy would have a issue with dating someone who does drag maybe he was just jealous your stunning and handsome!?!? I absolutely love your looks. I enjoy learning more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That first picture is the first time you ever did drag? You already look like you had it down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Mistress, for sharing your story and those wonderful photos! No wonder you are a legend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad you had fun with your life, so many don't. Growth and change are necessary, and the new us is always better than the old us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the post! I have been fascinated by watching you do the tucking!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ugh!!!!! Looking at the second last picture, that makes me so angry! It's so typical, the exact same thing always happens to me when I wear a shiny pink dress with a blonde wig to an important event like a wedding, wake or funeral! Some "b" will show up with the same color and ironically it's usually my aunt Margery who often fails to shave her beard as well!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this post also. So glad you didn't give in. And with your style Night of a Thousand Gowns is calling your name.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well having met you at the woods, I can see how you'd be a stunning queen. But to be nice looking either way!?!?!

    AND how do you tuck? I've seen you in your swim suit!!! I need to meet the mistress one day now.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was an enlightening and amazing read, thank you, Mistress (and thanks to Tim for asking)!

    "Whew......I need a gin" - Just the one, dear?

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!