Monday, November 14, 2011

House Over Waterfall

I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend! I had a most relaxing one, as I had a lovely fall get away with the Lad and it was over due. I was very excited to cross another item off the bucket list in addition to the Alexander McQueen exhibit this year, Fallingwater. Fallingwater is a house designed by North American architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1935 in rural southwestern Pennsylvania, 50 miles southeast of Pittsburgh. The home was built partly over a waterfall on Bear Run in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, in the Laurel Highlands of the Allegheny Mountains. Talk about some beautiful scenery!!!! It was about a 5 1/2 hour drive, but so worth the time to see!


Frank Lloyd Wright completed Fallingwater in 1937, and months later Time magazine put the house on its cover, proclaiming it the architect's "most beautiful job." Ayn Rand based much of her 1943 classic, The Fountainhead, on Wright and the house he had wrought. Wright designed it at his professional nadir, as a mountain retreat for Pittsburgh retail mogul Edgar J. Kaufmann, who owned the elegant and successful Kaufmann's Department Store who wanted a home near the waterfalls of Bear Run. Wright took that notion to its extreme. "I want you to live with the waterfall," he is said to have told Kaufmann, "not just to look at it." Cantilevered concrete terraces hover some 30 feet above the falls. The incessant sound of rushing water permeates the home, yet never overwhelms. A boulder juts through the living room and doubles as a hearth. Low ceilings direct attention outside. During my visit to the house, I was struck by Wright's vanishing windows, which open outward from wall corners, leaving no panes to obstruct the wilderness view. The interior was not my style, but I could appreciate it. I think it was the furnishings I didn't like. I was more blown away by the exterior by far! When the Mistress buys the place she can always replace the furnishings and update the joint, you know , for when I move in!


But I must admit, overall I was left in awe! The bed and breakfast was also very quaint and secluded. It was a gay owned place and the couple in the next room was straight!!!! It was so funny, and we hit it off with them since most of the other couples there were much older than us. We all had some nice cock-a-tails and conversation in the jacuzzi and were in bed by 1:30am! (Me and the Lad, not all of us!!!) Early by my standards. What a great rejuvenating weekend. Now to get through the week! Tootles.

21 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to visit Falling Water. Ever since I studied it in a college art history course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That house is absolutely amazing. The waterfall is just epic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so on one of my Must-See places.
    i'm a huuuuuge Wright fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11/14/2011

    I find this very interesting since I not only love this house but I'm reading The Fountainhead on my tablet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to Falling Water last summer; I had wanted to visit for a few years. It is out-of-the-way but the drive is pleasant and the destination is well worth the effort. The tour groups are limited in size and that makes the whole visit very intimate and very personal. I loved it! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob- You and Carlos really should go plan to see it! Pictures really DO NOT do it justice. I was very pleasantly suprised. I really enjoyed it much more then expected. And the area and woods is just amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rj- Thanks for the tip. I have never read that but now I would love too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited Fallingwater some years ago, when the repairs had just begun. Even with the construction work and scaffolding, the place was breathtaking. How good to know it has been fully restored and will remain an iconic Pennsylvania landmark!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crap. Yet another place to add to my list.

    The interior? All Arts & Craft? If so, I can live with that.

    Also makes me think that I need to make a trip to the Marin Civic Center for you, another Frank Lloyd Wright designed building.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That house looks magical. I did not know that the Fountainhead guy was based on Right. Very educational!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow that is a gorgeous place love the folige and the house is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! I love it. If ever I'm in that area I will definitely have to check it out.

    I want the bookcase lined stairs.. well if I had a second level that is. ;)

    Sounds like you had a wonderful time Mistress.

    Huggs
    CoreyJo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's on my list to see in person. Also a big fan of Wright's and have visited a few of his other designs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. An amazing house built by one of the greatest architects of all time.... what a great weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. During a Business trip to Allentown, PA, my husband and I drove 4 hours one way to see Fallingwater and tour it. It was worth every second of the way there and back.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great fall weekend Mitsress for you and your Lad! I have seen it plenty of times. Truly amazing. Frank Lloyd Right is one of the smartest people on earth... no average architect would design a house like that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you guys had a great weekend there! I couldn't ingine so much beauty looking at those windows! It is really an amazing house....and he drew it all out in less than three hours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have always seen Fallingwater and it is on my bucketlist too! You sure do have tons of fun girl!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So when do we and the house boys move in???

    ReplyDelete
  20. So jealous. I can't believe I have never made it there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11/16/2011

    Amazing that Fallingwater was completed in the late 1930's! Frank Lloyd Wright was a True Visionary -so very far ahead of his time. I am thrilled to learn the restoration is completed, having read about it some years back. Great venue, beautiful photos, Fantastic Post!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!